Fibro fog, groggy speech and jumbled words

Status
Not open for further replies.

T owen

hi I have really bad fibro fog this is just only one of my symptoms I have loads more when I get fibro fog my head gets so groggy my speech goes bad I jumble my words when I go and make a cigarette I fall asleep it can take me an hour to make one I drop it constantly also think it's time to give up I feel in slow motion I can't even walk straight when I get it I ended up in hospital last week as I fell asleep on a chair and fell off and banged my head really bad it's just such a struggle when I get it it puts me in bed

Hi T owen,

I relate so much to what you're going through. I've had periods just like that when my fibro was really flaring - felt like my brain was truly broken! Losing things, struggling with speech, forgetting everything, making mistakes - even crashed my car once! I found that the more I got my stress levels in check, worked on pacing, and sleep hygiene too, the better all of this stuff got. So, I really recommend reading Sunkacola's post (pinned to the top of the General discussion section) about managing fibro, and implementing anything that you're not doing already. I also found supplements for mitochondrial support helped with the dreaded fog. This was CoQ10 and Alpha Lipoic Acid for me, which I still take every day. It's not perfect, but I feel like way less of a train wreck these days!

I hope you feel better soon, and that your poor head's OK 🤞

Hi Jemima thank u for you're reply it's going to be so useful to me in been looking at people's posts on here and I recon this site is going to help me so much as I'm got so much to put on here as my whole body is affected so once again thank u for you're reply 😁😁😁😁

Hi Jemima thank u for you're reply it's going to be so useful to me in been looking at people's posts on here and I recon this site is going to help me so much as I'm got so much to put on here as my whole body is affected so once again thank u for you're reply 😁😁😁😁
That's great to hear - I really hope so! Ask away if you have any questions, and vent any time ☀️

@Jemima
Very interesting to read about the supplements, and wondering what might help.

@T owen
Please take care, easier said than done, it goes to show how hard Fibro can hit. Atb

Just for the context and from personal experience: It's not side effects (sfx) from meds or supps that are making this worse by any chance?!

T Owen I completely understand what your going through it ( I think we all do) makes you feel like your drunk from no alcohol at all or the worse hangover ever but on a regular basis but I have autoimmune thyroid and feel my thyroxine is too low I don’t know if your taking medication for fibro but I can say for sure that my gabapentin makes me off the charts drowsy and sleep for hours but that’s the choice I make for feeling like my legs are being stabbed with thousands of hot needles or some kind of thrombosis or not ( my legs get impacted the worse from it) I am a bit worried about you smoking though ? Not for the usually reasons but if you have a drowsy sleepy moment and you have one in your hand that will make me scared, but either way we understand 🌟⭐💫

It's difficult knowing what to do for best with Fibro fog. Pregabalin makes it worse for me but does calm down severe nerve pain in my arms. I wonder what can be done to mitigate the fog? Can only imagine what people think of us and would like to be past caring.

Hi Badger, of the supps we are trying, I've had most success for alertness etc. with theanine (relaxed and alert at the same time, so helps sleep and makes it effective and waking easier), @Jemima with ALC. Magnesium glycinate like glycine is excitatory for me, but relaxing and sleep-inducing for her - so might be helpful for alertness for some.
Considering the mitochondrial support Jemima is suggesting, NAC, NADH/+, and similar supps such as serrapeptase and GABA might be something to try, or for energy D-ribose.
That said the best thing to improve fog might be to stop using any meds or supps which are causing it, or reduce them drastically, like pain suppressers, or in my case I stopped amitriptyline, CBD oil and melatonin, but am now trying melatonin again at 5% = 1mcg of the normal medium dose of 2mg, after 2mcg was still too much, but 0.5 mcg not enough....

Last edited:
Hi Badger, of the supps we are trying, I've had most success for alertness etc. with theanine (relaxed and alert at the same time, so helps sleep and makes it effective and waking easier), @Jemima with ALC. Magnesium glycinate like glycine is excitatory for me, but relaxing and sleep-inducing for her - so might be helpful for alertness for some.
Considering the mitochondrial support Jemima is suggesting, NAC, NADH/+, and similar supps such as serrapeptase and GABA might be something to try, or for energy D-ribose.
That said the best thing to improve fog might be to stop using any meds or supps which are causing it, or reduce them drastically, like pain suppressers, or in my case I stopped amitriptyline, CBD oil and melatonin, but am now trying melatonin again at 5% = 1mcg of the normal medium dose of 2mg, after 2mcg was still too much, but 0.5 mcg not enough....
Thank you, that is a lot to think about, I shall take my time and read up on the supplements mentioned. Have been in two minds about lowering Pregabalin from 450mg to see if the fog improves and I still get relief from forearm nerve pain. Elsewhere I shall have to be more disciplined with things such as sleep hygiene. Herbal tea and self hypnosis notices seems to help. Other than medication I've only been taking vitamin D.

Hopefully you will have some more benefit in future, you've done well to make changes, I know Amitriptyline can be difficult to deal with.

Thank you, that is a lot to think about, I shall take my time and read up on the supplements mentioned. Have been in two minds about lowering Pregabalin from 450mg to see if the fog improves and I still get relief from forearm nerve pain. Elsewhere I shall have to be more disciplined with things such as sleep hygiene. Herbal tea and self hypnosis notices seems to help. Other than medication I've only been taking vitamin D.

Hopefully you will have some more benefit in future, you've done well to make changes, I know Amitriptyline can be difficult to deal with.
Hey Badger,

I'll just drop in that the ALC JayCS mentioned above is Acetyl L-carnitine. Wasn't on my original list here because I hadn't got there yet, but it definitely makes a big difference to my energy and clarity. Whatever you decide to try - supplement or on prescription - good luck! I'm sure the right tool is out there to help you strike the balance you're looking for.

Many thanks, I could definitely do with more energy and clarity

Many thanks, I could definitely do with more energy and clarity
Me too, and I've already taken a couple of steps up :rolleyes: Stubborn as hell though, so always looking at the next rung above me - I have a funny feeling that you might be of the same kind of mind!

May your sparkier self be just around the corner.

I have to admit....and I wouldn't say this to anyone but other people with FM....the fog I get is sometimes ridiculous to me, and I get so annoyed with it. Not being able to remember the name of something I have known the name of all my life.....not remembering a friend's last name (or first name!). Not remembering where I put something, which is something I never used to do. Just simply forgetting things. I hate it because it makes me feel stupid.

I have to work hard to make a joke out of it to myself, and I never want anyone else to find out about it. I go to great lengths to avoid anyone finding out. The other day I couldn't remember the name of a mineral and I manufactured a reason I had to stop and go let my dog out so as to avoid the pother person finding out. By the time I got back, I was able to steer the conversation in another direction. :LOL:

I haven't yet found the alpha lipoic acid and the coQ10 that Jemima is suggesting, and I do want to find that and start taking it. I guess I should order it online. I was trying to find it locally, but so far no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back