Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/1999
Country
CA
State
AB
how many of us have heard from a doctor, " all you need is exercise". it is an automatic response now from doctors, and they do it without thinking. I have been told that by every doctor I have seen for FM. the doctors didn't know if I was getting enough calories or eating right. you exercise without getting enough calories and the body starts eating itself to fulfill the caloric requirements.

In defense of doctors, which is difficult in Canada with the way our healthcare system is organized sometimes, I will say that that it's still sound advice. The amount of research that shows exercise is one of the cheapest, fastest and easiest ways to get individual health back on track is staggering.

You nailed it though, proper diet and caloric intake is important also. Good clean healthy eating along with daily exercise is important. Even for progressive issues such as Alzheimer's for instance, exercise and diet are still top of the lists for ways to stop progression.

I ve heard it throughout the years and just recently to exercise. Many of us have different symptoms associated with fibromyalgia, such as extreme fatigue, migraines.. I used to walk every day at one point for an hour and once I was done my day was over, too exhausted even to go to work or make dinner. Many times I would have more pain and it triggered migraines so that went out the window for me. I tried water fitness and that back fired...
Not sur what else to do, busy with house, work and grandkids so not much time for exercise...

yes, getting your heart rate up is not as easy as it used to be. I opt for stretching and very light weight work outs. I have the stretch bands for exercise to. I have those placed in strategic places like sitting at the computer. I find it very difficult to do anything after working out. maybe shacking up with someone with FM balances things out. one goes for food while the other works out, but you both end up being too worn out to cook. I wonder how a place with all FM residents would be. three or four FM people living in the same place would it work out ? I still find doctors difficult to see, because they still have no clue, "nothing is wrong with you".

I ve heard it throughout the years and just recently to exercise. Many of us have different symptoms associated with fibromyalgia, such as extreme fatigue, migraines.. I used to walk every day at one point for an hour and once I was done my day was over, too exhausted even to go to work or make dinner. Many times I would have more pain and it triggered migraines so that went out the window for me. I tried water fitness and that back fired...
Not sur what else to do, busy with house, work and grandkids so not much time for exercise...
sounds like enough exercise to me. grandkids will keep you fit.

In defense of doctors, which is difficult in Canada with the way our healthcare system is organized sometimes, I will say that that it's still sound advice. The amount of research that shows exercise is one of the cheapest, fastest and easiest ways to get individual health back on track is staggering.

You nailed it though, proper diet and caloric intake is important also. Good clean healthy eating along with daily exercise is important. Even for progressive issues such as Alzheimer's for instance, exercise and diet are still top of the lists for ways to stop progression.
my younger years I ran 10 to 15 miles a day. that helped in some ways for my present situation. I was addicted to exercise.

Lol yup, it sure is.. But for now it's difficult with all this social distancing.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago... Today I'm on the upward end of a 2 week long "flare up". I had just started an exercise regimen and was really enjoying it! I also work for the city with the first responders kids so I'm really active there. A few weeks ago I started getting fatigued and then the pain hit full throttle. I know our doctors tell us exercise is key but I had a hard time moving from the bed to the couch much less exercising, then the intestinal symptoms hit for a few days as well as the anxiety and depression. I hate knowing that I can never achieve the activity level I used to be at. I absolutely love yard work and want to dig out new flower beds.....thats not happening and I really don't want to watch someone else do it. I'm sorry for whining.......I'm just so tired if hurting. Just taking my dog for a walk will kill my back. Thanks for listening...if yell have any tips please share.

The doctors say you should exercise because that is good advice across the board. The human animal was not designed to be idle, and these days they are even saying that a sedentary lifestyle can be as bad for you as smoking. You have to keep your body moving no matter what, and as a person gets older it's even more important.

The thing is, if you have FMS you have to be incredibly persistent, in finding out what you can do and how much and what works for you. this is very challenging and it can lead down paths to feelings of despair because it turns out you can't do a certain kind of exercise after all. I know, been there done that and probably not finished with going there and doing that. But it's very important not to give up.

There are dozens of different kinds of exercise you can do at home, or just in your yard or park or whatever. Walking is one of the best. Don't overdo it and have a set back, but don't give up on exercise.

I found the most important thing, after making sure I get enough sleep and good food, is to really listen to my body. If you literally ask your body what it can do today, it will tell you. I don't force it, but I make myself at the very least go for a walk every day. I have dogs, so that makes it necessary anyway....they are great motivators!
The other thing is, put on music and just move. You don't even have to dance, as such. Even lie down on the floor and move! Sit in a chair and move, just move to the music.

Just move in whatever way you can for that specific day, and that is your exercise. If you do this, and are very persistent with it, you will find your body will get stronger and be able to do more. It may happen so slowly and gradually that you won't think it is happening, but it is.

James 192, it is true that you can force your body into starvation mode if you exercise a lot and don't eat. But, exercising makes your body want to eat, so as long as you are not determined to starve you won't. Just eat good healthy food and exercise and listen to your body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back