Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
Hi guys! I know this question might sound so silly for most of you, but I know some of you can handle this better than others. I also know some of you suffer from depression thanks to fibro and its complications.

I'd like to know how well you handle it. I'd like to say I handle my feelings well most of the time, but that's not the case. I don't suffer from depression tho (I did for a while, but I found my way back), it took me a while to recover, there are some days I feel down, but every time I do I try to be positive! It's always depressing when new symptoms appear tho.

So how do you guys feel? Down from time to time? Depressed most of the time? How do you cope! Do you take any medication to treat the depression?

I was jus tput on Zoloft for depression. I only started it one day ago so I can't say if it works, but I sure hope it does!

Hi there! I hope it works out for you! Living with fibro and depression is one of the worst combos out there. I never tried Zofloft, but I have heard good things about it. I hope it doesn't come with a lot side effects. Good luck!

Suffering with fibro its difficult not to become depressed at some point. I've been on Zoloft for years and currently on a trial with Fetzima (my doctor doesn't believe it will work but he is running out of options) . I can't say it makes any difference like Cymbalta, Lyrica (weight gain) and countless others I've taken. Going to a therapist may work for some but after a while you find yourself repeating the same problems and solutions don't last very long. It's like going in circles. I've come to accept that it can alienate you from family and friends but hanging on to faith and the little things in life helps. This forum makes me feel better....I am not alone. Then comes acceptance....

I'm glad to hear you know how to deal with this, I think we are lucky, because we can handle our depression and even turn it into a manageable side effect of fibro. But I know of others who have even taken their own lives as a result of suffering from the fibro induced depression. Now I TRULY appreciate the good days, I do get a bit down during the bad days, but not dealing with a full blown depression.

I actually was feeling a bit suicidal not too long ago. Thanks to God I am still here. Fibro can not win. Finding a passion for something helps...still looking for mine but we have to keep fighting.

Ah the fibro and depression thing.

Ask someone if they think being in pain 24/7 with constant exhaustion might make them feel depressed and they will agree of course it would.

Yet time after time medical professionals will make out that if you exhibit the signs of depression that must mean that the fibro symptoms are really depression symptoms and can be cured with a nice course of strong anti depressants, followed by the suggestion that if you remain in pain and exhaustion its because you are giving in to the depression. I even once had a medical professional tell me that fibro did not exist and I was the most depressed person they had ever seen and that said professional would be recommending my GP (primary physician I guess) put me on lithium immediately. As I have experience with mental illness this put me in a panic until my GP reassured me he thought the other professional was talking out their ass and would not be prescribing me lithium.

The most important thing to remember with depression (with or without fibro) is that while the medication can be essential for control of symptoms it is not a long term cure - you need talking therapies whether they be CBT type or traditional psychotherapy type. You may have to fight to get access to the proper talking therapies - put simply they cost more than the drugs - but please make that fight because that is the thing that can work. Over the long term the drugs just dope you (remember the drugs are often essential short term - I am not recommending rejecting them full stop).

Yeah, I think a vast majority of folks with fibro suffer from depression or at least feel down from time to time, but some people feel plain suicidal on a daily basis. I know because I was like that one year ago or so, isn't easy to accept a tough diagnosis. I took antidepressants for a bit, but as you said, no they just hide the symptoms, the ideal is to get therapy and learn how to cope. I totally agree with you, those drugs are in no way the solution and sometimes they make things worse! Most of them make you gain weight, which often results in even more pain.

I actually was feeling a bit suicidal not too long ago. Thanks to God I am still here. Fibro can not win. Finding a passion for something helps...still looking for mine but we have to keep fighting.

Well said, Lacey! Happy to hear you could fight it, I've been there and now how dark and grim everything can seem... I'm glad you made it, not easy at all. It really isn't. Congrats for keep on fighting, girl, keep that up, find your passion and pursue it! Wishing you the best of luck!

Thanks so much Trelllum! I'm tearing up now because the fight is real and it is daily. When I wrote that statement I was feeling strong. Today....eh, not so much but your words inspire me. Thank you again.

Yes, I believe fibro does lead to depression. Being in constant pain and being tired physically will reflect on the mental and emotional mind. It's hard. Life is a battle of will power but having obstacles all along the way will drag a person down. Just have to learn to find joy is the smaller things in life, looking at the big picture will lead to no good. I am depressed, taking small steps is the only way I can find myself out of the dark.

I definitely feel frustrated. I think that I feel frustrated at my lack of physical ability on my bad days.
I feel frustrated then that I am depressed or down or moody. Then I feel like I'm not doing enough for my kids those days,
so it is peppered with guilt. I also feel I am not being fair to my partner by being sick, so I try to stay positive for him even if I am feeling down. It is frustrating to have to hide it, however.

It helps a lot to actually admit all those things to yourself, if you can't afford therapy then you should really consider finding an outlet to all those feelings, for me blogging about my feelings is the perfect outlet. Yes, it has even helped me with repressed anger issues, depression, anxiety and fear. Yeah, talking, in this case writing, to yourself about the things that bother you helps release a lot pressure and stress. My mom was right when she said that when you bottle up feelings you are slowly killing yourself!

Yes, I believe fibro does lead to depression. Being in constant pain and being tired physically will reflect on the mental and emotional mind. It's hard. Life is a battle of will power but having obstacles all along the way will drag a person down. Just have to learn to find joy is the smaller things in life, looking at the big picture will lead to no good. I am depressed, taking small steps is the only way I can find myself out of the dark.

Mowmow, I couldn't have said it better... life is supposed to come with obstacles, but man, we got handled way too many, hehehe. No complains tho, some days it's dark and scary, others not at all. I must say I truly love what you said about the smaller things in life, lately I take great pleasure in that! Small things in life! Something as simple as eating a dessert or go to the movies with a friend! Those things make my life so sweet, thinking of them make the most bitter moments less grim.

Keep up the great work! Best of luck and kudos to you for being so wise!

Thanks so much Trelllum! I'm tearing up now because the fight is real and it is daily. When I wrote that statement I was feeling strong. Today....eh, not so much but your words inspire me. Thank you again.

Don't worry, it is very normal to feel down some days, it's totally expected and you should NEVER feel guilty about it or feel like you are taking a step backwards. YOU ARE NOT! Remember that, you are just having a normal reaction given the circumstances, if someone dares to try to make you feel bad about it, then rest assured they have no idea what they're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back