mrsk0403

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2019
Country
US
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and have been hesitant to join any forums but am hoping I can get some good insight on my Fibro issues from others who also have it. This summer has been especially hard for me with the heat.. which is something I've not had this much trouble with before. I typically stay inside unless it's to go out for a short walk to get some kind of exercise and movement (and even then I try to go when it's coolest out). I was wondering what kind of Fibro symptoms others have from the summertime heat and how they best deal with it. It has been causing my Fibro to flare and the exhaustion has been intense.
I also was hoping to get some feedback from other women who have Fibro. I suffer a lot from Fibro flare ups when it comes to monthly.. menstruation, and find that I experience issues/flare-ups every month. This has been a huge problem for me and is a constant struggle. I also suffer from PMDD and find it all very difficult to deal with at times. Is there anyone else out there that finds they have similar problems? I'm hoping to get some insight from another woman on this matter..

Thanks!
Kristin

It's different for everyone, Kristin. I feel better most of the time in the summer; guess my body likes heat, which is a good thing since I live in a desert and it gets hot here. Last week it was 114 degrees where I live. If I am in cold and damp weather my body seizes up as if I were rusted and the pain increases ten fold.

It's hard to do things outside when it is over so warm. I do exercise indoors on days when it is hot, and I always walk the dogs at first light before the heat comes on. My preferred way to exercise is to go hiking, but for about three months here that is impractical. I always get cabin fever in the summer. this year it's worse because of the pandemic.

That is very true, everyone experiences their symptoms differently. I know winter can irritate my joints, but summer is proving to be very difficult for me. Thanks for your input! I think trying to do exercise outside is best done before the worst of the heat comes on for the day. Otherwise, finding something to do inside might be a wise choice. I’ve noticed some cabin fever as well from the pandemic.. and the high temperatures outside have made it worse, although I do tend to be the type of person who enjoys being at home. It’s all been a very interesting experience, that’s for sure. I’m hoping to find a way (if it’s even possible) to get relief from some of this exhaustion. That’s the hardest thing for me at this moment.

Kristin K.

Hi Kristin,
I too suffer in the summer months. I thought I was the only one... I love to sit on my porch in the evenings but the heat and humidity bring on the swelling, burning and tingling in my hands and feet. Also, my exhaustion seems to have got worse as well and I find myself watching the clock for bed time. I loved to walk but with the heat I prefer to stay inside and ride my recumbent bike.
The only thing I have found to relieve these symptoms is coming in taking a cool shower and going to bed earlier.

Carolyn R.

Hi Kristin:

I find any changes in weather from hot to cool can trigger me. Too hot and I feel sick and very tired, too cold and I ache all over. I also find that menstruation causes me all over inflammation and pain. I am on HRT now because I had extreme night sweats, hot flashes and other extreme symptoms through peri menopause. My hormonal problems are better now, but I continue to get bleeds on the HRT.

I know the conditions aren't related but my friend who has MS says the heat makes her much much worse - she swims in a pool to keep cool, and doesn't go out during the day when its hot.

I also find that heat makes me feel sick. I was previously treated for POTS and the heat was a terrible trigger and continues to be with the Fibro. My periods also cause a lot of issues, so much that I've also been diagnosed with PMDD as well. It's been very tricky to deal with.

I too experience the same issues w the summer heat. This is my second summer suffering these symptoms while I've lived in Fl for 20 years...It is so discouraging and depressing that I wish I could move to a cooler place, like Colorado. Last summer when it first started I would get extreme inflammation in random places, my hands and fingers would get extremely rigid , locking in on me and at times I would get a rash in my abdominal area. The fatigue is beyond words, I have 3 small children and by 5 pm I am drained. My nervous state speaks for the physical pain, I get very short tempered and so much anxiety from the smallest things. The monthly period has been a complete nightmare and I dread it more than I can say, as it most definitely causes my fibromyalgia to flare up. I started duloxetine in small daily dose a few months back and I have seen definite relief. It definitely doesn't hurt as much as it used to but it still does...I toss and turn every night w so much aching in my body, especially during the hot summer months. I too find relief in swimming in the pool but I don't always find the motivation to push through the discomfort . Daily stretching and execercising w small waits is another positive and I try my best to stick to it when the time allows.
I hope this helps even if to a small extent, at least knowing that you are not alone. Blessings for healing to us all

Adriana, thanks for your reply, I found it helpful to read. I don't have any children and with the amount of exhaustion I feel at times I think "how do people do it". I find that even when the temperature in our house increases without my knowledge I feel it and my body responds. I get extremely agitated and uncomfortable. If our house goes up a few degrees in the summer I notice right away. I find that with my periods it's different every month, but noticeable in a huge way every time. I also deal with PMDD which makes it all worse. It's hard to approach when the symptoms vary monthly. BUT, i'm learning stressors and what might cause certain symptoms so there's at least that!

Hi Kristin:

I find any changes in weather from hot to cool can trigger me. Too hot and I feel sick and very tired, too cold and I ache all over. I also find that menstruation causes me all over inflammation and pain. I am on HRT now because I had extreme night sweats, hot flashes and other extreme symptoms through peri menopause. My hormonal problems are better now, but I continue to get bleeds on the HRT.

I know the conditions aren't related but my friend who has MS says the heat makes her much much worse - she swims in a pool to keep cool, and doesn't go out during the day when its hot.

Thank you for your input! It's especially helpful for me to hear from other women who have symptoms related to menstruation. That has been very difficult for me since the end of last year. Swimming in general would probably be really good for me.

K.

I’m pretty obese so I hate the hot because I sweat easier. I can’t wait until it cools down and I can get out and walk outside more and lose some weight.

Hi,
For me hot weather I find unhelpful (Fibro/CFS/ME). I feel better in myself but physically pain, swelling and huge heat intolerance with horrid sweating kicks in.
Mentally it’s more difficult as obviously I want to do lots in the sunshine that I simply can’t do.
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back