Fatigue and tirednesss

Status
Not open for further replies.
sam~

3 or 4 is a sleepy time for all! at work (when i did) we always made coffee for the whole office at 3:00 to ward off that drive home. 15 yrs ago ( before I was mature enough to drink coffee) I would get soooo tired at the wheel, I would have to pull over and nap! I still have a hard time at 4, good thing for oprah!

I will also speak up for provigil! About 7 or 8 months ago, I took it for a couple of months for the daytime sleepiness. It worked fine, but, alas I couldn't afford it! My insurance co. said they couldn't pay for a med like provigil for someone MY AGE!

So I quit taking it and learned to live with being tired all the time. Then came the diagnosed of ALS 2 months ago. I had tossed the idea around in my head for a while, and ultimately started taking it again today. A drug rep that is also a patient in our office told me I probably wasn't on it long enough in Jan this year to get the benefits of it.

Don't know how that will mix with the Rilutek and lithium, but maybe I won't be as exhausted at the end of the day. And yes, I will also pace myself and try not to overdo everything!
thanx to all for listening!

Keep the faith,
brenda

melatonin for fatigue

Hi folks. On the fatigue issue a Bipap might be needed. If you sleep crappy you'll be tired the next day. As luck would have it I am going for my annual sleep study tonight. I may need some changes to my settings.

AL.

If the fatigue which is the subject of this thread is anything at all to do with sleep, as AL said here, (and I agree with AL that if it is not all the problem it most likely to be part of the problem) then the melatonin is very much worth considering.

As obvious as it may sound and as easily as it may be discounted, I dare ask has anyone tried melatonin?
Not the blends that are homeopathic, but 99.99% pure pharmaceutical grade melatonin.

In Australia we can only get it with a prescription and then we need to go to a compounding chemist who makes it up in capsule or other options to help consuming it for those who have swallowing problems.

Melatonin is not just about falling asleep, it is about the kind of sleep and more so it is about what your body does at night if it has melatonin circulating.

I know of people who don’t sleep very much at all (2 - 4 hours) but melatonin helps them be fresher and more energetic in the morning and through the day.

I believe 4 mg in the evening is the recommended dose.

has anyone else tried it ? and can share with us their experience please.

wirky

Hi, Wirky ... I use an over-the-counter version of Melatonin (3 mg) for sleep about once or twice a week. I think it helps me fall asleep, and I seem to sleep about an hour longer than usual when I take it. I wake up feeling as if I've had a good night's sleep, but don't know if this translates into more energy during the day. (Never thought about it.)

But this is not a prescription-level version, just what you buy in a grocery store in the supplement aisle.
BethU

they say banana's are good to help you sleep on a night.
i have been on zopiclone sleeping tablets for 5yrs.
i only could sleep no more than 4hrs a night and it would be 2am before i fell asleep even with the sleep med,but now i can fall asleep in bed reading or watching tv by 11-30pm. i have more day to day fatigue and doing anything is a effort so i am more tired on a night.
but al has a point about the bipap,i can only sleep with 5 pillows(medium thickness).
i know i do have problems with breathing on a night and when i was using less pillows or if my pillows slip i start to choke in my sleep and it wakes me up and i can not breathe,thankfully it does not happen ofton.
take care.
caroline:)

Last winter I was eating a bowl of sliced bananas in warm milk with honey on top before bedtime. It was supposed to help you sleep better. I guess it did to some extent, and it was pretty tasty, also.

My sleep problem is not with falling asleep, but with waking up at 3 or 4 AM and not being able to get back to sleep. It sounds like BethU has had some success with melatonin for this.

I am kind of concerned, now that I am taking Rilutek, about interactions with this drug and any other sorts of things (like melatonin) that I might want to take.

I am pretty new to ALS, and I don't think I have any breathing problems yet, but I think fatigue is the biggest thing affecting my life, so far. More than the funny-sounding speech or the hand that doesn't work right. I also have a difficult time concentrating. Anybody else have this?

John

John, I have the waking up in the middle of the night problem, too. I have had that for years. I take Ambien some nights, and switch between Ambien for a couple of nights, and Melatonin for a night, as they both lose effectiveness if I take the same thing night after night. Usually, when I wake up at 3 or 4 a.m., I am able to get back to sleep, but not always.

About Rilutek: I am wondering if other people have found it made symptoms worse. I stopped it after a month, because I developed very strong twitching on my left arm ... it felt like my whole arm was jerking. I hadn't really had any persistent symptoms in my limbs before (although the EMG showed denervation in my left trapezius, so clearly it was present on my left side). The day after I stopped the Rilutek, the strong twitches went away, and I now have gentle twitches that I don't feel.

Talked to my ALS rep yesterday, and she said she had never heard of that side effect before. I am surely taking a bunch of meds, and I don't know if any of them interact with Rilutek. It would be helpful to hear from people who have had side effects or know of any interactions with Rilutek, or who have discontinued it.

BethU

Hi

I can say that like you BethU most people say the same good things. It's no surprise because it is what melatonin supposed to do.

If we could say that Melatonin has at least two benefits, the first is that it helps some people fall asleep and the second benefit is the good it allows your body to conduct during that sleep.
Some people who use “slow release” Melatonin say it extends the sleep time.

In regard to interactions with other things, I think this is where you should use the pure pharmaceutical grade and a product that has no other ingredients, filler or excipients incase these other things interact with other medication and melatonin gets the blame

wirky

Could someone answer a question for me? How many of you cannot sleep because of breathing problems? Is that what all of you are talking about? Does ALS only affect your sleep if you have bulbar type symptoms? I have similar problems with fatigue.
I have not been diagnosed with ALS, but I have missed the last three days of work b/c of fatigue. I met with my neurologist on 8/8 and he told me he thinks my fatigue is related to anxiety issues. He thinks the twitching and cramps in my left calf are benig, even though I am apparently losing muscle strength. He thinks these are two totally unrelated events. I had an EMG (negative) in June, along with an MRI of my spine. The neurologist did not see anything remarkable about the MRI. He said it looked like a "normal" spine of a 52 year old which apparently includes some minor bulging discs. He prescribed Xanax to treat me for anxiety. I took it yesterday as my fatigue became apparent. It seemed to not have any affect on the fatigue as I once again felt so incredibly worn out that I had to take a nap for 2.5 hours. I NEVER took naps until about two months ago. I am a runner but I don't know when the last was that I felt up to running. My wife and parents are frustrated that I have not gotten a second opinion yet. (There is a Mayo Clinic here). I am wondering if I should go.

Could someone answer a question for me? How many of you cannot sleep because of breathing problems? Is that what all of you are talking about? Does ALS only affect your sleep if you have bulbar type symptoms? I have similar problems with fatigue.
I have not been diagnosed with ALS, but I have missed the last three days of work b/c of fatigue. I met with my neurologist on 8/8 and he told me he thinks my fatigue is related to anxiety issues. He thinks the twitching and cramps in my left calf are benig, even though I am apparently losing muscle strength. He thinks these are two totally unrelated events. I had an EMG (negative) in June, along with an MRI of my spine. The neurologist did not see anything remarkable about the MRI. He said it looked like a "normal" spine of a 52 year old which apparently includes some minor bulging discs. He prescribed Xanax to treat me for anxiety. I took it yesterday as my fatigue became apparent. It seemed to not have any affect on the fatigue as I once again felt so incredibly worn out that I had to take a nap for 2.5 hours. I NEVER took naps until about two months ago. I am a runner but I don't know when the last was that I felt up to running. My wife and parents are frustrated that I have not gotten a second opinion yet. (There is a Mayo Clinic here). I am wondering if I should go.
Hi Andy, there are reasons to not sleep well, wake tired, etc that would not specifically be bulbar related. I'm guessing that as a 52 yr old male you snore some? (just a wild stab LOL) You may be experiencing sleep apnea. If there are times throughout your sleep cycle where you're not taking in enough oxygen, you're going to be tired in the day, maybe have headaches. It puts one at risk for serious blood pressure problems too. It will also make one wake after falling asleep, even though at the time of waking, the person wouldn't necessarily realize it was due to not breathing well enough. There are two types of sleep apnea, obstructive, which is a physical cause, whether it be just normal aging, or weakness due to a disease or illness. There is also a type that is central nervous system caused, in that somehow the signal gets mixed up and the body just "forgets" to breathe. With this type, a person may not snore at all, because its not from an obstructive cause, the person would just not breathe enough. If you've not participated in a sleep study, then that is something I'd highly recommend. The doctors can learn a lot about what is going on with just a couple of hours of sleep during one. Any of your doctors could give you a referral to a place where these are performed.

As for another take on bulbar symptoms causing it, I do have bulbar onset of MND, and have had fatigue for a long time. Sometimes I wake and get stuck awake, sometimes not. But, even though my ability to breathe is affected during sleep, I've read that upper motor neuron involvement will cause fatigue, it doesn't even have to be because of not getting a proper rest. So, a person can be tired without being sleepy, (which describes me best) but it sounds like you're having a lack of oxygen, which made me wonder about the sleep apnea.

Definitely pursue it, especially if the medication prescribed is not effective. Good luck! :)

Andy~

My dad was having alot issue's with being tired and worn out during the day. He did that sleep study on the recomendation of friend who had simliar issues. Well, sure enough he has sleep apnea. He uses some sort of machine at night and it seems to help.

I have no problem falling asleep, but would wake up all the time. I have been taking a sleeping pill that is not for falling asleep but staying asleep. I think it has helped alot. I am less tired during the day. It does not knock me out either, I can still hear the baby and go get her. But now I can fall back asleep after getting her. I went one night with out to see how I would do....I woke up every 20 minutes all night, it was awful! I am concerned if I will ever not need it!

Also, with als breathing problems is taking in air? I have a hard time getting a good deep breath in. It started when pregnant so I wasnt concerned. then I had it after and I thought it was my body recovering and now 10 months out I still have it. It does not appear to have gotten really worse. Should I go to pulmonalogist? could they see if it was from a weak diaphram? This is one of the first things that I noticed was "Off" looking backwards in time.

april

Should I go to pulmonalogist? could they see if it was from a weak diaphram? This is one of the first things that I noticed was "Off" looking backwards in time.

april

Hi, April ... I see a pulmonologist regularly because I had respiratory failure last December, so he's my follow up guy. What he does is a chest x-ray each visit, and he ordered a much more elaborate breathing evaluation than they did at the ALS clinic. (Although I think they were measuring the same things, basically.)

He/she would certainly be able to investigate why you are unable to take deep breaths.

Good luck!
BethU

Beth,

I saw one while I was in the hospital for pneumonia/plersy. They did a ct scan and gave me breathing treatments. He looked at my lungs and then did a follow up x-ray and it looked good. So I am sure there is nothing in my lungs that are the problem. He did not do anyother test at that time. JUst breathing in that tube to get lung function up. I cant get to the top, MY husband is only a little better than me....so I think that would be good. I trully feel it is in my diaphram. I will schedule a appt with my dads guy. He treats my dads sarciodosis of the lungs.

thanks,

april

Rose and April,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond. I will go ahead and admit that sometimes I wake myself because I snore. I slept on your advice :) and I do believe I have a sleep problem among other things. I think I will have some answers here in the next couple of months regarding what is going on with me. I am going to see a neurosurgeon Monday to determine if my symptoms (faciculations, cramping and muscle tightness) are possibly related to a pinched nerve. The strange thing is that I have several other symptoms of this disorder - lump in the throat, hoarseness, fatigue and random muscle twitches that are diagnosed as separate and unrelated problems. The lump in the throat was determined to be LPR (acid reflux), and as I said earlier, all the other symptoms were diagnosed as anxiety related. Now I have noticed my left calf muscle being tight for no apparent reason. My fatigue though is what is affecting me the most right now. It is interfering with work. My EMG is negative. I hear conflicting things about EMG's. I hear some say "be happy that it is negative" then I hear others who say they were diagnosed with ALS after their third, fourth or fifth EMG...

I am grateful to both of you and this website for the comfort and advice I have received. If nothing else comes from this for me it has certainly opened my eyes to the suffering of PALS.

Andy

andy~

good luck on monday at your appt. I really understand your concerns. I just went the ENT last week and was told I have LPR also. he used a thin tube to look down the throat & said no neuro problems with the cords but irritation. I am a little suspect of this diagnosed, too much of a coincidence that this lump appears at the onset of symptoms. I will grant that over the years I have had a raspy or hoarse voice from time to time. So, I will have to leave with LPR diagnosed untill otherwise.

My worst area is my left calf also. It goes from tight to jello. I have twitches there and loss of muscle. no cramping yet and I can still get around on it.

You should ask your neuro about getting something for fatigue. They have posted what meds are good for that the pals felt some improvement.

I believe in regards to your emg question, it has been addressed on the site. I have the same fear after I had a clean emg. They say that those people who go on to be diagnosed had uppper motor neuron als or symptoms. and if you have problems with lower ( wich I do) it will show up on emg. I am NO expert on this but if you want a better explanation "wright" can answer it. He addressed this to me and many others, several times. He probable sick of saying the same thing, they should just make it a sticky!

PS. get a sleep study! You may have apnea, like I said my dad feels so much better. He works long days and was getting so tired, and my dad never gets tired. this has helped him. I am going to get checked also, but I think mine may be more anxeity related. LIke my brain wont turn off.

april

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back