Not open for further replies.

Mezzanin

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
london
Hi Posted on this forum about a month ago questioning whether I had Fibromyalgia.

I am still experiencing many of the same symptoms:

Pretty consistent burning feeling on the soles of my feet and palms of hands sometimes migrating to upper back. It is not extremely painful but it is really uncomfortable.

Can't sleep more then a few hours at a time (6 weeks now).

Right shoulder aches and so does jaw but controlled by Nurofen.

I saw a top fibromyalgia doc last Monday and he says I do not have Fibromyalgia as I do not have any tender point sensitivity whatsoever. Nor any other muscle skeletal pain. Nor sensitivity to sound or light. And although fatigued I don't suffer memory problems (fibro fog)

I just just found out I am perimenopausal but when I visited my GP today he thought I had Fibro (he does not know I saw this doctor as I paid privately).

I am so confused and so tired and really anxious. i just want to know what is wrong with me.

Could my symptoms be the start of Fibromyalgia?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mezz x

Last edited:
Have you seen a Neurologist for the burning in your palms and your feet (and is it just in your palms and not your fingertips?). Did the doctor you saw for the fibro test run blood tests to rule out auto-immune diseases?

It is just my palms. Never finger tips and soles of feet.
My doctor has sent a fax to the local hospital for blood tests and to a rheumatologist to test for Lupus, Lyme, Fibromyalgia.
I didn't tell him I had been to see the Fibromyalgia doctor at Guys because I thought he would not make further appointments. He said my symptoms were out of his depth.
(I am not diabetic and everything else is fine- B12, folic acid etc)

Hrm. I don't know what to say except good luck with the tests!

Mezzanin,
Welcome to the forum. As you might know just because we have fibro, we can't say if you have it or not. But I will say that a lot of dieases start out with the same symptoms. And sometimes they take years to develop. So what you have now might all come together sometime down the road. Sometimes change of life can cause hormonal changes in our bodies that cause weird feelings and odd symptoms. Othertimes it can be related to some activity we did or overdid and then it comes back to bite us.

Fibro could be part of it along with something else. Just try not to worry to much and listen to your doctors. If the rheumatologist thinks your okay, then you might consider a neurologist. It could also be an allergy to something your eating or using. Like I said a lot of different conditions can have the same begining symptoms. Talk it over with your doctor and try to be patient. Good luck.

Just know you are welcome to come here and share in and read some of the tips and ideas we have written about, as they may help you to handle some of your problems and give you some relief. :)

I have had some testing and nothing thus far is conclusive. The Rheumy I was referred to thought "may be" fibro, but then backed off. His diagnosis is myalgia, and he "thinks" it could be related to disc disease and arthritis in my c-spine. The only symptom that explains is pain. No explanation for chronic fatigue, insomnia, fog/memory problems and occasional language issues. There are no other physicians within a 100 mile radius who can help with this, so I am waiting until later in the year when I will be visiting my son who lives in VA and has a superior health system. :-?

I am sorry to hear that Achy and I hope that you get to the bottom of what is wrong with you.

I don't have memory fog or pain just annoying burning sensations, mostly worse when i walk and sleep problems (nothing gets me to sleep longer then 4 hours (not even zopiclone).

i have another appointment on July 1st so i guess I'll have to wait and see. Very weird and annoying but having gone on many menopause forums it would seem that my problems are consistent with perimenopause. This is what I am hoping for. I had been and still am worried that my symptoms were the beginning of Fibromyalgia. But this Fibro doctor was insistent that it wasn't so I guess I have to take him at his word.

Thanks to everybody that responded. Very kind and thoughtful these past two months have been hell, mainly the stress of not knowing what is wrong with me.

Mezz xx

Mezz, too bad you have to wait so long, just take care of yourself in the meantime. I had menopausal issues for about 10 years, then I had a hysterectomy and the symptoms were immediately gone! Now, I didn't have the surgery because of the MP symptoms - many other issues - uterine and ovarian cysts primarily. BUT I have not for one day regretted the surgery - no worries about uterine or ovarian cancer either. OK, enough of all this happy news, huh? Hope you find something to help with your symptoms. Take care and God bless.

I don't have Fibromyalgia, but my mom does. My palms and knees get really itchy and burn a little when I get nervous or embarrassed. I've noticed that putting lotion on those areas relieves the pain. Maybe I (and maybe you) have dry skin, and it negatively affects the nerves?

Hope that helps!

I don't have Fibromyalgia, but my mom does. My palms and knees get really itchy and burn a little when I get nervous or embarrassed. I've noticed that putting lotion on those areas relieves the pain. Maybe I (and maybe you) have dry skin, and it negatively affects the nerves?

Hope that helps!

Has your doctor spoken with you about B12? I have a friend who is dealing with
non-diabetic neuropathy that started because of a severe lack of B12. I thought of it
because it started with a few of the things you mentioned (mostly the feet thing.)

I hope you will soon find out what's going on so you can put your mind at ease!
Problem is that the same symptoms can often point to a number of different illnesses.

I was diagnosed with dermatomyositis in April 2012, which is a rare autoimmune disease. My immune system attacks my skin and muscle. But lately I've been feeling like I may have Fibro also, but I really don't want to bring it up to my Rheumy because he is already difficult to talk to, plus I hear there really is no specific test for fibro. So I'm hoping to learn all I can from others with the condition, that's how I have learned about my current disease. It seems we have to be our own advocates.

Nikilee, that really stinks when we feel that we can't say whatever we need to say to our doctors. :-(
Do you have another doc like a GP who may be easier to talk with? Is there a reason (like an insurance
demanded list of providers) that you need to go to that particular doctor if you're not comfortable talking
to him?

I actually do have a great general practitioner now that you mention it, and it's thanks to him that I was finally diagnosed with the DM. Thanks for reminding me about him! I will give him a call and set up an appointment. Hopefully he doesn't tell me to see the rheumy! lol

I guess I'm just so used to seeing the rheumy all of the time, thank you for reminding me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back