Fibro flare up & slurred speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qsj748

Reason
DX FIBRO
Country
UK
Hi, just back on the site after going thru some personal issues. I'm wondering if anyone else develops slurred speech/speech with what I can only describe as a lisp. I also seem to develop a severe sore jaw and teeth to the point I need to eat soup etc. I don't have a lisp normally nor slurred speech it only seems to happen during a flare up. I have severe anxiety anyway but I'm worried about motor neuron. I know its a huge jump especially when I have a fibro diagnosis but I can't seem to stop worrying.

Hey qsj748, have you mentioned it to your doctor? Though I don’t have a sore jaw I do get achy teeth, and put that down to the way I lay when I go to bed as I have to hold my jaw so I don’t bite my tongue, don’t know why but when I do sleep I can bite it bad .
My speech slurs too but almost like I have had too many drinks, not every word just random ones in a sentence. I just put it down to being over tired as I don’t sleep well.

Hey Harpy 😊 Thanks for the response. Yeah it is like being very drunk but the same as you it's not constant. I didn't even notice it but so many friends & family have pointed it out. I'm having a major flare up just now & the slurred speech starts first & I've realised it usually leads to the onset of a flare up. I've never had any problems with my teeth but they absolutely kill me during a flare up. I just wasn't sure if slurred speech was a symptom of fibro I've not seen it mentioned in anything I've read regarding fibro.

No I have never read about the slurred speech till your thread.
Like you my daughters picked it up, thinking I had drinks during the day, but I don’t drink often. It really worried me at first but now after a long time I just added it to my list of symptoms.

hi ladies...
I wouldn't call mine "slurred" speech necessarily, but I do sometimes have difficulty getting words out.. just cant seem to say them correctly.. like my tongue gets tied in knots, if that makes any sense?

@qsj748 .............If the slurred speech is a new symptom, best to have it checked out by a doctor. We all tend to think everything that happens is due to fibro because it has so many widely varied symptoms. But each time a new one crops up, get it checked. Just because we have fibro doesn't mean it cannot be something else. This is hard to remember sometimes.
Best of luck with it!

Hi Hun, the only time I can say I have slurred speech is after taking my gabapentin, maybe speaking to your gp maybe an idea 🤗💙🤗

I have essential tremor which causes speech problems it also causes swallowing problems and now and then causes food to enter the wind pipe. essential tremor affects any muscle that opposes gravity ie writing and typing is a problem but walking is not. I can fling food across a room when eating but funny enough I can pick up a rice grain with chop sticks without any problem.

Yes, I have a hard time getting some words out. Almost like slurred speech. I am noticing that it is occurring more often now even when I don't have a flare up. I put it down to fatigue and stress. Achy teeth too but probably due to sinus issues.

@qsj748 , All the above is true for some people with fibro, as it has many symptoms.

But, sorry to repeat myself, you need to have any new symptom checked out by a doctor, even if other people with fibro say they have that symptom. And if you have had it for some time....still see a doctor about it because it is not symptom everyone with fibromyalgia has.

No matter what, you should talk to your doctor about it.

Hi. I am new and apologies if I am speaking out of turn.
I am not sure what a flare up is yet because according to my notes my condition has only had one trajectory: worse. But on really bad days (like the ones I can do little more than sit on the sofa and moan), it feels like half of my face is numb and I slur my words. Because I can not seem to control my face, I also kind of can not get certain words out, mostly words that start with "B" or "M".
It is like I am still 'me' inside but my ability to make speaking happen is dampened.
My doc knows about it. We have not done anything about it yet.

Hi @AhZo , welcome to the forum ☕🍪 , thanks for the info, I've had similar experiences with left side of my face in the past (the numbness and also strange movements, kinda made me fear stroke or parkinsons) well when I speak about flare ups (for me) it's like the symptoms already there are really really magnified (that's how I explain mine) I hope you get the tests and checks you need to find out what's going on to get things sorted for your peace of mind 🍀✨🍀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back