Not open for further replies.

nhsososo4

Diagnosis
06/1995
Country
RSA
State
Western Cape
Exercising is one of the most stress reliving factors know to man. In the past doctors used to think exercising might increase the severity of fibromyalgia.

Recent studies in a lot of research institutions have shown otherwise. It is believed that exercise is essential for keeping muscles strong and flexible. Controlling your weight could be another helping factor and just by keeping active in aspects of life.

My question is, have you seen any improvement in the disorder since starting with exercise?

Yes, kind of. I've noticed a big improvement since I lost almost 75 pounds some years ago, I was starting to get hip pain before doing that and now I can finally walk without my feet actually killing me with every step I take. Don't expect wonders tho, exercise and losing weight can't cure this, but it's my belief it can help you greatly. At least you'll not be experiencing extra aches, my extra weight was making of walking a really painful activity... I couldn't walk too much, if I did my feet would kill me after 10 minutes walking!

I can't honestly say I can tell a difference in myself physically, other than it helps keep the weight off, but it does help me mentally. Even when I don't feel like doing anything at all, I make myself get up and go for a 1-2 mile walk. I certainly feel better afterwards. I was told by my Dr. to keep walking because the blood needs to keep circulating. stretching afterwards is also important.

It definitely does help and a healthy body equals to a healthy mind. Exercise is very important in ones life whether suffering from Fibromyalgia or not. It is what is needed by the body for it to be at its peak.

Exercising has a way of solving even problems that you were not aware of as a person and it is important to keep an upbeat body. Your heart which is the most important function of your body benefits the most. You know the say a healthy heart equals a healthy life and a happy soul can never be defeated by anything. Besides your heart, blood circulation which is important for the functioning of your brain and connection between your veins is just of importance.

Therefor i would say, please do keep on exercising not just for the fibromyalgia but for your own well being in keeping other functions of your body in check and healthy.

It does help but only to a certain extent. If you go all out and exert yourself to the max you'll end up being sore and putting extra stress on your joints and muscles. That is not good for pain management. It worsens it. So do a casual to moderate workout. Jog, don't run. I advise power walking. Do crunches, not sit up. Etc.

Rolling Loud, i like your advise, straight to the point and very informative as you are saying its not about training as if you want to go to the Olympics no but doing enough for your body to be in a good state. Little Bev, those small walks that you do take as you are saying are doing you a world of good keep it up and you know the saying a healthy mind equals a positive attitude. A positive attitude can heal anything. Trellum 75 pounds that is amazing and thank God you took it upon your self to help yourself with a situation that could have turned very ugly. Because yes many statistics have shown that being obese or being overweight really does put a big burden on the disorder. I also increases the intensity of most of the symptoms that you are already experiencing. That can lead to another bigger problem.

Therefore, what i can draw out from what has been said is that exercise is good but not too much of it. It can assist you mentally and physically . Also keeping your weight in check, will do you more good than harm.

It does help but only to a certain extent. If you go all out and exert yourself to the max you'll end up being sore and putting extra stress on your joints and muscles. That is not good for pain management. It worsens it. So do a casual to moderate workout. Jog, don't run. I advise power walking. Do crunches, not sit up. Etc.

I would agree with most of this.. Before i was "officially" diagnosed with Fibro, i used to run a lot. It's part of what keeps me "healthy", keeps the weight off, brings me into focus, etc. I used to run half marathons, but now I keep my mileage down to 2-3 miles per run. This way my muscles and joints don't hurt. When I run longer distances, my muscles start twitching and spasming, my back hurts, etc. I would also recommend going to the gym where the equipment has shock absorbers, etc, to help your body while you keep it in motion. You have to find the balance that works for you. Since i work from home, I can go out for a quick 2-3 miler during my lunch break, come home and back to work. :p

Yes! Keep in mind to do only what you are able to do and build up over time. People with Fibromyalgia must be careful of muscle injuries as it can cause us more pain and healing time than those without Fibromyalgia. Walking is a great way to start and maybe build up to aerobic level. Also light weight lifting can help build up muscle strength. Always remember too that if your body doesn't feel like a workout you probably shouldn't do anything more than a leisurely walk. When my body doesn't feel like working out because of my legs hurting or something, I take that walk for a bit. I find that getting my legs moving for a while, at a leisurely pace, helps with stiffness. Stiffness only adds to pain, so getting rid of stiffness is a huge deal to me.

Thank you guys for the responses, at least its always refreshing to hear facts from people who are actually going through as situation themselves. My analysis is always bases on how my aunt is and also from reading posts on the internet. Therefore this information that you are giving us will put us in a better position to know all bodies react differently.

So what you all are saying is that, listen to your body and do not force things. As forcing might cause more harm than good. After all we all know how to trade with our bodies and its true when you guys say on day when you do not feel like exercising you should not because you might end up regretting it.

Lets keep on advising each other guys and i encourage more people living with fibromyalgia to enlighten us more and engage in the topic.

I think it helps somewhat. In terms of that the more active you are, the better you'll keep your mobility. Sometimes strenuous exercise can be a bit too much. As others have stated, listen to your body and if it feels like too much, then stop. Overdoing it can be just as bad as not doing at all.

I've found that walking is probably one of the best ways to exercise. It's not as strenuous. Swimming is probably the best exercise I've done for fibro. It's basically like not working out at all, but it's pretty high impact. You just can't feel it. I would suggest swimming or water sports/exercise for anyone with chronic pain.

Exercise definitely helps to recovery from fibromyalgia. Exercise for an hour helps a person to stay physically and mentally fit. Body-wide pain and tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues which are physical issue can be easily overcome by doing running.

Fatigue, sleep problems, headaches, depression, and anxiety which are mental issue can be overcome by regular exercise and a proper diet. In short exercise for an hour help a person to stay health, fit and put that person away from diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back