Does anyone else startle easily? I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdaFitchFibro

This has become a point of contention, because I tend to snap at him, but I really don't mean to. I try to explain that it isn't my fault nor his. It just IS. Anyone else startle WAY to easily, even when you are not technically scared?! Please, SOMEONE, ANYONE, tell me that I am not the only one!!

Tags: Easily Startled, Exaggerated Startle Reflex, Overactive Startle Reflex, Startle Easily

I tend to snap at him, but I really don't mean to. I try to explain that it isn't my fault nor his. It just IS. Anyone else startle WAY to easily, even when you are not technically scared?!
Hi Ada, and welcome!
I often gasp when something goes wrong, even if I immediately realize I can correct it quickly and am also not technically worried (or scared). My wife then fears it's something really bad, and asks "what's the matter?" and I never know what to say, say something like "nothing" or "it's OK", and then she asks (/snaps): "Well why did you gasp like that then?" .... well, my body does it on it's own, involuntarily.
The other way round when she gasps I stay completely calm, wait or may just ask "Can I help?" - that's what I'd wish too, but I spose everyone reacts differently personally, but especially also in what condition we're in.
My wife often snaps at me, but I know I'm not meant, and that she'll often apologize, so no worry to me. I let it glance off my shining armour.

Hi AdaFitchFibro!

You are definitely not alone in this!!!
Not only do I startle easily…sometimes I involuntarily scream when I startle ugh!!

My previous boss when he needed to talk to me …would so so quietly say my name as he walked near to where I was was….so I wouldn’t jump out of my skin!

Hi Adafitchfibro and welcome!

I'm also guilty of this and so glad you asked the question so I know I'm not the only one!
I jump, gasp, startle very easily, and my poor husband hates it. I get the usual "What did you do that for???" ... which to be honest I don't have an answer for - I just am as I am!!! :LOL:

It's a horrible feeling when this happens, like a spasm going right through you. The tricky part is not swearing when someone startles you. I get a similar feeling when something catches me by surprise such as nearly dropping things

In the last 4-5 weeks I keep gasping and "hissing in"(w?) from the tension and injuries on my finger tips too, several times an hour, sometimes every few minutes.
Doesn't help when my wife asks why and I've already moved on... :rolleyes: Or when she nags I've done too much.

Hi AdaFitchFibro, welcome to the forum ☕🍰, yes I do startle easily but it's a product of my limbic system gone haywire from childhood and adult situations (that led to my fibro) just wondered do you get really really upset when you lose something? Cos I do (just curious) 💫🧚🏼‍♀️💫

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back