Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
UK
State
Scotland
Does anyone else suffer from chronic headaches, migraines or both?

I've been experiencing chronic headaches for the last few weeks and more frequent migraines than before.

I ventured out on the bike today for the 1st time in over 3 months & was so proud of myself for managing 13 miles, okay so I was slow & took twice as long as I used to for that distance but I still did it. I got back feeling great but then within minutes I got hit with a really bad migraine Aarrgh! :-( I'm back to feeling really deflated & annoyed at not being able to do anything

I'm sorry you're having so much increase in migraines and headaches, but you are not alone. I also have had migraines for years, but they have been increasing in severity and frequency for me as well. I currently have at least one, usually 2 or 3, a week. Try talking to your doctor about getting on a medication to help prevent them. I am still in the process of finding one that works for me. I wish you luck and congratulations on the accomplishment on your bike venture.

Thanks for the reply. That's a good idea, at the moment I have Sumatriptan to take at the first onset of a migraine but I took it early on in yesterday's attack and it didn't help much, all of the other symptoms have gone this morning but I'm still left with a severe headache and my eyesight is a bit fuzzy, the last time I had one it hung around for weeks. I'll mention it to my GP but I feel like I'm never away from there just now! The last time I saw the GP, I've seen a few different ones over the last few months, and he asked my occupation then said oh that's right, you're a medical secretary, think they all know me by now lol.

Yay...13 miles on your bike! Happy for your accomplishment. Have you tried toprimate? It is the only thing I found that works for me. I do take it daily though...preventing rather then trying to stop a migrain. But I had them all day every day
So daily might not be nescisary. My moto is try them all until you find what works.

I get migraines and headaches as well. Which is strange because I'm on a high dose of Topomax/Topopirimate for bipolar. It doesn't seem to do anything for preventing my headaches or migraines though. I mentioned it to my psychiatrist and he said between the Gabapentin for my fibro and the Topomax he's giving me I should be covered for headaches. I'm thinking about going to my gp.I can't keep getting headaches 2-3 a week. That last all day.

Yes am on day two of a migraine. I get them and they last from 4 hrs to 3 days, then I have what I call a migraine hangover for a few days.
I take fioricet, and use my lidocaine patches on my shoulders and neck.
So far after 12 years this is all that I have found that helps lessen the pain, nausea and light sensitivity.
My neuro called them tension migraines, and I tend the agree because I have noticed that when my tender points on my shoulders and the back of my head are extremely painful I know a migraine is soon to follow. I also have aura with migraines.

Last edited:
I've read that there is a correlation between chronic migraine and fibro, but no one knows if they have the same root cause or one leads to the other.

I have had chronic migraines (more than 15 days per month) on and off for years. I had controlled them through diet. For me that meant cutting down on sugar and flour, but I think it is different for everyone.

About 6 months before I was diagnosed with fibro, the chronic migraines came back.

Toporimate prevents my headaches, but I cannot tolerate the side effects. My neurologist cuggested an herb - butterbur. It works about half the time. I got lucky and it worked for me.

I hope you find something that works for your migraines too.

You can feel really great and try doing something you use to before Fibromyalgia, but its not recommended because you will feel the pain in a couple hours later and have a really hard time sleeping and yes a migraine can be debilitating. However combine a migraine and fibromyalgia flare ups can keep you down for days! Try slowing it down some you maybe injuring something in side that you are unaware of as well.

I have chronic daily migraine with my fibro... Kind of a low-grade headache with 'floaties' in my vision all of the time and then flare ups into more severe headaches with weather changes several times a week. One of the things that helps me is muscle rub - I keep a variety of them and some work better for one type and some better for others. I like tiger balm (both the one that's like vaseline and the neck and shoulders) and sombra applied to my neck and shoulders. I try to stay away from the medicinal ones if at all possible, because I tend to have to take ibuprofen a lot and don't want to mix meds. A strong mint gum helps or ice against the roof of my mouth ... ice packs on my head. What works best, though, is motrin with a little bit of coffee. You have to be careful, though, if this becomes a common occurance. I went overboard and ended up withe break through headaches that were even worse. hth.

I'm hoping your feeling some better. I think I kinda of assumed you doctor has done an MRI of your brain but if not then you may want to check on this just to rule out anything else.
Also, if you have any spine problems a visit to a good chiro might give some relief.

Keep fighting!

Thanks for all your replies. Eyesup my migraine lasted a couple of days & hasn't come back completely, just the fuzzy head I've been getting a lot of lately. I feel like I can't focus properly which is what I get at the beginning of a migraine before I lose most of the sight in my left eye and once the headache kicks in, the focal symptoms go. Every day I seem to have another new health problem that crops up, I'm like a walking medical dictionary! I now have a weird red rash on the soles of both feet, not itchy or sore, just there! I know fibro can't be blamed for everything, I'm just really unlucky just now!

Take care

Lou

Yes, I know the feeling. Just when you think there is nothing left to possably go wrong...something new pops up. Your right, we can't just assume everything is from fibro. That's why I mentioned an MRI and having you spine checked. Pinched nerves in the spine/neck can cause a lot of crossover problems like headaches and vision problems (I've found a list that can be matched up from FMS to spine) But the brain should definitely be checked as we can't assume it's from fibro without rueling out other things.
lol my pcp couldn't explain 90% of my problems. So we just treated the symptoms. Since being diagnosed with FMS the gabby has helped a lot of symptoms.
Mine where actually classified as cluster headaches but you could have fooled me! Im assuming your monitoring things like allergies/weather and other possable triggers so I would insist on an MRI of the head and the neck.
Hang in there... I know it gets tiresome (and costly) dragging your self to the doctor all the time but you can't assume everything is fibro...even if it is. Better safe then sorry!
Butterbur is the only supplement that I know of for migrains, you have to take it for weeks before you'll know if it works for you. I had minimal relief from it but you might.

Before FM I might get a migraine once a year. Now, it's roughly once a week. First thing I always notice is the floaties, which I call blind spots, as I can't see through them, and they grow as the headache starts. If I take a couple Advil before the ache part begins, I win. Otherwise I crawl offf into a dark, quiet spott to ride the dragon.

So, imho migraines are definitely one of the many symptoms of FM.

I'm starting to suspect that my chronic migraines are actually fibro or arthritis in my neck. Most of my headaches originate there and then spread. I'm experimenting with keeping a steady layer of muscle rub on my neck to see if I can keep the migraine warded off (terrible grammar, sorry). So far, a week in, it's working, but we'll see if that continues.

Before FM I never got headaches...period. These past two years in particular has been brutal where I suffer a headache every day. Some migraines have landed me in the ER. Fun and games >insert eye roll<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back