Exercising with Fibromyalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamitpal

Hi all,

I've been stuck in a Fibromyalgia flare up for a little over 5 months at this point. I used to work out quite a bit beforehand with a mixture of martial arts, yoga, cardio and strengthening exercising. I'm starting to feel like I have more energy and strength than I did about a month ago but still experience pain and stiffness throughout my body, especially in my neck, shoulder, upper back and hips and am not sure I'm up to my previous work out regimen. Even though I feel stronger than last month I know I'm a lot weaker than I was 5 months ago and I'd like to rebuild at least some of my strength. I do weekly physical therapy sessions with take home exercises but they're mostly stretches and not as much of a work out that I'm seeking.

Are there strengthening and/or cardio exercise routines that you all have found manageable with your Fibromyalgia, even during flare ups? Has anyone joined a particular work out group or subscribed to a YouTube channel or online program with exercises they've found helpful?

Thank you!

Lots of people have found things that work for them, but even if we tell you about them, but it's all in what works for you, and what works for another person may not work for you. One thing you could do is go to YouTube and watch a few free videos that look as if they might be good and sort through them until you find a teacher or a style that seems to work for you. You can also stream classes. And be ready to roll with the changes, because what works for three weeks and feels great, may suddenly not work in week four and cause you pain. You just have to go with whatever is working in the moment. And always, start gradually with a lot less than you think you can do, and work up from there.

I find what I can do varies widely from one day/week/month to another.

Are there strengthening and/or cardio exercise routines that you all have found manageable with your Fibromyalgia, even during flare ups? Has anyone joined a particular work out group or subscribed to a YouTube channel or online program with exercises they've found helpful?
Hi - I'm pretty self-motivated, and use my blog to amplify that, so don't need groups, channels or programs.
My best self-treatments (exercises, stretches and acupressure) are self-developed ("twist-stretching") or by by searching youtube for the symptom/pain with each of these 3 words. I did try live back/neck classes for old people and various things for fibromites in the fibro/rheum clinic, but a lot of these tore me up, even made me cry, until I realized where my limits & sweet spots are and self-advocated them. When I have the strength I do some of the "7' scientific workout".

Hi to all,

I am finding not been able to loose weight I am not very happy at all I hate been overweight all together I have had loadz of trauma in my life and I cannot cope with being overweight I have bought a weighted hula hoop but I've not lost any weight yet I need to loose about 3kg alltogether.

I am also buying a bike in May as I will be 60 in May and I am not staying overweight.

Dolphin500.

not been able to loose weight ... weighted hula hoop ... need to loose about 3kg ... buying a bike in May .. and I am not staying overweight.
Sounds like a great resolution, even if 3kg doesn't sound much.
Amitriptyline put 6kg on me. I hated that altho my wife seems to prefer it. I've almost got rid of it 2 years later, despite less sports.

Hi to all,

I hope I will be able to ride my bike ok its comming either today or Thursday I keep loosing weight one day n put back on next day it's really frustrating I hate being like this all together I have mitraperazine anti depressant don't know if it puts weight on or not but I had to have citrazine hayfever tabs my eyes really itchy n hurt they put you weight on cus I was lower weight the other day and now I've put some on .
I've also been for blood tests and an ecg too.

Thanks for your reply

Dolphin500

Hi to all,

I am not too happy at the moment as I have to go back to urology more bladder problems to have a cytoscopy test yuck camera inside bladder.

I am going on a bike ride tommorow been trying to balance for the past week will let you know how it goes hope it goes well.

Dolphin500.

I really like Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone. I bought her dvd & there are several good routines that you can follow depending on your needs. You can also find them on YouTube. All the best 😊

I switched from dumbbells to resistance bands. I find them much kinder to my fibro, plus they are so much easier to store! Having a dog, I walk him frequently, as well as ride my bike on the trail, in the parks and along the beach, not to mention using it for errands. I find that, gratefully, I am able to continue my cycling without any fibro pain. In fact, I always find that I feel better after a good bike ride. A lot depends upon the design of the bike you have. Mine is power assisted (so I still have to pedal), and the handlebars at just the right level so that my arms are outstretched and my back is straight. When I'm cycling, I am primarily using muscles that are not involved or the least involved with my fibro pain: my quads, hamstrings and abs. I also feel better after using my resistance bands. I strongly feel that exercise should be a part of every fibro pain mgmt program. There are countless ways we can work exercise into our day.

In fact, I always find that I feel better after a good bike ride. ... design of the bike ... muscles that are not involved or the least involved with my fibro pain: my quads, hamstrings and abs.
Interesting for me to compare. I feel better during a short slow bike ride (30'), or at the beginning of a longer one. During it I have to watch for local pains like arms and wrists, and neck vs. backside and spine. So it's best for me to alternate positions / pains. Sometimes it's OK, sometimes not at all. But that usually stops when I get off. However once I get off I get a backlash in my legs from the steady monotone movement, just like I get backlashes from lying down, sitting or standing. I have to watch that I don't stumble, so better not get off near cars, moving or not. Then I have to stand and wait and stretch to re-arrange. Weirdly, my muscles somehow seize up, despite the movement, so I have to stretch them to be able to move again. At the same time, depending on The Ache starts oozing into all my limbs, independently of what they were doing, just signalling having overdone it. If I stopped in time it either doesn't go up too much and only takes an hour or two to recover. Or it goes up higher, but still only takes an hour or two. If I didn't, it can mean needing 5 or 6 hours of rest or even 1 or 2 days. If I'd push thru it'd stay high, then go into a vicious circle with more sleeplessness, more stiffness etc....
But I find cycling so exhilarating! Table tennis too, but there I can sense the Ache increasing whilst playing, after 10' at the moment.

My rides are generally slow, easy going and relatively short. I have not ridden more than an 8 Mile ride in several years. My only issue and I think you kind of touched upon it is stopping, getting on and off my bike and propping myself up if I'm in a stopped position like at an intersection. But again, the design of the bike is so important and anyone considering buying a new cycle who has fibromyalgia should consider what type of bike design will work best for them and their own experience with their fibro pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back