Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
wa.
I had a friend that had a disease where she would have sudden spells where she would fall asleep, the drs had her on medications for that, surely theres a med out there to give us energy.

Narcolepsy? I'm guessing it's narcolepsy, it's weird... I had some episodes of that when I was younger, many years later I was diagnosed with some sort of sleep disorder... they noticed something weird about the waves of my brain... Oddly enough I've heard a lot folks with fibro suffer from some sort of sleeping issue D: That makes you think... what if...?? I've yet to go to get tested at a sleep clinic though, but I do know my sleep patterns are not normal. By the way, have you checked your glucose levels?

That seems to be scary, I mean, if we are driving and we fall asleep we can cause an accident!

I think a lot of the sleep issues related to Fibromyalgia (and related disorders) have to do with the inability to get enough good quality sleep at night to carry us through the day. There was a period when I would be unable to stay awake. It was frightening, especially because at the time, I was in a position where I had to do quite a bit of driving for my job.

I can recall several times when I was sitting at red lights when I felt compelled to shut my eyes just for a few seconds. It was as if I had no control over my body. It happened several times at the same exact light, and I was on a very regimented work schedule then, so perhaps it had to do with the number of hours I'd been working, inability to move around, since I was stuck on a road in traffic, and there was no where I could pull off to rest.

That's when I taught myself to crank up the radio and sing along, keep the windows open if there was a breeze, or crank up the air conditioning to full blast on as cold as I could get it, just to stay awake. I'm very thankful that I don't have to experience that these days, because even now, years later, I feel sick to my stomach when I think of how it could have ended.

When we have this problem many times we are our best doctors and we need to know how to escape from the worse situations.

Medical research actually suggests that deprivation of sleep can cause death in a matter of days. I have spent sleepless nights in the past and its one of the most overwhelming issues one has to deal with the next day. But starting the day with a hefty meal and tapering it off towards the evening is the correct approach. A packet of glucose should be at hand in case of energy depletion. Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back