Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2013
Country
US
State
MI
I have terrible back pain, but also muscle spasms in entire upper back, shoulders, neck. My dr. keeps telling me to exercise instead of giving me pain meds. I don't think she would be pushing the exercise thing so hard if I was a skinny girl. What do you think? I'm going to walk, like she suggests, not sure what it will do for my shoulders. I just want some opinions on this.

Hi 2young4this, good to meet you. It is really hard to exercise when you are in pain, no doubt about it.

For myself, gentle exercise is really important to help control my symptoms. It seems counter intuitive, but when I feel myself starting to get really tired and the pain gets bad (for me it is mostly in my hands) a 10 minute walk can restore me. I don't need to walk fast or get my pulse rate up, just move around a little.

As for weight bias, it is certainly possible. Sometimes discrimination is a conscious choice, but more often it is caused by implicit bias the person is not even aware of.

Here is my 2 cents, for what it is worth... You might be able to bypass whatever biases your doctor has by making an agreement with her as to what goals you are trying to reach with your treatments. Then keep a log of treatments and symptoms. By keeping your focus on the goals and your results you can keep her from being distracted by weight bias, or you draw the prejudice out into the open where you can see it clearly.

Welcome. For me to movement helps .ive had days where I can hardly walk. But by walking snails peace it helps easy it to the point I'm not so stiff. I'm not a skinny girl ,but at 42 years old I've started a fruit and veg diet ,because this illness will pile on the pounds . Now if you are happy being what ever weight you are ,then I'd tell the Dr. Look Dr I no you look at me and see a fat person, but I'm happy the size I am and no nagging from you is going to change that.
Be upfront .x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back