Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2022
Country
US
State
VA
How many ppl experience fibro flares after respiratory illnesses? This fall I had Covid (the second time since January) had all shots recommended for seniors and I expected the increase of symptoms after that
Then unfortunately I had a upper respiratory infection in Nov and just again last week and my symptoms of overall pain makeit feel like I’ve had the flu even though it’s not , didn’t have a fever . the symptoms of the flare make a relatively simple URI feel so much worse

It's not uncommon for fibromyalgia flares to follow or occur concurrent with other viral or bacterial infections. I think if the immune system is working hard to deplete an infection it takes up a lot of the body's energy, and that means less is available to deal with the effects of fibro. So, just as an exhausting period of time doing physical or mental activity, or a strong emotional experience of some kind, will make people with fibro more tired and possibly increase pain, so will having any kind of illness.

Thank you so much , this is a great explanation and makes me feel much better about how I’ve felt !

How many ppl experience fibro flares after respiratory illnesses?
Hi Jdpop - and since you've been registered for ages: welcome to participating here actively! ;-)

I agree fully with sunkacola's explanation - I'd've thought everyone would experience flares from many additional illnesses and infections.
The same way as these might also be triggers of fibro itself.
Like mine was likely triggered by swine flu, and first signs after was that each cold and flu was much worse than previously, esp. the flu I had a month before my "continual flare" started.

My initial dx came the fall of 2022, my symptoms started the spring of 2020 , I’m sure I had Covid Feb 2020 before ppl were even testing. The first day I recovered and was ready to get on with my life the country shut down . My mother had fibromyalgia as does my brother , I’ve tried all my life to exercise, eat healthy etc etc to avoid it but covid got the best of me . Unfortunately I’ve gotten covid twice this year even after getting all the shots recommended for seniors , and each time I get set back . Even getting a flu shot last month wiped me out for a week , I’m afraid of what getting the updated Covid shot would do. It’s not surprising this happened since I was diagnosed with Ménière’s disease after having mono (my father had Ménière’s )
I guess it’s hard to fight genetics

How many ppl experience fibro flares after respiratory illnesses? This fall I had Covid (the second time since January) had all shots recommended for seniors and I expected the increase of symptoms after that
Then unfortunately I had a upper respiratory infection in Nov and just again last week and my symptoms of overall pain makeit feel like I’ve had the flu even though it’s not , didn’t have a fever . the symptoms of the flare make a relatively simple URI feel so much worse
After I had what I believe was a variant of COVID (mild upper respiratory accompanied by gastrointestinal symptoms) a couple of months or so ago, my legs have taken a hit to the point of worrying that I would never walk again. I have regained mobility but there is still weakness and muscle strain. Then I ended up with another gastrointestinal type of disturbance which could have been related to eating sunflower seeds (either intolerance or contaminated product) or another stomach virus; then, a couple of weeks ago I ended up with laryngitis. Throughout this time, a swelling or lump has developed in my lower leg which makes it feel twisted and, when moved or prodded in a certain way, can also transmit nerve type pain to my foot. My voice gets hoarse and my vocal cords get strained very easily; not sure if it's nerve endings in the muscles of the vocal cords or just old age, but I used to be a good singer when I was young; I haven't been able to sing in years. So the fibromyalgia and overtaxed immune system feed off each other.

I know how you feel , each virus I’ve had seems to make my flare ups last longer, some days I feel almost like me old prefibro self then the next the reality of yeah I do have this disease .And so many viruses are out there now .

For me a tell tale sign of a flare with illness / feeling run down is sharp body wide pain. As far as I know I have not had Covid in the past, stories of long Covid sound like Fibro. Worrying to think of the impact something like that can have on us.

From personal experiences with 2 bouts of COVID it hasn’t been good , for me it seems to have long term affects of worsening fibro symptoms
And I’ve been vaccinated with all shots and boosters . Wish there was a full proof vaccine that prevents illness for Covid .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
< >