Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
:|Hi..today is two weeks since my orthoscopic knee surgery for a torn medial meniscus..I am recovering very well from the surgery..but OMG..this week the fibro has ben off the charts...I am just a couch potatoe...besides the widesspread pain and fatigue, I have the fibro brain...oh for the days of mental clarity..

I was just wondering if anyone else who has fibro and either has had a surgery (of any kind) or gotten sick with the flu/bronchitis/strep/ sinusitus, etc. has noticed a flare up of your fibro symptoms as you are trying to recover from your surgery/illness.

I am 59 and my fibro started about six years ago after an episode of sciatica laid me up for 9 months. I state my age because I have had other surgeries at younger ages and have always recovered well and went right back to work (before fibro).

One thing I will say is different about me than most people on this forum is that i don't have any trouble sleeping..I only wake up for a bathroom run..the fatigue just knocks me down and I can take afternoon naps, no problem..

Mentally, this is such a challenge for me as I am a "project" oriented person, always going, very social, love to garden and generally "tinker" around...I have to keep reading positive things to stop from berating myself that I am "less than" because of the way my body feels and my subsequent "couch" potatoing.

I am so thankful for all of the people on this forum....we are here for each other to support through the bad days and cheer for the little victories of the good days.

I notice whenever I get bronchitis or any other sickness I feel really bad and don't leave the couch/bed. At least you can sleep, sleep is important. Just curious, have you been checked for Lyme disease? I was reading that the test they give for Lyme generally is very inaccurate. It's almost a 50/50 chance of being right. Lyme disease and Fibro are very similar with symptoms. There is a test that is more accurate called the "western blot test" Most doctors don't use it or know about it, but If you haven't had this test done maybe you should look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there! To be honest I think it's all about the age, I'm in my late 20's, had a surgery a couple years ago. I noticed I didn't recover as fast as I did when I was 18! Yup, had two surgeries when I was a teen and recovered super fast, but it seems that age really plays a role. My mom says age isn't only about numbers after all.

I've had 2 ankle surgeries this year; very involved and a long recovery, but the fibro wasn't affected. I have one more, (shoulder) to go-this fall and hope for the same blessing. Healing well at 59 too.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies...no, I have not been checked for lyme disease..will ask my PC doc about the test.

I had surgery in a personal area on April 9, 2014. Before then I was terrified of what the pain would be like in that area, but adding in Fibromyalgia pain, I was beside myself. WhenI had the surgery, it was as bad as I thought it'd be. Pain killers did not help. For 2 months after surgery, I was still in pain. Better now, but still have a twinge now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back