Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
US
State
ma
Anyone tried Yoga? I did and I think I over-did it. I took a one-hour class and was immediately very sore afterward. Today (the next day) I am still sore AND very tired. At least yesterday I felt sore but energized. Is this the norm? Does my body need to adjust?

Hi, I have fibro and herniated discs. It is normal to be sore after yoga especially for us. I teach 2 classes a week. I would recommend doing 20 minutes every other day for a couple of weeks and then go back to a full hour class. Make sure you are drinking lots of water throughout your yoga days.

It isn't just yoga - any exercise wears me out quickly, and it's very easy to over do it. I personally don't do yoga anymore because my wrists have damage and can't bend all the way. The closest I'll get is regularly doing gymnastics stretches I learned from when I was a gymnast, as many of them don't put weight on my wrists. I really need exercise. I feel better when I do it regularly. My doctor even ordered 45 minutes of cardio a day! However, when I over do it, I'm over fatigued the next day. I always have to recover from exerting myself too much. I've also had mild flares from over doing a work out. It isn't just being sore - I've been somewhat athletic most of my life until recently (despite being bad at athletic things, I just loved to move,) so I'm familiar with being sore.

So I personally like to swim, as it's no-impact, works my entire body, and gets my heart rate up quickly. I won't swim for more than 10 minutes at a time, unless I'm doing very light easy laps. I always take a break between each lap.

Otherwise, I like doing Xbox Fitness. It's just workouts from popular DVD series, but the Xbox's Kinect reads your body and tells you how well you're doing and offers further instructions. It also features a point and achievement system, which shouldn't be motivational, but for some reason it works really well for me, lol. I usually stick to the 10 minute low-impact work outs. They work me hard, but they're short so I can handle them. I've toned up a lot from doing these, and I'm honestly feeling pretty strong (despite being very weak with fatigue.)

Each day I make sure I do a few chores and go for a walk if I can in addition to my work outs.

I've been doing this for 6 months. I thought I'd be getting better at working out by now. I'm really not. So I don't know if "needing to adjust" is the right way of putting it. I think your body gets used to working out, and even starts to expect it. However, I should be making progress with my cardio ability, and I'm not. I think fatigue is very limiting.

Hi, I have fibro and herniated discs. It is normal to be sore after yoga especially for us. I teach 2 classes a week. I would recommend doing 20 minutes every other day for a couple of weeks and then go back to a full hour class. Make sure you are drinking lots of water throughout your yoga days.

I am thinking that the class I did was too advanced and have heard good things about restorative yoga. Gonna give that a try this week. Problem is, all the classes around here are an hour long. Do you recommend a good site to do them from home?

The book, Yoga for Fibromyalgia, is a great place to start. Simple poses for pain, relaxation and stress reduction.

Google Yogajournal. There is information and a sequence of restorative poses. I purchased Yoga for Fibromyalgia and highly recommend it for anyone wanting to start adding yoga to their health care plan.

Yoga is awesome, but like any ocher type of physical activity that require some effort it can leave you feeling so sore. Everyone is different tho, I no longer feel sore if I start working out after such a long time without training, but I do get back pain... caused by something different! People with hernias shouldn't do yoga, but no reason for those with only fibro not to join in! Just give it time! When I started working out I felt so darn tired as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back