Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MI
Has anybody notice that any emotional upheaval may lead to a flare-up of symptoms?

I just lost an evening part-time job. I should have seen the handwriting on the wall because there was less and less work over these past two months. However, suffering the emotional stress is the same even if you expected the disappointment.

My joints have swollen, and my muscles feel cramped all over. Has anybody else noticed the correlation between stress and a flare-up?

Yes, whenever we have extreme emotional distress, our bodies functions seem to lower our immunity and we either catch a viral infection or other low grade infections, or our muscles get tense and tight or as you say swollen. However, is it your joints or the muscles around your joints? I ask this because fibro does not affect the bones and joints, only the muscle tissue surrounding them. If your joints are swollen it might suggest another type of arthritis or health problem.

However, your question was about flare ups of symptoms. Right now I am worried about my mom and so my muscles are tight and I am having trouble sleeping and or getting to sleep. My muscles are also tired and heavy. I have to go non-stop some days and i am wore out. I am getting leg cramps at night and feeling a bit grumpy in the mornings.

I have rambled a bit but hope I answered your question. I will let other members pitch in and add their thoughts to your question. Hope you feel better soon. :)

Yes, when I feel stressed I same to feel more pain and also feel super sleepy and tired. Just today I was having a little argument and started to feel like I REALLY wanted to go to bed, but I couldn't do it because I still have a lot things I needed to get done before even thinking of going to bed. Stress just makes everything worse... can even cause your neck muscles to get really tense and get tension headaches.

Yes, if I have too much stress, I am in bed for 2 days. The middle of my back gets so knotted, I can't move.

yes. From all I have read, lack of restorative sleep and stress are the major factors of pain.

You know what's really worrisome guys? Lack of sleep and stress also lower our body defenses, no wonder a lot people with fibro complains of swollen lymph nodes. Quite scary if you think about it. They say that fibro and depression are also linked.

That's interesting. I have swollen lymph nodes, too. The pinch and hurt like heck sometimes. Sometimes, they are just sore. I think I read fibro and depression are linked due to getting depressed about the pain and lifestyle change we have to go through.

My symptoms are definitely worse when I'm overly stressed... A few weeks ago my hours were cut at work, I had a massive panic attack because of the effect on my finances, and threw myself into a flare. Now I'm having another from the stress of filling most of my spare time with interviews and lack of rest. Got a little off track there but yeah...symptoms definitely worsen during periods of high stress.

I have. My son has ADHD/ODD and is Autistic. Dealing with him all day as a single mother with my own health problems is highly stressful and emotional for the both of us. But I would not have it any other way. He is my life and we learn and grow from each other everyday.

I know if I get too stressed I seem to get overly fatigued...like depression fatigued. I've only recently been diagnosed, but suspect I've been dealing with fibro for at least a couple of years if not more. It's just taken awhile to cross every other possibility off the list!

Yes.....stress (more emotional than work stress) just lays me flat out...my fibro flares up and I hurt all over which brings on the fatigue....lately due to continued family stress..my immune system has taken a hit and I get more sinus and throat infections..I am battling back with proper nutrition, vitamins and supplements....reading more about positive thinking and meditation...gentle stretching, hot showers, massage, etc. The morning stiffness is awful.

I agree stress definitely makes things worse. I've been playing the piano for a musical, and for the last week we've been having rehearsals every night. This on top of my other jobs has kept me spread pretty thinly. I am so run down and feel hideous. I swear I could go to sleep right now and sleep for the next 20 hours, but I need to drag myself to the theater in two hours. Ugh.

I don't know how y'all manage to make plans for the future and then follow through with them. Sometimes I'm okay, and sometimes, like today, I'm so tired I can barely get out the door.

Recently I had bronchitis. Then as a result of the stress I had a flare up of joints. My doctor prescribed steroids, and all the swelling and pain stopped.
You must ask your doctor for relief.

Emotional stress does tend to make our pain flare up. Especially if we are having a large amount of stress in our lives at a particular moment. That is why counseling is so important and, other forms of dealing with stress to avoid something like that from happening. Deep breathing and journaling can be great little tricks to combat stressful situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back