Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
OR
I eat salads most days. A few years ago I noticed that when I included fresh fennel in my salad I had more energy for the next few hours. Fennel has come into season again and I am finding it still gives me a boost now that I have fibromyalgia. Have any of you noticed any benefits from eating fennel?

I don't ever see fennel in my local grocery stores. It's something that I've been wanting to try. I don't believe I've ever eaten it fresh, although I have used products with it, including toothpaste and tea. I love the flavor of anise and fennel, and have it on my radar as something to keep my eye out for, if I'm ever in a different area and near a more expansive grocery shop. I guess fresh would be the most beneficial, but I will have to see about buying some fennel tea, since I haven't had it in a while, and see if I notice an improvement in my energy level.

If you have a farmers market nearby you might find it there. I also grow it. Here in Oregon it grows like a weed. I have a small raised bed where I grew fennel in one corner. The fennel "jumped the fence" and now pops up in the lawn every year.

Thanks for alerting us on another use of fennel which I was not aware of. Applied topically, fennel has antispasmodic properties which provide relief for people with FM. The associated muscle pain stems from muscle fatigue as well as active nerves. Fennel consumed has the advantage of supporting the digestive system improving overall health including checking IBS. Fennel oil also supports the lymphatic system with the removal of toxins. It should be mixed with some coconut oil and applied to the areas causing trouble. It shouldn't be taken by pregnant women or those with breast/uterine cancer as it increases production of oestrogen.

@DK_engineer, thanks, I will have to look into it. We have an extended growing season here in this part of Texas, and maybe I can find some seeds or seedlings and try growing my own. I'm having an issue with some sort of pest in my garden right now, so I'll wait until that has been rectified, but at least I can look into the seeds in the meantime. It would be great to receive some benefits from my garden, and I've always loved fennel and anise, so perhaps my body has known all along what I've needed.

No problem, WarriorPrincess. The first time I cut fennel up in the spring I get a little nervous about adding too much to my salad because the fragrance is so strong. But the taste is more mild than the scent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back