My first serious fibro fog episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinaed W

Hello everyone!
I am coming out of my first serious fibro fog episode and I am overwhelmed. I've had a couple of episodes before, with some random forgetful moments and general blah feelings.
For the last week though, I have felt, disconnected? In this place where I see and hear what's going on but I don't know how to respond. I've lost words, and thoughts. I've been dizzy, exhausted and just not there.
To be frank, I am utterly terrified. The physical pain is miserable but I can at least try to do something. This mental disconnect is something else. I'm so scared.

@Cinaed W please don’t be scared, it’s an annoying thing I think we’ve all been though (forum members) with the fog and struggling to find words (I personally find that really annoying) it’s one of the weird symptoms that sometimes comes with fibro (some get pain, fatigue or both). I get both not sure about yours, but mine comes in waves, I’ve been a bit off balance sometimes but maybe your dizziness should be checked out (you should get some more posts soon) anyway, welcome to the forum 🧡🧚🏻‍♀️🧡

Hi @Cinaed W, I know how scary it is to feel as if your losing your mind, but there's a lot of support on here from others with the same experiences so please know you are not alone. I'm going through a flare at the moment and my brain has gone to mush! I tend to be like @Auriel and it comes in waves. For my own sake and everone elses, I try to write important things down so I don't forget - even putting something in the oven - or it will end up cremated!! Keep strong x

I don't have that much fibro fog, altho at the moment it does happen regularly, that I "decide" (or not...) not to do certain things because I'm mentally not up to it, something different to not being physically or emotionally up to it or procrastinating.
But apart from knowing it's normal for fibro and that you are not alone as @Auriel and @fimi have said, of course your panicking about it is making the fog worse and everything else too. So if possible it'd be helpful to target the panic as well as the fog with mental things like mindfulness & relaxation as well as praps supps. And there we come first circle: One important way of targeting both is facing and accepting them for real: "Of course we have this, as we have fibro - who would have doubted that" ;-P. And talking with tongue in cheek or stuck out suggests the next one: Laughing about our silly selves, or something else, i.e. humour...
So, like with pain, we can do something about it, take heart!

You're right. Humor helps very much. This has been a long journey for me. I was diagnosed with MS a couple of years ago, which was devastating, and then after following my pcdr I got a different neurologist who listened and was very dedicated to stop treating symptoms and find causes. After a year of testing, he finally determined it was lupus and fibromyalgia, along with bone disease.
I've lived with chronic health issues since I was born (spina bifida, club foot, degenerative bone disease) and have made it this far.
Fear is the mind killer, I know. And most of the time I can laugh and tell it to piss off, but this last week, it just overwhelmed me. I don't want to lose me, or most importantly, I don't want to be a burden on my loved ones. You know?

I bought a day planner and have been writing everything down. I hate feeling out of sinc with everything!
Same here, but only digital works for me: For health reminders and report my "JayCS's fibro-blog" (it being public as a kind of social control), for appointments my laptop and phone calendars, for self-care (physio and supps) my laptop & phone reminders etc.
Humor helps very much. This has been a long journey for me.
lived with chronic health issues since I was born (spina bifida, club foot, degenerative bone disease)
Oh wow 😲, but sort of similar - life didn't start out at all "funny", mentally or physically, it was a challenge I mastered to make it that. And the first few months of fibro things that used to make me laugh no longer did, but I made an effort to find things. Keeping up table tennis, however short or bad, has been the best, esp. as we always play outdoors and leave most puddles, sand, (not snow tho, but sometimes ice), never using a wind safe ball - doubles the fun... 😂
just overwhelmed me. I don't want to lose me, or most importantly, I don't want to be a burden on my loved ones. You know?
Yup, getcha. Learning to self-care has allowed/made me find myself, but when fog lays itself over that (or just the feeling: f. it, nothing's helping) I do lose "it" / myself - esp. forgetting to drink, eat, supps.... My wife often then tries to "kick" me up the bum, but that only helps if I can turn that energy jolt back to myself. On the other hand I'm often the one who has to save her from despair - about her own issues as well as being too empathic. Worst case of (not) being a burden tho is for me NOT panicking: Reminds me of going in a roller coaster with my son when little or falling with him in my arms while running. In both cases I was screaming inside, but had to override it so he didn't. With my wife it's when I'm feeling bad, then she starts glooming, so I have to pull myself together and pull her up, without falling myself. Thankfully that's got less, because we've both grown more stable and relaxed in the last year, despite my jab-triggered MCAS disabling my energy considerably. She was getting exasperated about my Chinese acupuncture, as it is a tough treatment for me, so to make sure I've made a chart which proves that it actually has been helping, and how. Same as before she sometimes has thoughts that it's all getting worse and worse and I'll be needing a wheelchair or stair lift and I kept reminding her how bad things were before I found helpful supps & physio. I've even found groin exercises that allow me to get socks, shoes & jeans on quicker. (Wheelchair was only an idea I had, because someone else jab-disabled at work is also in one and managing to do quite a bit. However it's not mainly the walking that's got more strenuous, it's also activities like talking, so I keep to as much "home office" as I can - unofficial, as on sick leave). I can't comfort her much regarding her anger about what the jabs are doing to me, but it's comforting for both of us that I'll be getting an antibody-titre before considering a booster. What also helped unburden her considerably was me going to psychotherapy, even tho I didn't really "need" it, but it helped her let go of feeling "all" the responsibility; and for me it was a nice extra I just wanted to treat myself to.

That makes so much sense. I don't want to overburden my hubby with all of this. I want to maintain as much independence as possible.

This my best ever yet fibro fog forget malarkey, 2weeks ago I had to order a new gas card, couldn’t for the life of me find it ( I’d had it for 3 years!) so annoying with myself, still had a nice amount of gas in for heating, ordered new 1, a week went by (no gas card) they’d completely messed it up put me down for a smart meter fitting instead 😱 by this time my heating had gone, my fibro was in agony and cold, anyway someone came out put emergency on, 2days later got my new card, thought I’d treat myself to some ice cream cones, opened my freezer HELLO THERE LOST GAS CARD! that was just my most special yet 😅🤪🙄

My husband just said he was eating a cheese popsicle and I said "What??" And he said I found our cheese snacks in the freezer!. I looked all over for them in the refrigerator after I got groceries and I convinced myself they fell out in the grocery store parking lot. :) It's a ride for sure. All I can really do is rest if I'm having an intensely bad foggy day. It also doesn't come from the same triggers as my pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back