Extreme Fatigue

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Raini

Hi Everyone,

I have been recently diagnosed with FM and have been experiencing debilitating fatigue which seems to be getting worse. My body becomes cold and I just want to sleep most of the time. Does anyone have suggestions on how to cope with this symptom?

Hi D Raini, and welcome in 👋 🍵 My suggestions:
Firstly: Is it your meds?
Secondly: Do you pace / keep under limits / sweet spots? (➡️ sunkacola's big advice post?)
Thirdly: Short, regular exercises & stretches all day, even lying down? From seconds to minutes to 5 minutes to 10... That should get your circulation and cortisol going again more and more, at least a bit.
Fourthly: Supps like carnitine, good magnesiums, CoQ10?
Fifth: Manual physio, by a gentle and understanding expert?
(Sixth: I'm just having surprising success with Chinese acupuncture)

Hi D Raini, welcome! I also have debilitating fatigue. I am not sure if it is due to Fibro or Long Covid, which I also have and have had going on 7 months now (could it be that for you?). It’s horrible to feel this way every. single. day. - just ZERO energy & fatigue, have to go back to bed for a few hours just to make it through the day. I’ve been trying CoQ10 for about 3 weeks now (no change), added GABA about a week ago (no change yet). Will be starting on Alpha Lipoic Acid next. I’m trying to get at least some exercise and know it will probably help but it’s hard to drag yourself up to exercise when you feel this way. I feel for ya! But don’t give up - there’s got to be something that helps!

Hi JayCS and LolaMerle,

I am still learning this platform. It takes me some time to make my way through. @JayCS, my body is unable to handle much right now. Thus, making my pace slow compared to what it was before. I tried stretching and the tightness loosens and goes back not too long afterwards. All your suggestions are appreciated and I have engaged in most of them. Exercising is stretching for me right now. However, I will continue seeking a solution for long term effects.

@LolaMerle - Sorry to hear about Covid on your energy. It is a doozy to have Covid and I hope you recover from the long term effects. What is working for me right now is having some caffeinated drinks close to the afternoon to help me get through day.

Thank you both for your responses and advice.

@JayCS, my body is unable to handle much right now. Thus, making my pace slow compared to what it was before.
Yup, I get that, we all know it! 👐 "10 or 20 seconds" every "few minutes or hours": very short/easy, but very regular may help... :cool:

@LolaMerle - Sorry to hear about Covid on your energy. It is a doozy to have Covid and I hope you recover from the long term effects. What is working for me right now is having some caffeinated drinks close to the afternoon to help me get through day.
Thank you, D Raini. I had to cut back on coffee, even though I only have two cups in the morning and that’s it, but the second cup started giving me the jitters for some reason. I miss that second cup! About 2-3 hours after I wake up in the morning (feeling fatigued even then), I simply have to go back to bed and nothing will help that total drag on my system. It’s really hard to figure out. If you make any headway let me know and I will do the same!

I have struggled with severe fatigue before. Sometimes it still increases especially in the hot summertime. I take B Complex vitamins, but the kicker for me is to add-on the maximum daily allowance of Biotin which brings me to 10,000 on the Biotin. My B complex vitamins are manufactured from natural food ingredients. The resting and pacing is still key, and if you can rest long term without severe deconditioning, then a few years of lots of extra naptime and resting will eventually begin to show results.

Hi D Raini: For me, I found that the best way to handle the fatigue was by pacing myself. This is something that you have to be disciplined about. It's about listening to your body & resting when you first begin to feel the fatigue. For example, I'd be out running errands on my day off & overdoing it trying to get everything done! Surefire way to bring on the fatigue! Now, I set reasonable & doable goals. If I go thru the grocery store & also stop at Target to pick up a few things - that's enough for me & I go home and take a break. I now avoid the larger stores & go to the smaller ones like Trader Joe's and Aldi's.
A tool that I use is my FitBit. I set it up to alert me after I've walked a certain amount of steps. This means that I have to stop and rest at that point. It really helps.
While resting, I either pick up a book or watch a TV show. Many times, I take a quick cat nap.
Once you learn how to do this on a daily basis your life will improve. Yes, it stinks that we have to do this but it has make my life much more manageable. Instead of feeling like you can't do a lot of things like you used to, think about what you can do & strive to make that happen.
I am a big believer in supplements; especially the B vitamins & ashwanghanda to keep my adrenals steady.

Thank you, D Raini. I had to cut back on coffee, even though I only have two cups in the morning and that’s it, but the second cup started giving me the jitters for some reason. I miss that second cup! About 2-3 hours after I wake up in the morning (feeling fatigued even then), I simply have to go back to bed and nothing will help that total drag on my system. It’s really hard to figure out. If you make any headway let me know and I will do the same!
Sounds good LolaMerle! I will definitely share what works. For now, I stay away from stress, pace myself, and rest as much as possible. We need to build a community of support and I am happy to be apart of this form to help gain as much information as possible. Best wishes

Hi D Raini: For me, I found that the best way to handle the fatigue was by pacing myself. This is something that you have to be disciplined about. It's about listening to your body & resting when you first begin to feel the fatigue. For example, I'd be out running errands on my day off & overdoing it trying to get everything done! Surefire way to bring on the fatigue! Now, I set reasonable & doable goals. If I go thru the grocery store & also stop at Target to pick up a few things - that's enough for me & I go home and take a break. I now avoid the larger stores & go to the smaller ones like Trader Joe's and Aldi's.
A tool that I use is my FitBit. I set it up to alert me after I've walked a certain amount of steps. This means that I have to stop and rest at that point. It really helps.
While resting, I either pick up a book or watch a TV show. Many times, I take a quick cat nap.
Once you learn how to do this on a daily basis your life will improve. Yes, it stinks that we have to do this but it has make my life much more manageable. Instead of feeling like you can't do a lot of things like you used to, think about what you can do & strive to make that happen.
I am a big believer in supplements; especially the B vitamins & ashwanghanda to keep my adrenals steady.
Thank you Sabina! Your recommendations are helpful. Ashwanghanda sounds interesting and will do a bit of research on it to understand the benefits. Also, I am cautious with supplements as my body reacts easily to everything. Sometimes I prefer to order groceries to cut down on errands. Yes, rest is the best medicine for FM it seems. I am about to take a relax right now as the cold feeling is my warning sign to take a break. Take good care of yourself until next time...

I have struggled with severe fatigue before. Sometimes it still increases especially in the hot summertime. I take B Complex vitamins, but the kicker for me is to add-on the maximum daily allowance of Biotin which brings me to 10,000 on the Biotin. My B complex vitamins are manufactured from natural food ingredients. The resting and pacing is still key, and if you can rest long term without severe deconditioning, then a few years of lots of extra naptime and resting will eventually begin to show results.
Great suggestions Faustina! I am working on that now and hopefully, I will see results too... I miss my previous lifestyle however, taking care of our health is paramount for improvement.

Ashwanghanda sounds interesting and will do a bit of research on ... the benefits. ... cautious with supplements as my body reacts easily to everything.
Ah, in that case I'll chip in that my gut reacted severely to ashwagandha, plus I smelt like a horse... 🐴 🤪
(I get side effects from about 15% of supps and severe ones from 90% of meds. Also 100% "physio" - unless I "stint", then 10%.)

Last edited:
Ah, in that case I'll chip in that my gut reacted severely to ashwagandha, plus I smelt like a horse... 🐴 🤪
(I get side effects from about 15% of supps and severe ones from 90% of meds. Also 100% "physio" - unless I "stint", then 10%.)
Lol@smeltlikeahorse! Definitely not pleasant however, sounds like we have similar reactions to meds and supps. For me, its best to get the vitamins and minerals through food sources.

sounds like we have similar reactions to meds and supps. For me, its best to get the vitamins and minerals through food sources.
Ah, well I react to 80% of meds, 20% of supps, but 80-90% of foods - so food is exactly no alternative... 🤪
(To get my food list to 50 (mainly unprocessed veggies) I keep foods on it which aren't that good for me - dosage-experiments.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back