Does everyone also have muscles tearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jendaw86

What calms it down? Do I push threw the hurting or do I need to relax and give it time? Do I change my diet? I am so new to this but getting info from the doc is like pulling teeth. :( Please help.

Hello @Jendaw86 and welcome to the forum.

Do you have actual muscle tearing, or do your muscles feel painful but there's no actual medical evidence of tearing?

If you actually have torn muscles or tendons or ligaments you need medical attention for these things specifically, and please get it because this is not something you can take lightly. If you suspect you have actual torn muscles, please see a doctor.

If you are talking about pain in your muscles, that is different. Have you been diagnosed with fibromyalgia? If not, are you in the process of getting tested?

In order to help you, we need more information than your brief post gives.

However, in general it is unwise to push through pain rather than resting. It depends on the circumstances, though, because there are exceptions. If you are not eating a specifically healthy diet that you have tested and therefore know is good for you, then that needs to be looked at.

There's a place you can start, to get ideas on how to examine your diet and do many other things that can make your life better if you have fibromyalgia, and i recommend you read this post and start trying things out that may help you. Report back and ask any questions you may have.

I have to agree - if you have muscles that are actually tearing, then you NEED to see a doctor about it. That is not normal by any means.

If you mean they just "feel" like they are tearing, then yes, I can kind of relate to that..
as far as what to do - if you are experiencing that kind of pain, then i suggest you back off a bit, your body is trying to tell you to slow down/ease up.

Sounds like you could do with a few pointers from a physical therapist about how to stretch/work your muscles effectively, without causing harm.
You should never feel actual pain from stretching, but you should feel a little pulling/tension. and you should only stretch to that point.. understand that there is a difference between a good stretch and a painful one.. Never, ever go to the point of pain. Dont push that hard.

If you can only stretch just a little bit without pain starting out, than that is what you do.. and gradually, over many weeks try to stretch a little bit further each week until you can get the full stretch without pain - and dont beat yourself up if you never get that far.. sometimes you just cant.

Same holds true for how long to hold a stretch.. many resources say to hold a stretch for 20-30 seconds - if you cant go that long without pain, then do what you can.. be it 3, 5, or 10 seconds.. it is what it is, do what you can do "comfortably", and again, slowly build up that holding time each week - a little at a time, until you can do the 20-30 seconds at a time.

Also, dont "bounce" into a stretch.. it should be slow, smooth movements - slow stretch, hold, slow release.. like doing everything in slow motion. Trying to do things fast can cause injury very quickly. I dont know about you, but I dont do much of anything "fast" anymore, LOL

Podiatrist and MRI found the tear in my left foot. They have done nothing for it but say they are willing to do the tendon surgery if I want to see if it will help but my tendons look fine. Recently diagnosed and headed to rheumatoidology department this Monday.

@Jendaw86 , Then I say you need to follow doctor's advice on repairing the tear. I doubt that this has anything to do with fibromyalgia, because tearing in the muscle comes as a result of trauma of some kind -- an injury in other words. Fortunately, unlike tendons, muscles will repair themselves if they are rested enough and treated correctly. Make sure you are very careful to follow their instructions on how to care for it.

They didn't give me instructions and I had no accidents to cause the injury. I just kept going even when it hurt. The only thing the MRI showed besides the tear was edema in the muscles.

I just kept going even when it hurt.
and that is the wrong thing to do in a situation like this.. pain is your body's way of saying, "Hey.. stop doing that, or at least slow down."

they didn't give you any kind of direction on treating this? no heat, ice, keeping it elevated, bandaged? nothing at all?
that just seems kinda strange to me.

muscles tearing is not normal and generally speaking, does not just happen out of the blue.. there is usually some sort of trauma either at the time of, or within a few days prior to it actually tearing. (the muscle was weakened with the trauma prior, and tore later)
I think I would be looking for another opinion about this.

I second everything cookiebaker says. Get another opinion, and ask for care instructions. It is ridiculous that they sent you away without giving you care advice.
In the meantime, do not bully yourself through the pain. If it starts hurting, rest. The fact that you kept going when it hurt only made it worse, and possibly even created the tear in the first place. Listen to your body and treat that part of your body as if it were a precious little creature that is injured and you are taking care of it, because that is what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back