Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
DE
Hello, I was formally diagnosed about a year ago and really appreciate the insight and encouragement that I get from reading/sharing this forum. Unfortunately, Santa brought my family type A influenza for Christmas- 8 of my 11 dinner guests now have the flu. I haven't had the flu myself in 20 plus years since I diligently get the flu shot every year. Apparently, this year's flu shot was a dud. Either my memory is bad, or my fibro amplifies the symptoms because I have been beyond miserable for the past five days. The worst part is my IBS- terrible heartburn and diarrhea.

I just wanted to know if anyone else felt that the fibro worsened their flu symptoms....I know that there isn't much I can do other than stay hydrated and wait this out. I am praying that tomorrow will be a better day.

Thanks for listening!

The last time I had the flu was in 2010, and I had just arrived back in Pa, from Florida, in the spring. Fall came and winter brought in the flu bug. I was sick for over three weeks and very weak for over two months. I am allergic to the flu shots, so can not blame it on that, but I do think having fibro, weakens our immune system making us more likely to pick up any bug that comes along. I sure hope you feel better soon. :)

Last edited:
Oh yes the immune system is always low for us fibro ppl.i always think ok get the flu shot then they tell u at the dr oh this is the vaccine for last years flu it mutates every year . So are u really any better off ? I don't no . But once I'm feeling better il get the shot .my two year old was offered it but my other half don't like the idea so we are at war on that one.omg I'm blabbing on. Yes short answer long yes fibro makes flu and any illness worse xx

Hi, thanks for both of your replies. It's now day 7 and I have bronchitis as a result of the flu. My PCP gave me an antibiotic which is not helping my digestive problems. I am exhausted beyond belief but my insomnia has kicked back in with a vengeance. If I had the energy, I would love to have a good cry.

Does anyone have any tips on getting your appetite back? I cannot tolerate much food and think this may be adding to my weakness.

Maybe you could try just drinking cups of hot chicken broth and eating dry toast and tea. Often times it is milk products or the heaviness of meats or meals with spiced foods that can turn a person back from wanting to eat. Jello is good for you, as well as, good fruit juice. Sometimes Ginger Ale can be helpful in easing your stomach. I hope you feel better soon. :)

I can't remember the last time I had the flu. This years bug nailed me big time. I'm still weak and whimpy 10 days after onset. I have no idea if fibro made it worse.

I have to say that I do think that flu is worse with Fibro. I don't remember the last time when the flu got me so sick. I started feeling flu symptoms on December 22nd and today, January 4th is my 2nd day feeling ok. I have not gone to work since the 22nd.

I also think that our immune system is weaker either because of Fibro or because of the meds we take (for those who take them). I take Cymbalta in the morning and Amitryptilline at night. Cymbalta works for me but Amitryptilline was suppose to help me sleep and it doesn't. Overall, I'm never pain free but feel better. I was diagnosed last November.

Just getting over the flu too.. Could not eat for days and then nothing tasted good..just remember this too shall pass..

Well not long after my last post I got it to. Boy I don't remember ever feeling so rough. I'm now left with a cough that makes me sick, it's hurt my back and neck. And I think il need pills as I'm sure it's going on my chest to.on top of this my little girl has the tummy bug,so up and down in the night changing beds and coughing my lungs out.what a start to the new year lol.i also don't want to eat.i love my food always have but for three days now I can take it or leave it.mostly it's tea with a cookie.and now at 5.30 in the am after changing little one and getting her off to sleep I've coughed so much I hurt and made a hot tea with whisky in to stop me turning inside out,

Well, i got through it, appetite is back...definitely am still weaker...and feeling our temps bouncing up and down..

Hope you are in recovery also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back