DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
NY
Hello
I was at my rheumatologist two days ago, i told him how elatrolet made me feel..the bad feeling, wanting 2 cry all the time...depressive flares...he said that 5 percent of ppl who take elatrolet feel worse and that i should stop it. My psychatrist on the other hand said that it's not true, elatrolet makes u feel like that at first and this is how it works ...ans i should continue so i can feel better
I do notttt know what 2 do
So confused

Elatrolet is Amitriptyline.

For what were you prescribed this medication?

What I know about amitriptyline is that either of those things can be true. Meaning that if it is being taken for depression it can make the person feel worse at first, before letting them feel better.
I also know that it can cause very unpleasant side effects in some people, and in those people it is not appropriate to take it.
Neither one of those things is true for everyone who takes it.

Only you can decide. But if it has only been two days I would encourage you to take it for a bit longer, maybe a week or 10 days, to see if it ends up working for you, IF you are taking it for depression. The first time I took it, it definitely made me feel horrible at first, but once that initial period was over it really helped ease my depression at that time.

I took it for 3 weeks , after those 3 weeks ended i started feeling awful. I took it for depression

Hi Fibrofighter,

I agree with everything Sunkacola said - but know that this largely leaves things in your hands, which can be intimidating. Speaking from my own experiences, as someone whose taken a good proportion of the antidepressants out there at some point or another (I'm not kidding :rolleyes: !), the only thing we can do in these scenarios is try to listen to our instincts. Sometimes, we can push through what may only be a temporary side effect; at others, our gut tells us that what we're feeling is dangerous, and then we can choose to stop.

You said that you felt awful after stopping with the medication. On this, I'd reassure you that - by my experiences at least - starting and stopping medications can set us into a little bit of a pendulum swing that can take a moment to settle down again. If this happens, we can ride it out knowing that we'll track back to the current baseline, but, we then have to decide if we want to try a different medication, or look for another treatment.

Whenever I've hit a dead end with medications, my salvation has always been exercise. Getting 100% commited to a small but religiously daily routine is pretty powerful for carrying us through, although it can be a tough road for a while. That said, at times medication can be the best option - it really depends, person to person. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you feel better soon! There's a lot of us here who know depression well, so come here anytime if you want to talk more about it.

I didn't feel awful after stopping it..i felt awful that's why i stopped it..i started at 14.10 on the 7th if Nov..sth hit me..i felt really bad...a feeling of crying and sadness...it went on for a week then felt better..yesterday it came back...it us such a weird feeling that i have never experienced...that's wht i had a feeling that it has 2 do with elatrolet.

Hi Fibrofighter,

I agree with everything Sunkacola said - but know that this largely leaves things in your hands, which can be intimidating. Speaking from my own experiences, as someone whose taken a good proportion of the antidepressants out there at some point or another (I'm not kidding :rolleyes: !), the only thing we can do in these scenarios is try to listen to our instincts. Sometimes, we can push through what may only be a temporary side effect; at others, our gut tells us that what we're feeling is dangerous, and then we can choose to stop.

You said that you felt awful after stopping with the medication. On this, I'd reassure you that - by my experiences at least - starting and stopping medications can set us into a little bit of a pendulum swing that can take a moment to settle down again. If this happens, we can ride it out knowing that we'll track back to the current baseline, but, we then have to decide if we want to try a different medication, or look for another treatment.

Whenever I've hit a dead end with medications, my salvation has always been exercise. Getting 100% commited to a small but religiously daily routine is pretty powerful for carrying us through, although it can be a tough road for a while. That said, at times medication can be the best option - it really depends, person to person. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you feel better soon! There's a lot of us here who know depression well, so come here anytime if you want to talk more about it.
I find your answers very helpful

I didn't feel awful after stopping it..i felt awful that's why i stopped it..i started at 14.10 on the 7th if Nov..sth hit me..i felt really bad...a feeling of crying and sadness...it went on for a week then felt better..yesterday it came back...it us such a weird feeling that i have never experienced...that's wht i had a feeling that it has 2 do with elatrolet.
Ah, I misunderstood! If it feels totally alien, then it seems reasonable to look to the medication - I think I'd do the same.

I find your answers very helpful
That's great to hear - definitely the goal 🌸

Like Jemima, I have at one time or another taken most of the medications that exist for depression, as I have had that problem since I was only a kid. Some helped, and then stopped working after a time. Others made me feel worse; one of them just about took me to a psychotic break. They are powerful medications, and they all affect people differently. I am currently taking one that doesn't actually make the depression less (or, at least I don't think it does) but it does help me to handle stress better, which is enormously helpful to me in other ways.

The medication merry-go-round was terrible and I went through it for many years. I never want to do that again. But I don't regret doing it because I and my doctors were trying whatever was available to help my situation. the fact that most of them didn't work well doesn't mean I don't think it was worth trying. but of course, I am speaking in hindsight! When I was in the middle of it I didn't think that way most of the time, and I got very discouraged.

I agree with Jemima that getting some exercise is a good way to handle this, and for me it was also hugely important to go outside. Preferably into nature, but just outside was enough if I couldn't get into nature for some reason.

People will say a lot of things to you about chronic depression. A few things are helpful, if they come from another person who knows what it is like, but most of the things people who have never had chronic depression say are not helpful. You just have to take the good and ignore the bad which is not easy but it is possible.

Nothing is easy when you are seriously depressed. Just getting through the day takes all your energy. Most people don't know how courageous and strong people with depression are, because it is so much harder for us to do the things that come easy for people who have normal emotional states, and we do them anyway because we have to. Hang in there, and know that you are not alone and we are here for you every day.

Oh my God ypur answer..it is true..we are string..i have 2 boys who need their mother. I get up, clean, cook and act like nothing is wrong. My husband us very supportive but at times i feel sorry 4 him becaise i am too much to handle when i am depressed. The feeling of crying is actually new 2 me that is why i thought about elatrolet...i knew it is the meds

Yes...i know 4 sure that the meds caused it ...it us new and hapoened after taking the meds

A first aspect is what meds/supps we're taking, the 2nd almost as important is the dose.
Some of my pain docs told me to test myself using 2mg drops of amitriptyline, which was OK, but not brilliant, sfx (side effects) increasing.
My main one then told me to take first the 10mg tablet for 2 weeks then the 25mg. I'd been up to there already, but felt going down better.
After about 2 more months, 4 altogether, my neuro suggested my increased focal seizures were caused by it, and that was the 8th side effect.
Maybe dosing it as I thought fit might've been good, but actually it was only numbing me to sleep, not really improving it.
My take is if you are/were getting more depressed after 3 weeks instead of less, it's the wrong med.
2nd suggestion, often overlooked, is trying nortriptyline instead, which is similar.
Or duloxetine, which is a bit different, but even more for depression than these too.

I took 10 mg once a day...just imagine what iy did 2 me..thank God i did not take 3 pills a day..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back