Experience w/ Duloxetine?

fibroguy

Country
CA
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and had a question about Duloxetine.

I've been struggling with a lot of numbness, fatigue, wide spread pain that moves around and brain fog for over 5 years now. I've seen a ton of doctors and have gotten a lot of weird looks when describing my symptoms.

My doctor put me on Duloxetine last Thursday, and said if it works, that I likely have Fibromyalgia. Do you agree with this?

About 80% of my numbness is gone, my brain fog cleared up, and I have a lot more energy, after only 5 days, and no side effects. Still have a lot of pain but that might go with time too. I feel like a new person really, it's incredible being able to taste food and feel the cold from the floor under feet!

Have other people had a similar experience with symptoms improving so quick and did it last?

Duloxetine, also called Cymbalta, is an antidepressant that is often used to treat pain, and lots of people who have FM have taken it with widely varying effects. some have been helped, some have had severe side effects, and for some it does nothing.

Your doctor saying that if it works you likely have fibromyalgia is in my opinion a ridiculous statement. People do not get diagnosed with FM because one particular drug helps or does not help. Not to mention the fact that people who do have fibromyalgia have such drastically varying reactions to the drug.
This doctor is, in my opinion, displaying some degree if ignorance about FM, and it might be advisable for you to go to a doctor who knows more about it.

FM is a diagnosis of elimination, meaning that, assuming you have the symptoms, you are tested for all of the other things that could cause those symptoms: MS, ME, Lupus, Arthritis, and so on. If you do not test positive for those things, then the doctor may decide that you have fibromyalgia. The word really means that you have all these physical symptoms and they cannot find the cause.

Doing your own research about FM is a good idea, and of course there's lots of information here on this forum. We are here to help and answer questions as best we can, and you may hear from others who have had various different experiences with cymbalta.

Hi fibroguy: I’m curious, did your doctor order any tests that might have shown why you have the numbness, in particular? I’m asking because I take Duloxetine but it was prescribed after I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, which was causing numbness and pain in my feet and left arm. I don’t remember how long it took, but it has helped with about maybe 60% of the numbness. I take it at night and I believe it helps me sleep and I don’t have the possible side effect of being groggy in the daytime.

I agree with what sunkacola said about your doctor’s statement. I would think that if it “worked”, it would be more likely that you have neuropathy or something that might have to do with your symptoms to begin with, but that certainly is not a way to diagnose fibromyalgia!

It did nothing for me, but my diabetic husband is on it. It has made a slight improvement in his neuropathy. I'm glad it is helping you. Wonderful!

I have used Duloxetine for some years and find it effective. Of coarse everyone is different. I take it along with Gabapin. I also must use a pain pill three times a day.

I have used Duloxetine for some years and find it effective. Of coarse everyone is different. I take it along with Gabapin. I also must use a pain pill three times a day.
No doubt you are well settled in with your routine, and I am not here to tell you to change it. Just want to mention that taking all of that medication may not be the best way to treat FM, and I have written a post on things that anyone can do to improve the management of this syndrome in order to take fewer drugs and be in general more healthy. I always encourage new people here to check it out and see what they might be able to try that will help.
Just in case there is something here for you.......

I HAVE BEEN ON CYMBALTA FOR A LONG TIME. DOES NOT HELP WITH PAIN BUT WITH DEPRESSION. TAKE 90 [60+30] YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT FOR 3 MONTHS BEFORE KNOWING IT WORKS SOME NEED HIRE DOSE. I HAVE BEEN DIAG. W/ NUROPHY TOO BUT WONDER??? IF I TAKE 20 GENERIC FLEXERIL SEVERAL DAYS IT SEEMS TO GO AWAY WITH EXERCISE AND STERECH. MY THEORY MUSCLES CONTRACT SO TIGHT FROM FIBRO IT LESSONS BLOOD FLOW, THUS NUROTHPY. I HAVE BEEN DIO. WITH OTHER THINGS TOO SUCH AS PLANTERS FACHITIS FEET AND HANDS HANDS DIFFERENT NAME. CHECK IN TO THOSE. SORRY FOR MIS-SPELLINGS BAD PAIN DAY

This past spring I had some experience with duloxetine. At first it did help with the pain, which had become so considerable that I did what I never want to do, and asked for medication. In about three weeks it stopped working. So my doctor raised the dose, and almost immediately I had so many unpleasant side effects that I only stayed on it for about another three weeks. The side effects didn't get better, only worse, and I could not possibly tolerate them.

I have heard of many people who had bad side effects with this drug. I certainly cannot recommend it, but everyone is different. I've heard more bad stories about duloxetine than good ones.

I HAVE BEEN ON CYMBALTA FOR A LONG TIME. DOES NOT HELP WITH PAIN BUT WITH DEPRESSION. TAKE 90 [60+30] YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT FOR 3 MONTHS BEFORE KNOWING IT WORKS SOME NEED HIRE DOSE. I HAVE BEEN DIAG. W/ NUROPHY TOO BUT WONDER??? IF I TAKE 20 GENERIC FLEXERIL SEVERAL DAYS IT SEEMS TO GO AWAY WITH EXERCISE AND STERECH. MY THEORY MUSCLES CONTRACT SO TIGHT FROM FIBRO IT LESSONS BLOOD FLOW, THUS NUROTHPY. I HAVE BEEN DIO. WITH OTHER THINGS TOO SUCH AS PLANTERS FACHITIS FEET AND HANDS HANDS DIFFERENT NAME. CHECK IN TO THOSE. SORRY FOR MIS-SPELLINGS BAD PAIN DAY
Hi, and welcome!

I do think your idea that it's the tight muscles from fibro that lessens blood flow may be part of the cause of neuropathy, but of course there will be many other causes or combination of them possible.

I was curious about the hand version of plantar fasciitis, it's as we'd expect palmar fasciitis, but is far less common - strangely often associated with ovarian cancer...

Hope your pain days get better again...!

I do not agree with your doctor's statement at all. Like @sunkacola said, that is a very ridiculous statement. I was prescribed duloxetine and was on it for at least 2 years for depression. It did nothing whatsoever for pain relief for me personally. If it's doing something to help you I think that's wonderful. In the end, I simply could not tolerate it nor any other ssris or snris. But to your original question, I absolutely believe nobody here will agree with that statement made by your doctor.

I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which greatly affected my mental health. My GP prescribed 30mg Duloxetine with a review after 3 weeks to see if I have had side effects. I had headaches and a little nausea the first week which have now resided. I'm assuming she may increase the dosage if all goes well. Fingers crossed it will improve my mood and pain. Most antidepressants take a a number of weeks before you begin to feel any improvement.
I'm astonished that your GP is using this medication to determine fibromyalgia. I would definitely see another GP if possible.

Back