Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
Massachusetts
I began suffering from migraines about four years ago.

I have been put on Topamax, Neurontin (both still on right now) and several other medications to ward them off.

I also have been given Imitrex and Relpax for when they start. I have been given Toradol at the PCP's office and been sent to the ER at least a dozen times.

I know for a fact that the buzzing of light bulbs start my migraines and was wondering if anyone in the US knew of any light bulbs that could be used in the home that do not buzz (those of us that can and do hear EVERYTHING know what I mean).

Thank you,
Melissa

Melissa,
I once heard that something about florescent light bulbs not being good for people who suffer from skin related health problems like Lupus, as the light bulbs could cause a skin reaction. If that is true then I could also see how the constant buzzing noise could produce headaches. It would be something to consider and the expense of buying new light fixtures that take bulbs that do not buzz.

Otherwise avoiding places that use such bulbs could be a hassle as lots of job related work places use them, as well as, government offices. They use them because they last for long periods of time and they are cheap on electricity. Now that they are stopping the manufacture of regular light bulbs in place of the new twisted look, maybe it will inspire more creative lights in other areas.

I am sorry you have such bad headaches. I hope you find ways to deal with them. By the way welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you for your post. I have removed all of the fluorescent light bulbs in my house, but still hear the buzzing. I do not know if it is because I have superior hearing or because I am just sensitive to noise...

It might take a while for the buzzing to stop if it was related to the light bulbs. I know sometimes if I smell something really bad the oder seems to linger for days in my nose and I can't get it to stop. There is a chance though that the buzzing is inner ear related. :)

Are you sure it's just lightbulbs that you are hearing? There are days when I hear the electronics buzzing. Sometimes, I would love to unplug the entire house. Our power used to go off a lot, in the summer, and the peacefulness of the silence was amazing.

I hope you find some relief soon. I'm typing this with a headache which is, thankfully, not a migraine.

I have migraines too and can so related. The light bulbs also are a trigger for me. In our area, you can now only buy those light bulbs that dim and then get brighter. They buzz as well. And the way the light changes and flickers, aggravates my migraines. I am sorry I do not have advice but certainly understand what you are going through.

Are you sure it's just lightbulbs that you are hearing? There are days when I hear the electronics buzzing. Sometimes, I would love to unplug the entire house. Our power used to go off a lot, in the summer, and the peacefulness of the silence was amazing.

Ah, I see that you already said what I was going to mention, so I'll just reply to your post instead of starting a repeat. :) This is absolutely true. My daughter has a huge issue with sounds... and she hears things buzzing that I'm never able to hear. Mostly it's TVs, I've noticed.

Secondly would be computers... but all kinds of electronics can cause the same problems.

I have tried yoga when I once had migraine and it really helped a lot. If you cannot fix your lightbulbs at home, I think one of the things that you can consider is joining yoga classes on a consistent basis. Eventually, you may not even be able to realize that you hear those buzzing of the lightbulbs.

To everyone: Thank You for answering! :D

It might take a while for the buzzing to stop if it was related to the light bulbs. I know sometimes if I smell something really bad the oder seems to linger for days in my nose and I can't get it to stop. There is a chance though that the buzzing is inner ear related. :)

It's very interesting that you brought up an inner ear problem because I have always been "clumsy" (walking into tables, taking corners too close, constantly walking into doorways) and for years I have said that I have inner ear problems as an excuse. I constantly wake up with pain in my left ear.

kmpisces270145 said:
I have migraines too and can so related. The light bulbs also are a trigger for me. In our area, you can now only buy those light bulbs that dim and then get brighter. They buzz as well. And the way the light changes and flickers, aggravates my migraines. I am sorry I do not have advice but certainly understand what you are going through.

We also have the light bulbs that dim, and those are the ones that we have throughout my apartment since we live in a renovated basement. :cry:

LivetoErr270127 said:
I hope you find some relief soon. I'm typing this with a headache which is, thankfully, not a migraine.

I LOVE when the power goes out, it sure is peaceful. Yes, I am sure it is the light bulbs. I can tell because when I turn down the switch the buzzing stops.

Ah, I see that you already said what I was going to mention, so I'll just reply to your post instead of starting a repeat. :) This is absolutely true. My daughter has a huge issue with sounds... and she hears things buzzing that I'm never able to hear. Mostly it's TVs, I've noticed.
Secondly would be computers... but all kinds of electronics can cause the same problems.

I would be like your daughter, I can hear things that nobody else can. People speak under their breath and I can hear it. If someone is watching television in the other room, I will be able to tell what show they are watching. To this day, my mother is still amazed by how much I can hear. I used to be amused by it, but now that everything has turned to pain, things are different. The buzz of televisions are a different pitch than the buzz of light bulbs. Computers hardly make any noise at all.

I have tried yoga when I once had migraine and it really helped a lot. If you cannot fix your lightbulbs at home, I think one of the things that you can consider is joining yoga classes on a consistent basis. Eventually, you may not even be able to realize that you hear those buzzing of the lightbulbs.

I cannot wait until I am able to do yoga again. I used to take yoga classes with my mother and we both loved it. However, my PCP advised me not to attempt yoga right now. He said all I would be able to handle is maybe swimming or light walking. :sad:

as far as I know LED don't buzz- i have changed over to led and even though my bad heads have not gone completely they do seem less frequent

Yesterday, my iPhone went haywire and decided it would not stop vibrating. I couldn't get it to stop and it buzzed until the battery died. It bothered no one else as they couldn't hear it. To me, it was as clear as day. It happened while I was driving so I couldn't escape it. I think Fibro heightens our senses when we're flaring. I'm hearing everything right now. It fridge, the freezer, the water cooler, the toilet... It's driving me insane. I don't get migraines that often anymore but I get pressure over the bridge of my nose. I can't stand it.

I've always had inner ear problems. I get swimmers ear for no good reason. I lose my balance often, as well. I, also, cannot equalize them properly so diving, flying, etc., causes a lot of pain. I can't do any of that without loading myself full of Sudafed.

Yea, I can't be around fluorescent bulbs for too long or I start getting headaches. They have them at my pt, so I just grin and bear it. I also can't sleep with my phone, computer, or any electronics near me. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I can hear and feel them buzzing.

I began suffering from migraines about four years ago.

I have been put on Topamax, Neurontin (both still on right now) and several other medications to ward them off.

I also have been given Imitrex and Relpax for when they start. I have been given Toradol at the PCP's office and been sent to the ER at least a dozen times.

I know for a fact that the buzzing of light bulbs start my migraines and was wondering if anyone in the US knew of any light bulbs that could be used in the home that do not buzz (those of us that can and do hear EVERYTHING know what I mean).

Thank you,
Melissa

I know EXACTLY what you mean and started getting bad migraines about the same time. I don't know what the trigger was for me, but they would come on all of a sudden and I would be in nasty form for the rest of the day. Sometimes they went away and I was told they were sinus headaches.

Being able to hear a lot that most other people it seems is a pain all in itself without having a nasty headache on top.

Wow, it's like listening to my Dad's story! He has FM, and suffers from bad migraines as well, which are supposedly triggered by flashing light bulbs. It was just the other day at my Nan's when he had to turn of a lamp behind him because of the flashing. He is not on any medication for his migraines however.

Another thing that sparked off some migraines was a racing game I used to play on my Xbox. The fast lights and sudden changes in light sparked off migraines and he was unable to watch or play the game as of this. He also had to wear sunglasses when watching my school production, because of all of the flashing lights and intense reflections.

It is a rare case to get the light bulbs without buzzing or humming noise. Instead we can try to reduce the pain of the migraine to the maximum level .Medicines like Topamax, Neurontin can heal your pain for just 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Instead of using medicines like above you can use Cold Therapy Gel Mask to overcome the pain from migraine. Cold Therapy may also reduce discomfort associated with Migraines. You can use the Gel Mask easily which is available in Zip Lock bag for safe storage in Refrigerator. In US Cold Therapy mask gel is available in many stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back