Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Utah
I believe I've had fibromyalgia for about 5 years but it intensified about 2 years ago. I was finally diagosed about a year ago. I've tried Lyrica (which made me gain weight) and Cymbalta (which threw me over the edge emotionally). I've been treated for depression since I went in to a postpartum depression after my second child was born. Fibro doesn't help that at all. The question I have is, when it's unavoidable to overdo and that puts you in a full fledged flare, how is the best way to handle it? So far I've been taking Oxicodone and muddling through each day getting as much done as possible. Would the flare subside faster if I just stayed in bed for a few days?

I do what a can on good days and stay in bed to recoup from all the stuff i got done on those good days. I take the good with the bad. I really enjoy my good days and cherish them.

welcome!
the answer is no, it will make the pains worse. remember that its the muscles that are overloading the brain and the nervous system by sending thousands of messages to send pain through out your body. you must work the muscles. make them healthy. the will reduce the number of messages
that they send to the brain.
getting the healing sleep and resting is important. but only to a point. once you over rest your doing nothing but letting the muscles constantly send messages.

there are was to reduce fatigue and pain.
read my posts called a family member has fibromyalgia,how can i help.
read my post what is fibromyalgia.
and most important read and do what my post says called starting a daily log book and why it helps.

the meds are a part of getting a quality of life. take them. understand what they do. weight gain is a small thing to give to be able
to get out of the house and be with the family. if you work out,eat and dringk the right foods you will stop gaining weight.

i dont think lyrica is safe. thats just my opinion.
but there are other nerve blocks that block those message to the brain.
find the one that works. Gabapentin is another one you can take. stilluvila <<<spelled wrong is another one.
know its not a pain killer. it wont stop the pain. it only reduces the message to send pain...many many many messages will still get through.
it helps to not overload your brain.

do the right things and get pain relief.
read some of the natural alternative post too.
some get a lot of relief from them too.

come to terms with you have this and things will get better for you.

as my friend fprgetmenot says "pace yourself"

thank you for your advice. I try to do what I can but had heard of someone that just stayed in bed. I've never done that so didn't know if it helps.

I have started taking Gabapentin and it does help. My flares come when I overdo and so even the gabapentin couldn't put a dent in the residual pain for a week of activities. I like that you mentioned the using the the muscles. I did PT for a while and they gave me exercises to do. I can do a few of them at a time and they were very adamant about keeping the muscles moving. Hopefully this flare won't last long. I'll check the posts that you mentioned. Thanks again. I'm happy to be a part of a comunity that understands

To learn to pace myself. That is my ultimate goal in life. As I practice, I'm getting better. Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back