Fatigued after meals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you been checked for diabetes as it's a symptom for that.

While this could be a symptom of diabetes, there are more symptoms associated with diabetes, in addition to feeling lethargic after eating.

Let's step back for a moment.

Did you ever go to large family meals or gatherings where a dinner was served? Did you notice how many older folk, usually men, fell asleep in front of the television while others, usually the women, picked up dishes and washed pots and pans?

Often, sleepiness after meals is an artifact of aging, and is perfectly natural. We are more tired by the time we reach the last meal of the day, than we were while in our 20's.

There may be absolutely nothing wrong.

That is true. Maybe it is not related to my fibromyalgia at all. You could be right. Though I noticed it a lot more when my fibro pains began a few years ago. I was checked for diabetes and it turns out I do not have that.

While this could be a symptom of diabetes, there are more symptoms associated with diabetes, in addition to feeling lethargic after eating.

Let's step back for a moment.

Did you ever go to large family meals or gatherings where a dinner was served? Did you notice how many older folk, usually men, fell asleep in front of the television while others, usually the women, picked up dishes and washed pots and pans?

Often, sleepiness after meals is an artifact of aging, and is perfectly natural. We are more tired by the time we reach the last meal of the day, than we were while in our 20's.

There may be absolutely nothing wrong.

Your quite right Mercy
With the added discomfort of any long term illness and the energy levels are decreased yet again so it's probably quite normal for us to feel wiped out after meals. I was just pointing out to get checkedfor other things that also have that effect just as a precaution.

Your quite right Mercy
With the added discomfort of any long term illness and the energy levels are decreased yet again so it's probably quite normal for us to feel wiped out after meals. I was just pointing out to get checkedfor other things that also have that effect just as a precaution.

Thanks for your opinion. It sort of verifies my original hunch. My energy levels are so low sometimes but really low after meals. I have given thought to grazing. That is supposed to increase energy overall. I might have to re-incorporate a small dose of caffeine into my diet but only after big meals.

Hi,

I wrote that comment only based on my experience. I suffered fibromyalgia of unknown origin for 4 years. I had pain in all 18 points and the tiredness and brain fog was unbelievable. It all went away with LONG TERM antibiotic treatment.

I think its not rocket science to understand that if you feel tired after a meal is because the bacterias are feeding themselves.

I dont want to make anybody feel bad, as I was one of you, but I need to write this because I wish I had read something like this during the 4 years of hell.

There is a huge controversy about Lyme diagnosis and treatment. There is a video called "under my skin" which you can see freely in youtube that explains it all very well. As Lyme is denied by the mainstream medicine (chronic Lyme I mean), same happens with the apparently incurable diseases like fibromyalgia. I know its not easy to read this, but really hope somebody will find it helpful and do their own research.

Hi,

I wrote that comment only based on my experience. I suffered fibromyalgia of unknown origin for 4 years. I had pain in all 18 points and the tiredness and brain fog was unbelievable. It all went away with LONG TERM antibiotic treatment.

I think its not rocket science to understand that if you feel tired after a meal is because the bacterias are feeding themselves.

I dont want to make anybody feel bad, as I was one of you, but I need to write this because I wish I had read something like this during the 4 years of hell.

There is a huge controversy about Lyme diagnosis and treatment. There is a video called "under my skin" which you can see freely in youtube that explains it all very well. As Lyme is denied by the mainstream medicine (chronic Lyme I mean), same happens with the apparently incurable diseases like fibromyalgia. I know its not easy to read this, but really hope somebody will find it helpful and do their own research.

You do know that some of us were tested for Lyme disease, right? I got the Western Blot test, and the Elisa test. I went to an infectious disease doctor. I promise you that I don't have Lyme disease.

I'm glad that you found out what was going on with you, but that doesn't mean that fibro isn't real just because you happened to be misdiagnosed. As an aside, there are many things that cause people to be tired after they eat. High carbohydrate intake is one such thing. Some foods literally have chemicals in them that cause drowsiness. It can be many different things.

Last edited:
You do know that some of us were tested for Lyme disease, right? I got the Western Blot test, and the Elisa test. I went to an infectious disease doctor. I promise you that I don't have Lyme disease.

I'm glad that you found out what was going on with you, but that doesn't mean that fibro isn't real just because you happened to be misdiagnosed. As an aside, there are many things that cause people to be tired after they eat. High carbohydrate intake is one such thing. Some foods literally have chemicals in them that cause drowsiness. It can be many different things.

I also was negative in the test. Do you know how unreliable these tests really are?

Lauri81,
Thank you for sharing your opinion about Lyme disease and how it is diagnosised. I was tested for it, as well as, being given that round of antibiotic treatment as a safety measure. It did nothing for me because I do not have Lyme disease. Most of us have been examined repeatedly and had blood work as well as rounds of different medications that provided no relief. So we are diagnosised with Fibromyalgia, until such a day there is a cure or it is medically proven not to exist.

Fair enough... but I hope someone will find this helpful.
I am a doctor myself btw. I wouldnt recommend trusting most of my colleagues. They repeat like parrots what they read in the books. They are unable to think and analyze. I have seen it a thousand times.

I've tried exercising immediately after dinners this week and it is very helpful. I feel like I don't give my a body a chance to go into the post-meal hibernation mode that it usually does. I'll take a long walk after lunch and dinner. It really helps me stay awake and alert. I will struggle to do this in the winter as I live in the northeast. I'll just have to bundle up.

I used to feel that way all the time. What helped me was cutting grains (especially wheat) out of my diet and also lowering my carbohydrate content. I focus mainly on meats, eggs, low sugar dairy, low sugar high fiber veggies and low sugar fruits like berries. I find cutting all the sugar and carbs (which become sugar with the exception of the fiber as that doesn't digest) helps to keep my blood sugars stable and my energy fairly consistent. I also find reduced body pain when I am strict. In fact one of the first signs I ate something wrong will be body pain and often my feet getting hit pretty hard.

I used to feel that way all the time. What helped me was cutting grains (especially wheat) out of my diet and also lowering my carbohydrate content. I focus mainly on meats, eggs, low sugar dairy, low sugar high fiber veggies and low sugar fruits like berries. I find cutting all the sugar and carbs (which become sugar with the exception of the fiber as that doesn't digest) helps to keep my blood sugars stable and my energy fairly consistent. I also find reduced body pain when I am strict. In fact one of the first signs I ate something wrong will be body pain and often my feet getting hit pretty hard.

I have also heard the bad things about wheat. I'm reading Wheat Belly. I just started it but I enjoy it so far. It's a book that you can pick up at your local library as it is not a new release. I find it hard to give up carbs and wheat though as I am a vegan. I'll do things like burrito bowls sans the tortilla. I need to do more things like that and cut down on sandwich bread/pizza/muffins.

No, you are not the only one who feels this way. There are thousands of people who have this condition. I feel hungry all the time and the problem is after I eat, I always want to take a nap. Most of the time, I drink coffee with my food and this will help. I've been trying to avoid naps so that I can get a good nights sleep during the night. Taking naps in the middle the day doesn't help me at all. Actually, I feel more groggy when I wake up because my sleeping pattern has been affected.

Makes me wonder if a lot of our foods are the GMO kind. They say that these fruits and veggies, are worthless as far as, providing the necessary proteins and other things are bodies need to survive. If we eat but gain nothing from what we eat, then fatigue is bond to be a big issue. If you can buy organic seeds and plant a small garden in your backyard or in containers, it might improve your health. Do web searches for local healthfood stores or online places where you can buy in bulk.

Some on site are vegan or have given up eating most meats and dairy product purchased from stores. What sort of diet are you on? Do you live in the country or in a town or city?

It seems strange that we are fatigued even before you do anything to make ourselves tired. What say you?

Makes me wonder if a lot of our foods are the GMO kind. They say that these fruits and veggies, are worthless as far as, providing the necessary proteins and other things are bodies need to survive. If we eat but gain nothing from what we eat, then fatigue is bond to be a big issue. If you can buy organic seeds and plant a small garden in your backyard or in containers, it might improve your health. Do web searches for local healthfood stores or online places where you can buy in bulk.

Some on site are vegan or have given up eating most meats and dairy product purchased from stores. What sort of diet are you on? Do you live in the country or in a town or city?

It seems strange that we are fatigued even before you do anything to make ourselves tired. What say you?

I've recently switched to organic fruits and vegetables for the most part. But it is hard to find everything organic. Usually my local wegmans will have half the produce organic and half non-organic so you can't avoid the GMO's in certain cases. I like what you posted about eating but gaining nothing from the food. It's supposed to energize us if it is doing its job. It's obvious that these GMO's are hurting instead of helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back