Falling down, losing balance, and getting hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacmar

Hello, I am newly diagnosed and have been in a very painful flare for the past week. To add insult to injury, I tripped and had a fall hard going up the stairs. I am now sporting some lovely bruises and more pain. And then 2 days later, I missed a stair while descending and came crashing down again. Yes, more lovely bruises with a side of more pain. Is this just bad luck, a coincidence or part of the new fibro world? Any words of wisdom/knowledge/advise would be appreciated. Many thanks!

Interesting…

I have been occasionally dragging my toes recently and sort of tripping as a result. Like a feet malaise. Dragging my feet. Which fits with the body malaise and brain fog. Fatigue. Preoccupied, not paying attention.

Every step needs paying attention too if you have stairs and fibromyalgia.

Stay focused Jacmar.. keep sharing.

so sorry to hear about your falls, @jacmar - i fear doing the same myself... i live in an old house (about 120 yrs old) with steep and narrow steps.. I am constantly aware of the potential to slip and fall - mainly because I am up and down the stairs multiple times a day.

the best advice i can give is to always use the handrail, always pay attention to your footing, and dont rush! Be deliberate with every step.

the best advice i can give is to always use the handrail, always pay attention to your footing, and dont rush! Be deliberate with every step.
Yup. I've grown extremely careful and do all of this, handrail depending on my condition, but always prepared to use it, so always near it. The other day I did fall for the first time since fibro, not just stumble, can't recall why, it was outside, but as I do know how to fall well, I did myself absolutely no damage. So that's the other side: not to be overcautious. If we know something is gonna end in a fall then - at least for my fit body - it's better to fall properly rather than catch myself and break something. Sometimes if I know getting off my bike may be a major problem (it's never too easy) I do it next to a wall and let my back fall against the wall first, then decide which part of my body is next. Yeah, that's one, moving always in deliberation. And I practice this all the time, not just when walking, every time I get up, go down, move indoors, wherever....

And: welcome, Jacmar! 👋

Reactions: MNP
It's awful when this happens, you must be quite sore jacmar. I've found with the occasional fall that I can't seem to stop myself landing in a heap. Down like a 'bechdan' (sandwich) as we say. Atb

Reactions: MNP
Thank you for your kind words and good advice. Take care and be well.

I have not fallen for some years but do have unsteady "fits" I blame some spots in the floor.:)

Yes I'm seeing a physio on thrusday as I have gone down like a bag of poop a few times.but I do have back problems I find when the fibromyalgia fog is bad I drop things all the time.i forget everything and I trip up all the time.i now come down the stairs sideway facing the wall.i look like a prat but it works lol

Evening all, interesting topic as I know Fibro covers such a wide range of symptoms but I am glad someone else has asked this, I fall quite often or loose balance so I have to stop myself falling. I get 100% this could also be to fibro fog and not concentrating on where you are going but one small wrong step and I loose my balance. Was looking for a bungalow but only 52 and I dont think at my age I should write myself off yet BUT need to be very cautious with every step.

Was looking for a bungalow but only 52 and I dont think at my age I should write myself off yet BUT need to be very cautious with every step.
Hi 0803kelly, and welcome!
Yeah, when my wife talks about having to get me a wheelchair or chair lift or live on a bottom floor, I reply and show that I'll always get up and down stairs somehow, even if it takes half an hour: I use it, so I don't lose it...

Im with you on falling, I have hurt myself quite badly in the past. I get dizzy spells seems out of the blue they just hit, then down I would go. Since then I have learned to slow down be aware of my feet and hang onto whatever is there. This is all very new to me and some days its hard to escspe. My problem the most is my family doc does not help a bit, so I feel all alone, so glad I found this forum. Does anyone know of a fibro doc who knows their stuff in the Edmonton area?? I am actively looking. Thanks .

I have been falling for 4 years. The doctors say it is fibro. I have hit my head at least 140 times (my sister insisted I write each episode done after 2nd year being sent to a neurologist. I've tried everything. Now I just sit and use a rollator walker. I'm fed up. My head doesn't spin It just feels like it is full of oatmeal or the way I feel underwater . Doctors can't help and I've taken their meds and feel worse. DMG helps with the pain but not the brain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back