Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2002
Country
US
State
NJ
Had total right knee replacement 3 yrs ago. Since then have had quad pain and exercises have helped. Now the patella feels more stiff than in pain. Can this be from my fibro?

And temp outside is warm one day, cold the next!

Hi @jschneider444. It could be from fibro, but I think it is more likely that the knee pain is another problem that has arisen similar to the one that led you to a replacement, since you clearly had a problem with your knee. My first suggestion is that you see your knee doctor and see what they say. there may be a simple answer for this or you may need expert treatment on your knee. If exercise is helping your quads, don't worry about that. Just get the kknee checked out.

agreed... talk to your knee doc and see what they have to say.. maybe some targeted physical therapy might help..

and yeah, the crazy temps... was 65F here on Thursday with rain, and barely made it to the freezing point for a high on Friday - from one extreme to the other.

I don't tolerate pt well due to my fibro. Knee surgeon told me to exercise on my own for right quad pain. Left knee had different pain and a number of xrays were taken. Today I have started to feel relief from left knee pain from the injection. If pain continues I'll see one of the knee Drs in the practice.

Forgot to say pain is now in my left leg duh. Quad pain was in right TKR!

Interesting that you brought this up. IN 2014, I had a total knee replacement of my right knee. The recovery and PT was HORRIBLE! I bruised everywhere, my knee and leg ached for months and required icing, and when all was said and done, I still had significant pain coming from the patella. Six years later, I still do. I cannot go up stairs without limping. In the meantime, my lumbar spine and discs also suffered terribly from genetic changes, resulting in a 3-level fusion, over 10 lumbar shots and injections, and crippling muscle pain in my back that keeps me bent over at a 20o angle.

Now, my left knee is in need of a replacement. X-rays show it bone-on-bone. My ortho surgeon insists I get it replaced, BUT ... not only do both knees hurt, but my quads and my hips in both legs ache and ache and ache. I can barely walk without a walker. My question to you all is ... I am not sure the pain in the quads and hips is solely due to my arthritic knees. They could be but they could also be due to my degenerated spine. How could I or any of my doctors know if after replacing my left knee and going through months of intense pain and therapy, I will not still have terrible aches in my quads and hips? I need to judge this somehow before I make an attempt to undergo a horribly painful knee replacement again.

Any advice is appreciated.

Do you live anywhere near NYC? 12 years ago I had spinal fusion L4-L5 at Hospital for Special Surgery. I recuperated without any hurdles. It's the #1 hospital in the US for orthopedics. I honestly wish I had my Right TKR done there! It's the best hospital for any orthopedic surgery.

@fsgregs1 - my question to you is - how active are you?

I understand that you are in a lot of pain, and that makes it difficult to be active.. but at the same time, inactivity can actually make pain worse.
Muscles begin to atrophy when they are not used and that in turn makes them hurt more when you do use them... ask me how I know this...

I dont have major knee problems - a little arthritis, but not bad... my hip joints have almost no arthritis, but the muscles ache terribly.
I do have lumbar and SI joint issues, and have undergone a couple of treatments for that, but most of my muscle pain in that area comes from lack of use - I dont get nearly enough exercise, and I know it... and being bent forward is going to make it worse.. that is not a natural position for the body to be in all the time.

So no, I dont think all of your muscle pain is coming from the bad knee.. but then again.. I am no doctor, just someone that is trying to cope with similar problems.

Forgot to say pain is now in my left leg duh. Quad pain was in right TKR!
I was about to say the patella is removed during knee replacement surgery often and the back cleaned up, but if this is the opposite knee, it is not due to the replacement. It could simply have to do with arthritis. That causes stiffness alone. If it's bothering you a lot, start with the orthopedist. FYI, wish me luck: I just had my right knee replacement about 14 days or so ago and am in the thick of it. I get the staples taken out in a couple of days.

I just had my right knee replacement about 14 days or so ago and am in the thick of it. I get the staples taken out in a couple of days.
I hope things go well for you with your rehab!

Try to walk more. Get the blood flowing in the area. If you have a tracking problem see a physio, but make sure they take it easy and don't push you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back