Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
70/2010
Country
UK
State
Hertfordshire
So I had my face to face on wens morning,this is to see if I will get disability for another year.
I got there on time ,but going through Luton first thing in the morning is like going through London.
Anyway I get there on time.my appointment was for 9.30.i didn't get seen till 1030.
The lady was very nice.but after 100 questions about id had enough.the worsed thing was I put down fibromyalgia.she asked about it but then,she then started asking about my bi polar.
After another 100 questions ,she asked me what bad thoughts I have.this is where I lost it and burst into tears.
I told her that this was very humiliating,trying to prove that I really do hurt body and mind.
The thing that shocked me next was,that she wasn't the one who would make the decision.it would be e mailed to someone in a office ,who would make the decision.someone who would never even see me.if I don't get it they put me on job seekers allowance.which my dr will not be happy with.
Then it will be me going back to the centre trying again and again.
I now feel in so much pain,fed up and worried.

Oh so sorry Forgetmenot...how awful..is this the same as you went through last year? You were successful last time so hopefully the outcome will be the same. You have a supportive doctor and at very least you can appeal with his/her help....there is a UK website called Benefits and Work..if you join which costs less than £19 it takes you step by step through the whole process including how to ask for something called a mandatory reconsideration and appeal and you can always get CAB to help you if you get stuck.

I hope you get a favourable answer without doing anything else.....with both conditions and having been successful before you must have a very good chance. i know its crazy that ATOS or Capita who are employed by the government to do the assessments only pass on the information and tick box answers to the DWP to make the final decision....and whoever you see may know nothing about Fibro or bi polar...our country has gone mad with these assessment criteria and process and it really makes me mad our doctors have so little say and we pay thousands to unqualified people to make such vital decisions.

I helped out someone i know with this process so i know its hard and very stressful.

Good Luck

Last edited:
truly unbelievable! They might just as well have computers replace these doctors and consultants! Computers can then assess whether someone is able to work or not, pathetic.

Do you have to go through this hell each year? I hope, like last time, the assessment ends with a positive result and they leave you alone. Fibro and mental illness is tough enough!

I think its pretty much like that..plus the staff conducting the initial assessments are trained to try and catch you out...so for example if you can watch TV or are on facebook sometimes or make good eye contact during the assessment i believe from what i have read this means to them you can not be suffering from depression.

They have physios or occupational therapists carrying out assessments for mental health problems or other illnesses where they have no expertise except a little company training on the process.

This is the system our government has introduced in the last few years to cut the benefits bill while wasting millions on failed computer systems, time consuming appeals that are successful and actually pay these assessment companies 14k for each person they get off sickness benefits.

Last edited:
I am in Canada and the system is no better. We are treated like lairs and drug addicts. It's up to us to prove we are ill and at the same time the effects are so random and inconsistent we can't even explain it ourselves. They take advance of the fact that there are no tests, no consistent symptoms among suffers, no one size fits all treatment and no cure. Stay strong. We need to continue to fight as individuals and as a group for better understand, better research. It's unfair that people can rely on appearances instead of actually feeling what we do. Even the questions they ask are around our mobility. They don't understand that just because you can do something in this moment doesn't mean you can do it the next. It's pure uncertainty.

Thankyou for your support,it means a lot.i do have that website willow.
The lady I saw was very nice.i guess crying half way through might help me out.but being pushed to breaking point wasn't fun.and yes I have to go through that every year.

IMO the testing system in place (at least in Canada) is set up for failure to ensure little monies are spent. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have an understanding and supportive husband taking care of me. What's interesting is I'm approved for a disability tax credit but NOT to collect a monthly disability check. Go figure! The intelligence of our government is mind boggling and scary.

Hi Forget me not,

Im sorry you got so upset.What we have to go through is very difficult,and we are always being judged by so many people.
Some are not knowledgeable about Fibro and might think it is related to our mental illness.
Which isn't fair.I hope she wasn't doing that and just was trying to get further information from you.

So many questions can be tiring too
When we go for these test,we start to question ourselves and it makes us stressed!
I can't believe they do this every year,that's not fair to put a person through that,especially when our symptoms get worse from stress!

I hope u get renewed and I'm sure u gave her enough to do that

Good luck

Sagey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back