DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
Hi Everyone,

I was just curious how many of you have been able to carry on driving or any stories of anyone who like me had to give up because the repetitive movements on my feet and knees and arms and twisting my neck at junctions etc was too much. Pulling up the handbrake was so painful and i felt i wasnt really safe as i was half thinking about the strain on my body...and measuring pain building so in the end i wasnt going far and was limping sometimes after using the pedals.

It something i miss so much . Can most of you still drive or have to limit how far?

This is also a question I was wondering about those who can drive.

I personally was never able to drive. I lack a sense of space & coordination, I panic, I worry too much, I get agitated when others do not obey the rules etc. Plus with lifelong neck problems, fatigue, and problem moving my eyes (thus looking back and forth into mirrors is impossible for me), I gave up after my 4th driving lesson age 23.

I wish I could drive...have the confidence and ability, it would make my life so much easier. (not that I can actually afford a car!) Now my dream is to one day move to my 'other' country (I'm a dual citizen, each parent from a completely different country) where people like me can qualify for a small max 45 km. electric mini car. You don't need a driver's license for it and can drive it on the bike lane. It would give me so much independence and freedom. And confidence to get out of the house. I often feel like a prisoner at home.

I can still drive sometimes! Sometimes I feel I'm okay to drive, then turns out I'm not! I can not seem to hold my arms up long enough to drive, I get stiff and sore sitting in the same position! And I often zone out while driving, and can't remember how I got to where I stopped! I will sometimes forget the simplest routes! Example: picking up my nephew from school, 3miles from home, drove that route everyday, but forgot how to get home, just driving in circles, until something finally clicks, and I manage to get home!
It really sucks, I love my car, and want to drive! Hate having to depend on everyone else for everything!

Hi Diamond,
Driving for me has been a learning curve on finding the little tricks that save me from pain.
I use cruise control a lot since I drive distances. Once I switched from standard to automatic I was concerned with snow driving, but couldn't believe how much better my back and legs felt.
I have recently started the twitching stuff , or
Muscle cramps in my feet, caught off guard and slowly had to pull car over. I really think it's more the medication for me and side effects.
The good news now is my commute is half of what it was before so hopefully I can handle it. Best of all no snowstorms! Yay!
But it's surely challenging, even though I drive very slow.
I use to really look forward to setting that cruise control though because of throbbing leg and back pain, it helps.

I can drive also, but with limitations, the longer I sit in the car the worse the pain gets or the worse my body hurts when I get out. For me the biggest limitation is turning my neck to check traffic and alot of times I have a pulled muscle in my neck and then I can't hardly turn my neck at all. I try to limit my drive time to under 30 minutes. Not to mention the bumps in the road just jar my body into more pain. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that if it gets too hard to safely drive then don't risk it, sometimes I just have to say "not today, Ill try again tomorrow."

I drive. Longer rides are hard. I prop my arm up on pillows and it helps. Driving at night is hard for me, twilight is the worst. Often shoulder checking is hard. Mostly i suck it up because i have to get to work and often i have to drive while im at work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back