Do I keep going to the rheumatologist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may or may not work but there are "acupuncture pens" which some people use on themselves. They sell really inexpensive ones-$10-which makes me suspicious if all of them are good. I have no idea if they work because my husband, who attended acupuncture school, just applies pressure on my points or uses moxa. Moxa is another very viable, inexpensive option. It definitely, absolutely 1000% works to relieve my tender points. It's essentially a pungent herb burning like a cigar that you hold near your skin. It works far better for me than acupuncture because acupuncture sort of backfired for me lol

Question: What supplements do any of you recommend for fibromyalgia? Just wondering.

Question: What supplements do any of you recommend for fibromyalgia? Just wondering.
▶️ Here's a fairly recent list of 'all' my supps, with details, ▶️ here recent for inflammation and pain, ▶️ here for fog / alertness, ▶️ here for energy / ATP / fatigue, ▶️ here for sleep and my order of effectiveness / importance. Or ask for details... 👐

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I bought Magnesium Malate 400mg and wanted to know if that dose is okay and not too much. Will add COQ10 next. Do I get Ubiquinol?

Magnesium Malate 400mg and wanted to know if that dose is okay and not too much.
Good! That probably means 400mg of elemental magnesium per day (6 capsules?), which means 3.6g of magnesium malate and would be around or slightly above the recommended daily dose of magnesium - women more like 350mg/d. The arguments against and for full dose are: you take some up with your food vs. maybe your gut is compromised and can't do it as it should. For some conditions considerably higher amounts are given, but there, benefits may outweigh the risks.
The most clear thing to watch for is your gut, if that's a problem: Although malate is a form easier on the gut, the magnesium itself may start getting laxative. I noticed this when I took the malate and the glycinate without reducing to keep the total under.
I'd stopped the magnesiums in the last month, but have started again due to reading a few things I'd written somewhere making it seem a bit helpful for me, e.g. for sleep (which was great, now pretty moderate again). Usually glycinate is recommended for evenings/night and malate for pain in the daytime, but it seems to be the other way round for me. Glycine can be excitatory for some - that'd be me 🙃.
Will add COQ10 next. Do I get Ubiquinol?
Good question. i started on ubiquinone, then swapped to ubiquinol because of its higher bioavailability. Main problem is all the research evidence is based on ubiquinone. Plus in my case a concentration above 150mg of ubiquinone is unfavourable for certain blood lipids of mine. So I've gone back to ubiquinone. I thought ubiquinol was more expensive, but in actual fact I wouldn't say it is. Ubiquinol is more standardized. As ubiquinone is popular it took me about 20h to find a good vegan (HPMC-capsule) product with only rice as additive. That's easier with ubiquinol. Take either of the two with selenium (Teitelbaum says only use Se for 6 months, so I stopped... after 9). Take ubiquinone with oil/fat/meals, ubiquinol any time. It seems to help some people to take extremely high doses (e.g. 1.8g!) for fatigue I think it was, especially just a single dose. I tried it once out of frustration: nothing.
(May help keep your nose free btw, but praps only ubiquinone.)

Last edited:
The magnesium malate I have is a 400mg pill. I have ibs-c so a laxative effect is ok wme lol.

The magnesium malate I have is a 400mg pill. I have ibs-c so a laxative effect is ok wme lol.
Well, that means the elemental magnesium in one pill is only 44mg (11%), so you should/can take up to 8 pills a day.

Why does it say 400mg then? What else does it contain?

Why does it say 400mg then? What else does it contain?
Magnesium is a white metal, so it's combined to a fixed "compound" with some other substance, in this case malic acid (from apples) = C4H4MgO5. (Same way as water is a compound of hydrogen and oxygen = H2O.).
How much "elemental" Mg it actually contains depends on the other substance(s), in the case of malate = 11%.
Elemental = magnesium as a chemical "element" as opposed to a chemically fixed component of the compound.
The problem with this is that some webpages and even some docs don't know this and so don't specify. Good way of cheating people, too. The other way companies do this is by calling the product by a fancy name, like "orthomolecular", and praising one property but not the whole.

Two common cheap forms are magnesium carbonate, with 42% magnesium, but is much less bioavailable (5-30%) and magnesium oxide (60%), which is only 4% bioavailable, so a high percentage of magnesium doesn't help at all.
The malate and glycinate forms have a very high bioavailability, so work more effectively.

There are >25 compounds of magnesium, and more have been and are being developed, e.g. magnesium L-threonate by the MIT, to improve its properties for brain, nerves etc..

Last edited:
Yes you are so right about us all suffering differently. This morning I feel so tired I just don’t feel as though I’m here. I am taking extra meds because of terrible pain and discomfort in both hips but although Iv just had an X-ray it could be fibromyalgia. Good luck in your journey and welcome to our forum. Nan❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back