Fibro knots

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Debra

I have fibro knots all over my body. They really causes me a lot of pain. When I asked my doctor about them, before they spread so much , and he had to look them up on computer because he had never heard of them. Wondering if anyone else has problems with fibro knots.

Hello 1Debra, I have never heard of "fibro knots" and wonder what this is. Can you describe them for us?

Are they like pressure points in muscles?? 🤔

Hi, I have terrible knots in my neck, which are pressure points. I visit an osteopath once a fortnight, yesterday he said they were really tight and this also causes headaches, lightheadedness, toothache and discomfort in the face.

I have fibro knots all over my body. They really causes me a lot of pain. When I asked my doctor about them, before they spread so much , and he had to look them up on computer because he had never heard of them. Wondering if anyone else has problems with fibro knots.
Yes, I have them also, primarily in my neck and shoulders. I use a heating pad to loosen them up, usually in the mornings; shower massage helps a lot also. (best $35 investment I ever made)
I work on my computer 2 days a week and the knots are especially bad after that. Myofascial Release massage or Osteopathic treatments help tremendously if you can afford them. Many of us cannot. Yoga and stretching are free and work really well for me.

All the best - Sabina

fibro knots all over my body. ... had to look them up on computer because he had never heard of them
Hi Debra, whilst we probably all reckon that muscle knots may be part of fibro, I like sunkacola hadn't heard of the term fibro knots before, so I also had to "look them up on computer" 😎 , like your doc. 👨‍⚕️

But it's certainly neither a common nor a scientific expression (not on pubmed for instance).

There are only 2 sites I can find that use it: healthfully (Fibromyalgia Knots) and fightfibromyalgia (Fibro Knot or Trigger Point?).
None of the sites they reference to use it, just refer to fibro or to knots, or at most knots if you have fibro.

The closest the references by healthfully get are two pages about lactic acid in fibro, associated with knots, one by a Dr., probably of osteopathy, Wanona Wellspring Ceisels, LinkedIn and one not mentioning knots.

The healthfully article itself also says one cause of the knots "is" lactic acid, another "is" "dysfunction of the intramuscular connective tissue in fibromyalgia", both obviously not proven further, since we'd find more about it if it were.

fightfibromyalgia says "It is debatable as to whether or not fibro knots actually exist." and generally tend to put the knots down to "myofascial trigger points" as part of MPS, myofascial pain syndrome, whilst explaining the difference of (what used to be called) "tender points" to "trigger points". They explain it as unclear and rather a co-morbidity than a core or common symptom.

So what can we try for these knots?
I definitely agree with @Sabina's recommendation Myofascial release massage, osteopathy, yoga and stretching.
Ceisels also says relaxation, Pilates ball, she's also expert for myofascial release. Supps she recommends are turmeric, chamomile, vitamin C, MSM (with vit. C), a good calcium (esp. MCHC), ultrasound, interferential (whatever that may be, "both electrical'), Therapeutic Grad essential oils (esp. 'Thieves'?), aromatic herbs like basil, coriander, nutmeg and thyme, Green tea (with theanine).
fightfibromyalgia just discusses causes.
healthfully recommends drinking a lot and a fibre supplement to flush out toxins, gentle massage heat, massotherapy (?), and an enzyme called serratiopeptidase. I tried the latter as serrapeptase - in high doses pretty expensive and started miraculous for the first 1 or 2 treatments and then did nothing, despite highest qualities and varying the dosage.

As Sabina mentioned what you can do without having to pay money: Use youtube for muscle knots for various self-applied treatments. Again: No "fibro knots" mentioned anywhere....

Thank you for posting. Finally I have a name for those knots in my back and neck. I just thought it was from doing too much on my computer, house work, and stress. Now I see that I'm not the only one. My nerve blocks don't even get rid of them, or painkillers, or muscle relaxants. I have my husband try and work them out but he has to press on them hard to get the muscle to release. They still come back. Now I'm trying an osteopath and we'll see how that goes. Please post if you find something to prevent or treat them. 🙂

Please post if you find something to prevent or treat them
Ehm, have you seen all the additional suggestions above by @Sabina and on healthfully?
As ever it'll not be likely that anything that helps @1Debra will help anyone else, we just have to go thru the whole list....
Let's hope the osteopath will do a lot already tho...

Ehm, have you seen all the additional suggestions above by @Sabina and on healthfully?
As ever it'll not be likely that anything that helps @1Debra will help anyone else, we just have to go thru the whole list....
Let's hope the osteopath will do a lot already tho...

Ehm, yes in fact I read everyone's suggestions thank you for asking. This forum is for sharing ideas, treatments, and support. Something that works for one person just might work for someone else.......our why would be be here asking for advice, and sharing treatment, and coping strategies? Condescension is not helpful. Lisa ;)

The knots are round and hard and in the muscles. There is usually several in a row. They are in about every muscle now😢. These are just what I can feel.They hurt like the dickens!😞

The knots are round and hard and in the muscles. There is usually several in a row. They are in about every muscle now😢. These are just what I can feel.They hurt like the dickens!😞
I'm so sorry you're having them. :confused: I totally know how you feel....and it's awful and very limiting. Mine are only in my back, shoulders, and neck, causing debilitating pain, and they are hard to the touch so it's not all in our heads. I've had fibro for 20 years and it was under control (although I can't work), until these knots showed up in December. I didn't even link it to my fibro until I realized that I was not alone. Unfortunately our disease morphs and changes over time. My dr. gave me a list of things to try. a new mattress (my pain causes wicked insomnia), epsom salt baths, anti-inflammatory's (Advil in Canada), pain relieving creams, massage, osteopath, Bowen massage therapy. Basically keep trying until you find something, and he's doing research too. (I have a fabulous dr.). I also started to meditate and that gives me some relief as it relaxes my body and mind. I do have to do a guided meditation for about an hour in order for my muscles to release but there are free apps on-line to use. My husband can rub then hard so the muscle releases but then I'm still sore. I'm going to try everything until I find relief because it's soooo painful. I'll keep you posted. 💙

I have these as well. They make me lightheaded and neausous. I have about 8 throughout my neck shoulders and upper back. I did alot of research and found it to be starting as myofascial pain syndrome and if left untreated turns into a symptom of Fibromyalgia. I've gone to a Chiropractor Acupuncturist and high doses of Advil. And now on Meloxicam. A heating pad works the best but only while laying on it. I get to the point where it takes weeks for them to stop hurting and even then they don't completely stop contacting in my muscles. It's awful! I completely understand how you feel and I jave yet to find relief. I've tried massages as well and used a ball to press as hard as I could on the points. Might help alittle but then they just move around to another pressure point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back