Don’t make the same mistake I made

JayCS

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
GE
Lots can help vertigo. Problem is finding out what is causing it.
For the BPPV-type (caused by calcium crystals) femfatigued has mentioned is the Epley manouvre, vitamin D, Mg.
Generally ginkgo has in studies been found to help 'most' (which I'd been recommended by my ENT for sudden hearing loss and it worked in a week; increases blood flow; also 'getting awake'; 240mg/d).
For vertigo I usually take homeopathic nux vomica, as I get it together with nausea. (One of the few homeopathic remedies which work pretty much immediately for me.) However homeopathy differentiates 10+ different types of vertigo / remedies.
For vertigo there are other specific exercises (Semont-Toupet, Brandt-Daroff);
less stress, more sleep, yoga etc.;
diet: less cholesterol, sugar, salt, alcohol, caffeine, smoking,
more magnesium, vitamin D, water, coriander, almonds, lemon, strawberry, ginger, basil, wild indigo,
mouth wash, ice water in mouth or face.
And don't forget to check & if need be try replacing any meds for vertigo as a (common) side effect.

Last edited:

Fibromale

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2021
Country
US
State
TX
JayCS - Thanks for your detailed information for dizziness and vertigo. I also have these issues and noticed the higher my stress/anxiety level, the more likely I will experience them.
So now once I start to feel dizzy, I take a nap immediately (not always possible) or go to bed early if in the evening and this has prevented a full vertigo episode every time. I will use your suggestions as that may help prevent the dizziness in the first place.

JayCS

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
GE
Now you talk of napping, Fibromale, I had dizziness combined with the numbness, Jan20, at the begin of this full flare, esp. playing table tennis. After a few weeks I realized closing my eyes whilst moving my head / eyes more (like bending down) was a crucial and lasting help - not really illogical...
Dizziness & nausea are things I have to watch out for with the levodopa I've started using for "RLS"/sleep - day 2 an inkling of it is there, let's see. And now you've mentioned it, I'll be wary of it increasing from the stress working next week. Got my nux vomica out for starters... (It's in my pocket - some sensitive people I know astonishingly believe that can already help them; well who knows exactly how potent nocebo & placebo effects are ;-D). I prefer not to use ginkgo now, as I had the feeling even taking it in morning the other day when I had to get up early kept me from getting to sleep that evening. And most of the rest I am either doing or can't (e.g. eat)... But splashes of cold water and drinking are easy... yep, help.

Last edited:

Fibromale

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2021
Country
US
State
TX
Yes, I’m a big fan of napping. I read an interesting article that said many people with Fibro nap as a coping mechanism and I am one of them. I can only nap on the weekends because I work 40 hours a week.

Napping helps me in two ways. It prevents dizziness from turning into vertigo and recharges me after a long week of work. I will also take an afternoon nap if I know I will be doing something that evening like attending a social event.

cjshipi

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
PA
Thank you for your input. I totally agree that one has to find what works for them.

Creola17

Distinguished member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Nv
Just found an interesting book that might help alot of us. It's called Food as Medicine. It explains how to change your diet to only foods that help you. Because we're all different they explain that following one particular diet like paleo won't work for everyone and how to find the right foods for you. I read a sample and looks good.

JayCS

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
GE
Hmm, I wonder which path they suggest aside from recommendations like sunkacola's. My primary one was an elimination diet, also using a brilliant olden time German cook book for sensitive guts from 1950s, also the Hay diet. Then when one therapist and then the forums suggested gluten etc. I tried each, but had to go for Mediterranean anyway. But finding out that my a... doesn't tolerate tomatoes (any more?) was piecework as ever, with a food diary.
But seeing as the title has now been named twice I wanted to read reviews and found there's quite a few things using this title, a website, including/promoting a cooking book, by Sue Radd (which sounds OK, but doesn't address diseases). Then Guru Dharma Singh Khalsa (which seems good, but "out of date" (20 years old made to look new); it seems to centre on natural organic juices, which I can forget from the start; also written Meditation as Medicine). Then Mohamed Essa (Oman & Sydney, extremely ) (& Mushtaq A. Memon, very expensive researcher stuff, they've also written about diet and autism, a connection which I doubt from family experience). Dr. Greger's Evidence-Based Nutrition DVD Series (doesn't look good, try his website nutritionfacts first, or his 19' TEDx talk on youtube, 3 other vids there with the title), and a 1h26 documentary by Lenore Eklund. Nothing that makes me jump out of my seat.... :cool: