Not open for further replies.

ChrissyR

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
Does anybody else have flashes in your eyes, left eye since Jan, and right eye started in April. Been told this is an 'ageing' issue and resolves eventually, mine shows no sign of resolving so wondered if connected to FM? Thanks.

Yes. I have the all day everyday. I even have streaks of blue and red that I will see sometimes, almost like an afterimage without it being caused by any stimuli in my environment. The flashing seems to happen in my right eye the majority of the time but can happen in my left eye too. I even experience like sparkles or a dot as a spark in my right and left eye. It is very unnerving experience considering I've never had this happen to me before and it happens often enough that it makes me think something more sinister is going on, although the exams I've had say I am normal (MRI, EEG etc).

Yes. I have the all day everyday. I even have streaks of blue and red that I will see sometimes, almost like an afterimage without it being caused by any stimuli in my environment. The flashing seems to happen in my right eye the majority of the time but can happen in my left eye too. I even experience like sparkles or a dot as a spark in my right and left eye. It is very unnerving experience considering I've never had this happen to me before and it happens often enough that it makes me think something more sinister is going on, although the exams I've had say I am normal (MRI, EEG etc).
Have you seen an ophthalmologist? I would say do that, if you have not already. Just in case....

I have something (diagnosed by an ophthalmologist) called opthalmic migraines. There is no pain and the flashing lasts for 15-20 minutes. I could have it 3 times in 1 week & not have it again for a year. The first time it happened it scared me to death and I went right to the eye dr., who immediately gave me a pamphlet on it. I don't know if that's what you have, but it's fairly common, not dangerous, and not related to fibro. Good luck.

@sunkacola great suggestion! I am going to make an appointment soon. Recently, all of my doctor appointments result in bills that need to be paid. So I can only do so much at one time. That said, I certainly hope they do not find anything wrong, but I do hope they have an explanation for what could possibly be the problem. The weird part about dealing with fibromyalgia for me is not knowing if this the first expression of autoimmune disease as this fibro syndrome is related to it. Currently, my rheumatologist and neurologist do not believe that I have any autoimmune disease activity and I hope it remains that way. At the very least an opthalmologist can write a prescription for glasses that protect my eyes from computer usage.

Let me know what he or she says when you get an appointment.
Glasses that protect from UV light can simply be requested....you don't need a prescription for that, just ask the optician to put in a UV blocking lens. Newer computers including laptops do not emit UV light the way older models did, so they shouldn't be harmful to your eyes.

@sunkacola just dropping a line to follow-up about the eye doctor. The visit went well, they all laughed at me that my prescription was mild, but the findings on the actual exam were normal and in great condition. They even took pictures of my retina in both eyes and all the results were normal. The doctor suggested I continue using eyedrops and get the prescription for the glasses with blue light filters. Lastly, all of the pain, flashes, sparks etc are not due to any disease or defect of the eye. So I guess I can only peg it to fibromyalgia.

I suppose so, squaregirl. Good to have done the investigation, though, so you know you did all you could to find out more if there were more to find.

I suppose so, squaregirl. Good to have done the investigation, though, so you know you did all you could to find out more if there were more to find.
Yes! I have to keep reminding myself this is a diagnosis of exclusion. The good part about it is my GP admits she was not taught to recognize it as a diagnosis because the community does not know much about it, but she stated she is willing to refer me for functional medicine and continue seeing me as a patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back