Extreme Thoracic Pain Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CakeLady

I have been having periodic attacks of extreme thoracic pain. It is not cardiac or pulmonary related. I have had an MRI of my thoracic spine, but nothing remarkable showed up. I have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. My doctors to date don't have any answers as to the cause or as to how to treat. These attacks last anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour and are excruciating. I have looked at the various possible diagnoses but none of these really fit what I am experiencing. Has anyone experienced something similar?

@CakeLady where exactly is your pain ? For me I get pain betwee shoulder blades and some times it extends to entire left shoulder blade and left upper arm.

My doctor says normally my kind of pain would come from neck so he has scheduled cervical mri for me

My pain is in my sternum, through my ribs on both side around to my back and into my shoulders.

Ok looks something different than mine

I too have had about a 6 month flare with extreme shoulder, arm and back pain under my scapula, milder on the right side. Reaching behind me for anything is excruciating. It used to only flare up a couple winter months but now it's continuous. Is yours something like that?

I too have had about a 6 month flare with extreme shoulder, arm and back pain under my scapula, milder on the right side. Reaching behind me for anything is excruciating. It used to only flare up a couple winter months but now it's continuous. Is yours something like that?

Hi CakeLady, and welcome!
May seem obvious, I don't know, but "costochondritis" or similar can cause extreme pain and can definitely be located there, been there, had that, learnt back exercises for them which I have to do every day without fail. In that case I'd describe it as overtaxing of the muscles between the ribs (and sternum), means they are too "weak" for our rib cage in its specific constellation. Docs can't help much with this, most physios are better, best youtube physios.
You could look at many posts about this on this forum by putting costochondritis in the search box with the magnifying glass top right...

My pain is in my sternum, through my ribs on both side around to my back and into my shoulders.
G’day CakeLady, have you heard of D.I.S.H?
I have it in my cervical spine and thoracic spine. I have that dreaded rib and sternum pain, specifically when breathing in or coughing. My osteopath is a great help in giving me some relief.
Hope you can get some answers soon. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back