Not open for further replies.

Fran

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
I finally got to see a doctor. More tests are in order, but I have nerve damage for sure. They are talking about different options. They don't want me on the Vicodin anymore. Lyrica has been brought up.

My sister said she fel that Lyrica was a drug that you had to keep taking. That once you start it, going off of it could have some negative effects on the body. Is this true?

Fran, funny you bring this subject up. I have been taking Lyrica for 2 years now. I take 200mg a day. I have been getting it from a mail order prescription program. I thought I had a good supply and then discovered this past Sunday that what I thought was a full bottle actually was empty. I am now waiting to get a new supply by mail order. The doctors office does not have any samples I can use. I have no medical insurance and pay the mail order company $55 a month for my Lyrica and Cymbalta...take 120mg of that a day. I asked the nurse this morning what side effects I would have if I don't take the Lyrica and she said there are none. Whether this is true or not I really don't want to find out. The doctor's office has phoned in a 30 day supply for me to my pharmacy and so I now have to pay full price for it today. I did print off a coupon for 87% off Lyrica from Lyrica's website so hoping I can use it. If not I may decide just to stop taking it until it comes through in the mail.

I actually weaned myself off of Lyrica. This isn't something I would suggest for most, I was a Pharmacy Technician, so I knew how to do it correctly. If I missed more than one dose I paid for it. I had major withdrawals and got very sick. I don't know if that was just me or not.

I don't think once you start that you have to stay on it forever. As I wrote, I'm off of it, and I know others that were taken off of it as well.

Fran, I think the answer to your question varies from person to person. Some people avoid taking benzos because they cause addiction, and guess what? That's true! My mom is having such a hard time trying to quit ''Clonazepam''. She is now dizzy everyday.

I doubt Lyrica has the same effects, since those are two different medications, but most medications come with a lot side effects. I thought it was important to mention that. That's why I don't take a lot pain meds anymore, only when I truly need it. My kidneys need some rest!

I'd advice you to research a bit more on this medication in specific. You never know what you could find. I always research a medication before I start taking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back