Do you work full-time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just occurred to me to ask: what kind of cookies do you bake?
anymore, none - but i used to love making chocolate chip and snickerdoodles! 😁

and yeah, if I could have more here, i would, but our current canine kid has to be an only canine child..
the cat seems to be an ok sibling in her mind, but other dogs, not so much.

I'm a big advocate for heading in a direction that is most likely to accommodate you at your worst.

It sounds like your worst might make self-employment with residual/passive income ideal. With an urgent need for stable income, however, that scenario might need to be a longterm goal.

Short term, stable income: My 2 best job experiences were at volunteer-driven agencies. The agencies built into their business model how to run things when there aren't enough people on deck. They also attracted very caring and understanding people - both the volunteers and staff were. When I started having seizures I got understanding and grace from all of them.

Hope this helps!

The above photo would be about me except with dogs, if I had my way about it. The small space I live in means I am limited in how many I can have, though. :)
Dogs are greeeat! Do you have 1 right now? We have 0 😭

anymore, none - but i used to love making chocolate chip and snickerdoodles! 😁
I really love snickerdoodles. They are too rare
and yeah, if I could have more here, i would, but our current canine kid has to be an only canine child..
the cat seems to be an ok sibling in her mind, but other dogs, not so much.
Tell me about your pets cookiebaker!

I'd rather be poor and have time for my wellbeing!
Yes, definitely!
I'm sad to give up a lot of things, but I'm also hopeful I'll be able to reintegrate some of them as my financial stresses lessen
I'm sure you will. 👐 Maybe differently, but none the less intense.
Altogether my life I wonder if my life has become more intense now, partly in a different way: Much more quality time.
what kind of work will suit a condition that flares up unexpectedly, or that pushes me over the edge if I try to do too much.
I wonder if it's worth and possible to somehow test this before deciding on something full fling?
That's how I went about making sure of my 2nd career decision,
whilst in that one, now with fibro, it was a case of testing "inside" what works and what hurts...

Dogs are greeeat! Do you have 1 right now? We have 0 😭
Two at the moment and a cat, but I usually have three or sometimes four dogs. I want to get another dog but one of mine is quite elderly. A new dog always takes a lot of time and energy in one way or three, and I don't want the attention taken away from my beloved elder, so I am not looking. I always have to have at least two, though, because I cannot be without any dog at all, not even for a day.

Of course, if a dog came along that I knew was and needed to be Mine, I would bring him or her home anyway and make it work. If it wouldn't work with my elder dog I wouldn't think the dog was Mine in the first place. I can always tell with an animal, usually right away.

I am an advocate for people to have companion animals, especially those who do not live with other human beings. They can make all the difference in a person's life. "Who rescued who" is not just a cute phrase, but a statement of many people's lives. Animals save lives.

"Who rescued who" is not just a cute phrase, but a statement of many people's lives. Animals save lives.
Yes they do!!!

we tried to go dog free after losing the last one (lost him far too soon, but nothing could really be done to help him) that lasted all of 6 months.. the house just felt empty - even tho we had the cat, it was just not the same.. we are used to having larger dogs.. 40-75lbs on average, lol domestic cats cant even come close to that kind of weight, and the one we have is on the smaller side.. maybe 7lbs? While she is loved, it just is not the same.

I am also a big advocate of "Adopt, dont shop!" So many good dogs need fur-ever homes.
Save a dog by adopting, save TWO lives - theirs and yours!

All of my animals are rescues. I am a strong advocate for that. You really can get any kind of dog or cat companion animal you want through a shelter or through rescues if you can just give up on the instant gratification attitude so many people unfortunately have, and wait a little while for the right one to come along. Guaranteed you will find a wonderful companion. There are so many pure breed rescues these days that you can even get a beautiful purebred dog if that is what you fancy.

I agree with what you say.some ppl do give up.
And some ppl carry on.Because some have to.thats life.unless your very well off .I think mentally giving up isn't the answer. Do we all hurt yes .But really none of us give up do we.we keep going in anyway we can.point in case my tramadol. Some ppl hate the idea I'm on it.But I got a child and 2 elderly parents .We all find our own way.

I would like to hear from anyone who is able to hold down a full-time job. How do you do it? Did you tell your employer about fibro? What about applying for new full-time jobs? How do you manage the harder days and still work a full day? And would you be able to do it if you lived alone?

I ask because I want to know what’s possible and realistic for me. I was diagnosed with fibro over a year ago and I’m still learning to manage it. So far, I have nowhere near 8 hours/day of productivity in me! (before this, I was a SAHM with no boss--or paycheck; now I'm a single mom running out of money).

I appreciate your insights. Thanks!
You've already got a lot of great responses to this thread, and I am not sure how much more I can add. However, I do think it is important to emphasize that you can do something and there is no expectation that you measure up to the abilities of others. We are all different. I think what truly matters is if it feels like you're doing your best to meet your own expectations and goals. Your own personal value as a person does not come from the amount of hours that you can work. I personally can work a full 45-hour work week, but it is very difficult, and I have difficult balancing my priorities. I am far from perfect, and managing my health is something I have to keep a keen eye on. What matters is what fits for you and your life, you know? It reminds of this quote I've heard before, that "Comparison is the thief of joy.". I think we all have to learn to celebrate our own success, and not compare our success to the people around us. Sometimes our wins don't seem as "big" when we compare them to other people. In any event, you can do this, and I am sure you can find something that fits for you.

Sincerely,
- Rex

This is a good conversation and it shows just how easily words can get jumbled up and miss read .
Some days , like today I do feel so lazy and just want to stay on the recliner,
Today when the flare ups have been big long one that’s all I can do.
Then there’s days I am that bone aching fatigued I can barely move and just need a good cry but I have to go to some shopping. I grit my teeth and have to get it done and once back home I collapse . No one else to do it.
I had my regular osteopath appointment yesterday and wow what a dr he is, so caring. He has found a rash on my back which is really itchy and painful at the same time. He told me to keep an eye on it as it could be early start of shingles. Oh bless him he just awesome. He found that same but extremely painful shingles on my T10 nerve pathway April 2020, would never wish it on anyone. It’s a cruel thing to have. I am hoping to get onto my gp and organise a shingles vaccination as soon as I can .

My daughter had shingles at 20 and it was on her scalp! It was so painful. She did get anti-viral drugs in time to help her. Interestingly at my first shingrix (shingles) vaccination I had an anaphylactic reaction but it was 24 hours later. Doctor said there was no way the 2 could be related. But that was the start of my uticaria and I have had to be so careful since to not be put in a situation (e.g. bee sting plus a cold air-conditioned room) where my body thinks it is under attack. I am kind of dreading my next shingles vaccination in 2 years time. I really hope your rash improves, Harpy!

@Harpy , I know what it is like not to have anyone else available to do something that needs to get done. I did a lot of that gritting of teeth, and at times I still have to. You just do what you have to do. I am glad to hear that you do allow yourself to rest when it is possible, though. For me, one of the hardest things (still is) is that on the days I don't accomplish anything more than feeding the animals and myself I feel bad for not getting anything done. Those days are infrequent, but they still exist.

I have come to a place of acceptance with fibro and the ramifications of it, and feel that the majority of the time, which is tremendously helpful. But there are times when that slips and I have to remind myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back