Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Au
State
Nsw
Hi,

Just wondered what everyone does for exercise. My doctor keeps telling me I need to get more and that being tired is not a good enough excuse as exercise doesn't deplete energy. :roll: I don't sleep well so would prefer not to get up early to go for a walk then when i get home from work I am too tired and it is too dark outside.

Cardio daily is extremely helpful for me. It's not easy, and I can't always find the strength and energy to do much, but keeping my heart rate up for a while each day helps. I have an Xbox One and I love Xbox Fitness on it. I use it most days. Otherwise, I swim at the YMCA.

One thing I realized is that exercise does not have to be painful. What I basically do is walk around our area every morning, just to enjoy the cool breeze and enjoy the view and I would do that for about an hour. I consider that my exercise already. In other words, I didn't even notice that I exerted much effort and the entire activity was fun.

I think you can think of these types of physical activity and just do that regularly and you have a good routine for an exercise already.

Get exercise any way you can. An easy walk in the morning for 15 minutes and another on your lunch break will keep you moving. If you haven't been exercising at all, do it gradually and add a bit each day. You don't need to be doing push-ups to exercise. If you can manage a fast walk to get your heart rate up that it really beneficial. Just remember small steps to fit your routine. I walk with my one cup of coffee in the morning once the stiffness eases up. It's good for my mental health as well.

Thanks. I had been trying to build up a routine and was doing a couple days a week but doctor said I should be doing 30 minute blocks of heart pumping activity everyday. And there's no reason why I shouldn't have the energy not to. I do short walks each day but that didn't count apparently. :(

Tell your doc to take a hike! Seriously, 2x a day of 15 minute heart rate elevating exercise=30 minutes. 30 minutes of heart pounding cardio right out of the gate just sucks the fuel from your body and makes it more difficult to want to do it again. Pace yourself, add more over time. And by the way, one of my pet peeves is being told by an out of shape doc that I need more exercise!

I totally agree. You should not feel tired to exercise because you will appreciate how it feels after you do so. He's right when he said it does not deplete your energy because it actually causes you to feel much more energized and lively. Also, you don't need to make your exercise too long. You can just spend about 30 minutes each day. Even if that's just a short period of time, you'll immediately see the great benefits of that to your body.

Today is one of those days that I have stuck to my goal of exercising. I walk up and down stairs inside my house. Then I go walking around my complex. I see others doing the same. Yet, I am still feeling tired or fatigued.

I do some walking for exercise. It is not easy but I do it even though I do not walk fast and I do not walk inclines and such very often. I also use a big exercise ball and do as much as I can on that.

I have the same problem as you describe. It's so hard to get to sleep, I don't want to have to get up early in order to exercise because I really need my rest. Then later in the day when I have time, it's often dark or getting dark. Heck, even if it's light out, it may not be a good time to go because it's hot, cold, raining, or a rough day for allergies.

The only way I've found that works for me to get around all these problems is I have a treadmill. I got mine years ago at Sears for less than $600, and it was worth every penny. It's easy enough to put on a movie and go for a gentle walk without having to brave the outdoors. Plus the best part is if I get super tired, I don't have to turn around and walk home -- I'm already there! Just knowing that I'm already home helps me walk farther than I would dare to do outside.

If you don't want the expense and responsibility of having a treadmill, try joining a nearby gym. I think treadmills are the most ideal exercise for those of us who struggle with chronic pain and fatigue. What do y'all think?

Today is a good day. Yesterday I complete 4 not but 4 sets of exercise. I ran, climber stairs, and bicycled. This morning, I awoke with more energy. However, I not 100% convinced its the exercise. I would exercise during the winter months, and not much came of it.
Today it is in the low 70's, and the humidity is low. Perhaps that has the greatest impact on my health.

Sometimes working out becomes to painful, but a little stretching and some yoga helps with the pain and gives relaxation.

Yoga works just fine for my girlfriend, who is diagnosed with fibro.
I strongly suggest taking a least a couple classes with an instructor before going it alone. If you do yoga wrong, it's not effective and you could make matters worse.
She got started by taking private classes with an instructor who specializes in chronic pain and injuries. He works around my pain and illness and specifically designs routines that she can do at home alone. It's not as pricey as you might think. If nothing else, see if you can have a couple sessions like that to get the lay of the land.
Try calling a local studio and see if they have someone who might do this, or a class that could help.

Cardio daily is extremely helpful for me. It's not easy, and I can't always find the strength and energy to do much, but keeping my heart rate up for a while each day helps. I have an Xbox One and I love Xbox Fitness on it. I use it most days. Otherwise, I swim at the YMCA.

Yeah, I make sure that I always always include cardio in my daily exercise. I can leave the other things behind such as weightlifting but I will always do my cardio. I like it when I perspire a lot and the other types of exercises just don't do that for me.

What's also nice with cardio is that you don't really need to spend that much time doing it. 15-20 mins daily is already good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back