Eye flashes

ChrissyR

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
Does anybody else have flashes in your eyes, left eye since Jan, and right eye started in April. Been told this is an 'ageing' issue and resolves eventually, mine shows no sign of resolving so wondered if connected to FM? Thanks.

squaregirl

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
Yes. I have the all day everyday. I even have streaks of blue and red that I will see sometimes, almost like an afterimage without it being caused by any stimuli in my environment. The flashing seems to happen in my right eye the majority of the time but can happen in my left eye too. I even experience like sparkles or a dot as a spark in my right and left eye. It is very unnerving experience considering I've never had this happen to me before and it happens often enough that it makes me think something more sinister is going on, although the exams I've had say I am normal (MRI, EEG etc).

sunkacola

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
Yes. I have the all day everyday. I even have streaks of blue and red that I will see sometimes, almost like an afterimage without it being caused by any stimuli in my environment. The flashing seems to happen in my right eye the majority of the time but can happen in my left eye too. I even experience like sparkles or a dot as a spark in my right and left eye. It is very unnerving experience considering I've never had this happen to me before and it happens often enough that it makes me think something more sinister is going on, although the exams I've had say I am normal (MRI, EEG etc).
Have you seen an ophthalmologist? I would say do that, if you have not already. Just in case....

sandieh

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
FL
I have something (diagnosed by an ophthalmologist) called opthalmic migraines. There is no pain and the flashing lasts for 15-20 minutes. I could have it 3 times in 1 week & not have it again for a year. The first time it happened it scared me to death and I went right to the eye dr., who immediately gave me a pamphlet on it. I don't know if that's what you have, but it's fairly common, not dangerous, and not related to fibro. Good luck.

squaregirl

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
@sunkacola great suggestion! I am going to make an appointment soon. Recently, all of my doctor appointments result in bills that need to be paid. So I can only do so much at one time. That said, I certainly hope they do not find anything wrong, but I do hope they have an explanation for what could possibly be the problem. The weird part about dealing with fibromyalgia for me is not knowing if this the first expression of autoimmune disease as this fibro syndrome is related to it. Currently, my rheumatologist and neurologist do not believe that I have any autoimmune disease activity and I hope it remains that way. At the very least an opthalmologist can write a prescription for glasses that protect my eyes from computer usage.

sunkacola

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
Let me know what he or she says when you get an appointment.
Glasses that protect from UV light can simply be requested....you don't need a prescription for that, just ask the optician to put in a UV blocking lens. Newer computers including laptops do not emit UV light the way older models did, so they shouldn't be harmful to your eyes.