Does anyone get overwhelmed by a sleep attacl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiffsister

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
CA
Hey guys!
Don't know if this is relevant.
I am pretty well controlled with my Fibro but I live a pretty lame life and spend most of my energy pursuits on studying.
I do get out and do things just try to avoid the extreme cold.
I am currently pretty dehydrated, though trying to hydrate, like I'm never fully hydrated, though.
So every now and again I get what I call a sleep attack.
They used to happen after I would eat gluten, but I would black out for up to 3 hours.
This is like an hour long, almost always, sometimes 2, with dreams I can remember, but I don't get a choice.
I was working and was falling asleep and I had to just lay down and pass out
I woke up exactly an hour later feeling almost refreshed, like it never happened
I have NO idea what this is, but wondered if anyone else suffered this
It only happens after a period of chronic stress, or pushing myself too much, you know, almost like a mini flare?

oh yes! I get those too!
and usually around the same time of day - not always, but more often than not it is.

Happens more often after a rough night (not sleeping due to pain) - but can happen at any time, really.

Thank you for letting me know! They dont happen to me as much anymore not that I am taking really good are of myself, but they still happen, and yea, usually like 12ish to 2ish!

Could this be a sort of temporary(?) narcolepsy?

Could this be a sort of temporary(?) narcolepsy?
no, i dont think so... If i fight it hard enough, i can stay awake, but it can be very hard to do so... much easier to just give in for a little bit.

my understanding of narcolepsy is that the person has no control over it, and it is very unpredictable...
what we are talking about can be pretty predictable, LOL..

my understanding of narcolepsy is that the person has no control over it
Hmm, well my ex-sleep lab psychiatrist (who was great at thinking outside of the box) seemed to consider a wider definition or traits or influences....

Hmm, well my ex-sleep lab psychiatrist (who was great at thinking outside of the box) seemed to consider a wider definition or traits or influences....
i would think they would be better versed in the intricacies of the issue than I am... cause heaven knows, I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, or the internet, LOL

Yep, I get the Chronic Fatigue and wanting to Nap all the time. Chronic Pain and terrible Stiffness of wide spread Spinal Arthritis SAPS my strength. Funny thing though, even when I was younger (71 now), I would get "sleepy". I used to think that I had seasonal Allergies, but I debate that somewhat now. It is a very perplexing issue. Could it be Sleep Apena (never been tested for it)? I was never a good Sleeper. I could never digest how certain people could go to bed and sleep 8 , 10 or more hours. I never could. Another Theory of Mine is that when I finally addressed my years of Chronic Pains & stiffness by going to a Pain Management doctor, he took my first Cervical MRI. Yes, it detected degenerated Discs, mild stenosis, and disc bulges, BUT the radiology report indicated that I had a More Narrow Than Normal Spinal Canal !! According too The Mayo Clinic's web site about Spinal Stenosis revealed that only 5% of the people per their Database of thousands of cases, have this !! I have been doing years of Personal reseacrch on my conditions - seeking answers and/or Magic Pills. My Diagnoses of FM came about 3 or 4 years agao by The PM doctor confirmed by my PCP. But it's a difficult diagnosis to confirm. I can say, that Ican hurt All Over when it flairs up badly. The Fatigue can get so Bad that at times sitting at a desk trying to work , I could feel this "dread" of Tiredness hit me -to the point that I thought I may die if I fell asleep. Totally Exhausted. SUX BIG TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back