Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2019
Country
UK
State
UK
Does anybody have days when they can't walk in a straight line - as if tipsy? This usually occurs when I'm having a bad case of fibromyalgia fog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I did yesterday I always walk to the right and I can’t stop myself

Yes! I usually walk like I've been drinking. Feel off balance. I never related it to fibro.

Every day almost, every time I stand up I almost fall over. Sometimes I have to use the walls to help me stay upright.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is common with a lot of us that suffer from fibromyalgia. It's actually a diagnosable symptom of fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia is associated with balance problems and increased fall frequency. Patients were aware of their balance problems. These results suggest that FM may affect peripheral and/or central mechanisms of postural control.

Source: Fibromyalgia is Associated with Impaired Balance and Falls

I wonder if doing balance exercises would help with this. I take a dance class once a week, and I always practice balancing on one leg while I lift the other leg at some point during the class. My balance has improved as a result of doing this even just one day a week. The difference isn't dramatic, but every bit helps.

If you want to try this, start standing next to a wall and have one hand on the wall while you lift one leg as high as is comfortable for you to lift it. Just practice using the wall less and less as a support. But don't go away from the wall! in case you need it. :)

I started out this way and now can lift one leg up fairly high and stand there like that for a count of 5 or 6 seconds without having my hand on the wall. but it took a while to build up to that. Not hard to do, just takes a few minutes.

New here. I have this often, as well. Never thought about it possibly being fibro.

Yes! I have happen that happen frequently!! Seems like Fibro has ALOT of very odd symptoms!!

Sometimes it makes me quite self conscious. I'm sure people think I've been on the booze. The irony is I can't take alcohol with my fibro as it causes so much pain in my neck!

Does anybody have days when they can't walk in a straight line - as if tipsy? This usually occurs when I'm having a bad case of fibromyalgia fog.
I agree. Seems to be on bad Fibro fog days.

Absolutely. Typically during a huge flare. I also experience severe cognitive issues along with the tipsy and fog.. e.g. on several occasions I've had to ask my s/o to repeat himself during conversation because I couldn't comprehend a word he just said.

I have a tendency to "list" to the left a little sometimes. FYI, gabapentin gave me persistent balance and falling problems that went away when I stopped using it.

Wow! It never even crossed my mind that this could be related to fibro! I've actually thought to myself many, many times that anyone watching me will think I'm drunk. I've even been concerned about getting into trouble at work over it. It's a real problem! Thank you so much for mentioning this - it's great to have an idea why this keeps happening.

I feel top heavy too, and have to be careful when I am picking things up off the floor or taking out the garbage. I hold on to walls first thing in the morning or when I need to get up at night. I had adverse reactions to the gabapentin drug and can not take it. I told the pharmacist immediately, computers are great and that won't ever happen to me again. I think that yoga and dance is a good idea but I would never do this on one leg at least not for now. We are all different. The most important thing is that we get out and try. There is a lot of good in doing that.

I have this all the time but didn't connect it to my fibro until this morning. I'm having one of my worst flare ups in years and I fell down the stairs fracturing my elbow. I have seen some people asking if balancing exercises help. I have been doing yoga for years and use to be a dancer. The balance practice helps and yoga is amazing for fibro in sooooo many ways, but when the fog is bad, nothing will really make it better other than being as careful as possible when walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back