Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
hedon
The closest I ever get to a temporary solution is after a nap in the late afternoon/evening. Even better if after a long walk. When I awake my energy levels are at the highest they ever are, pretty much at pre-CFS levels, albeit usually only for bout 20 minutes. After a long sleep I don't get any benefits, but after a nap I always do. What do you think is the reason behind this?

Maybe because the nap is shorter and then you are up and moving around again, as the longer rest has you laying down for a longer period of time and even though you might shift around in your sleep your not as active as you are after a short nap. Also the area in which you take your short nap maybe more comfortable then your night time resting spot. :)

The closest I ever get to a temporary solution is after a nap in the late afternoon/evening. Even better if after a long walk. When I awake my energy levels are at the highest they ever are, pretty much at pre-CFS levels, albeit usually only for bout 20 minutes. After a long sleep I don't get any benefits, but after a nap I always do. What do you think is the reason behind this?

I have regularly taken 60 minute naps and often experience the very same thing.
I have no idea why, but I am thankful that I have those moments!
Today was a two nap day, but not much relief.
Sure beats hard narcotics which I hate to take!

I never get that benefit from naps, not even from a 8 hours long sleep. You can consider lucky! For some reason I wake up feeling so restless most of the time, I'm guessing something is wrong with my seep... for some reason I tend to wake up very easily and tend to hear whatever happens around me when I am sleeping. So no deep sleep stages for me, I'm guessing you are the kind of person who can reach the deep sleep stage easily, Hedonologist :)

I feel more refreshed after taking a nap almost anytime of day. Fibromyalgia is a condition that needs periods of rest, and times for healing, in my opinion. This helps the body be able to feel like it is starting a brand new day, with better possibilities for less pain and suffering. Take a nap sometime during the day, it may be what your body has been looking for. Medication may help a part of this condition; however better sleep habits might just help as well.

I'm guessing you are the kind of person who can reach the deep sleep stage easily, Hedonologist :)

I'm not sure whether I can. Do you find that you are more fatigued after waking up? That's what I find. After A long sleep I am very fatigued, late at night I am mildly fatigued, but for a brief period after a short nap I am not fatigued at all.

but for a brief period after a short nap I am not fatigued at all.

That is the best I get yet I can not count on feeling well after a short nap.
As usual, nothing is stable and I can't count on much, only make general
observations on what sometimes helps....

I take a nap everyday, and it does make me feel a little better, but the next day I'm exhausted again. I'm tired of being tired. It is exhausting!

I take a nap everyday, and it does make me feel a little better, but the next day I'm exhausted again. I'm tired of being tired. It is exhausting!

Is it always the part of the day before your nap that you feel worst? It's strange how a short 2 hour session mid day gives us energy but nothing else will, or any other type of sleep.

For some reason, those shorter naps help. My doctor recommended a 10 to 15 minute nap a couple of times a day to help with fatigue. She said to place something like a pen in your hand and lay down. When your hand drops, get up. Sounds kind of off, but it works. It gives me that boost that I need to keep moving and I don't feel as drained all the time.

I'm reading this and thinking how lucky you all are....I have severe insomnia along with my fibro chronic blah, blah.....I was put on a sleep hygiene to retrigger my sleep patterns. I literally can't do it. It throws me into a flare-up every time. What the pain management psychologist says is that I'm supposed to get up at the same time every day 7-days a week. If I don't fall asleep within 30 minutes, get up. If I wake up during the night and don't fall right back to sleep, get up. No naps, along with a whole host of other things. I don't think he gets the cycle with chronic fatigue and chronic pain. I average about 2-4 (if I'm lucky) hours of sleep a night. Sometimes short naps make me feel refreshed, but sometimes they make me feel drugged. What I wouldn't give to have a full night sleep and wake up feeling refreshed.....Sorry, I'm on the wrong blog....I should be on the complaint and whining blog....

I say if a short nap helps you, then go for it! I sure would, and continue to try.... :)

I'm reading this and thinking how lucky you all are....I have severe insomnia along with my fibro chronic blah, blah.....I was put on a sleep hygiene to retrigger my sleep patterns. I literally can't do it. It throws me into a flare-up every time. What the pain management psychologist says is that I'm supposed to get up at the same time every day 7-days a week. If I don't fall asleep within 30 minutes, get up. If I wake up during the night and don't fall right back to sleep, get up. No naps, along with a whole host of other things. I don't think he gets the cycle with chronic fatigue and chronic pain. I average about 2-4 (if I'm lucky) hours of sleep a night. Sometimes short naps make me feel refreshed, but sometimes they make me feel drugged. What I wouldn't give to have a full night sleep and wake up feeling refreshed.....Sorry, I'm on the wrong blog....I should be on the complaint and whining blog....

I say if a short nap helps you, then go for it! I sure would, and continue to try.... :)

Sometimes I feel very tired but can't get to sleep. In these situations the only thing that helps me is going for a long walk, as in 5-7 miles. That will exhaust me not only physically, but it will also help me get to sleep. Its the only thing I can suggest at the moment.

I'm reading this and thinking how lucky you all are....I have severe insomnia along with my fibro chronic blah, blah.....I was put on a sleep hygiene to retrigger my sleep patterns. I literally can't do it. It throws me into a flare-up every time. What the pain management psychologist says is that I'm supposed to get up at the same time every day 7-days a week. If I don't fall asleep within 30 minutes, get up. If I wake up during the night and don't fall right back to sleep, get up. No naps, along with a whole host of other things.

For me, that would NOT work at all.
I do not think the pain management psychologist (WTF is THAT?) knows FM very well.

I find that a nap of an hour or less usually works well but if I go over an hour
I feel worse upon waking.
I might get 8 hours of sleep in a day but it takes naps to get there.
FM sure seem to have a lot to do with sleep.....

Amen LizardKing! I agree, I don't think the pain management center, which includes a psychologist, knows or understands anything about not only fibro, but also paired with colitis and IBS. I have not made any additional appointments. They are expensive, even with insurance!

For some reason, those shorter naps help. My doctor recommended a 10 to 15 minute nap a couple of times a day to help with fatigue. She said to place something like a pen in your hand and lay down. When your hand drops, get up. Sounds kind of off, but it works.

I've heard many people say this. No more than 20 minutes is recommended by nap supporters. I might have to try it because if I take a nap I'm up all night. Sometimes I lie down just to rest my back and fall asleep, wrecking any hope I had of sleeping that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back