Not open for further replies.

kaijufae

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2020
Country
UK
Hi, I've had fibro for about 6 or 7 months, but had issues with pain and fatigue for years. Since Feb it's gotten so much worse, and I managed to get a diagnosis late last month. Due to everything going on, I haven't been able to book another appointment to discuss medication and support just yet.

(typing this on a bad day, sorry if it doesn't make sense completely haha)

I feel like whenevr I have a flare up, and the pain and fatigue overwhlm me, I just can't do anything but sit in bed.
I feel like such a waste of space, and I just want that sense of normalcy back. I'm not expecting every day to be a good day, but half my days are really bad ones at the moment.

I know everyones experience will be different, but in anyones experience, does it get easier? Does the pain, fatigue and fog get easier to figt through, or am I doomed to naps and bedrest most days? :)

I know there are things that do and don't help, I am learning them and it is helping but, my bad days are still so overwhelming.

Hi! I just joined this forum and saw your post and saw that you hadn't had any responses yet so though I would give you a bit of my own personal experience with Fibro. I was diagnosed in Feb of 2019 and to be honest it's been a struggle since, but things are much better than they used to be. I know it feels discouraging and maybe even hopeless right now, but I've learned that with my own Fibro, it takes time to figure out what works best for you when it comes to treatment. I was diagnosed and put on medication right away (i'm not on Cymbalta, but had also taken Gabepentin). Over time and practice and lots of learning I can now figure out when i'm flaring and know what things will help a flare up/also know what not to do/what to do when a flare up comes on. Sometimes resting is the best thing. I know it may feel like you're not accomplishing anything, but in my own experience, if I push too hard, it takes longer for the flare up to go away. When I was first diagnosed I had a flare up that literally lasted for months. Through medication management and learning self help tips I managed to get through it. Now I have flare ups but it's not constant and I usually can pinpoint when they come on and can work through them. I still get frustrated but have learned that having patience (which is super difficult) helps too. Hang in there!! I hope this was at least a little helpful :)

Kristin.

Hi there. I like Kristin's response to you a lot, and she says many things I would have said.

I will add my words to hers. Everyone who develops a chronic pain condition, or has a bad accident that changes their body, or has an amputation or whatever feels worthless and just taking up space at first because you can't do all of the things you used to do to bring yourself a sense of purpose and value. But in order to survive this and live a life anyway what is needed is to find other ways to do things that you love to do, and other things to do that you can do. Sometimes this takes a while, and it never happens overnight or without effort.

This sucks, but it's true. The other thing I want to say is that only you can navigate this and find what works for you. Be your own experimenter and your own advocate and most importantly of all listen to your body. None of us are taught to do this and it's very important.

I wrote some advice that I think has some value and posted it in a separate thread of its own so I wouldn't have to keep typing it out for new people. I suggest you read it and try some things that may help. And come here for questions and to get support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back