Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2019
Country
US
State
IA
My fibromyalgia has just gotten worse over the last few years. Keep wondering what my life will be like in five years. Very tired of pain.

sjbrown

Distinguished member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
US
State
ME
My fibromyalgia has just gotten worse over the last few years. Keep wondering what my life will be like in five years. Very tired of pain.
I am too new to this to give any help or suggestion!! I will say I cannot imagine dealing with this the way it has been 5 years from now. I hope i find something that helps.

emma

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
UK
yes it is horrible, but you will learn to cope, also remember its not supposed to damage your joints, so that's one positive x

sunkacola

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
It will not always necessarily get steadily worse. Mine did for a while. But then I decided to take charge of my own health care and get as active as I could, eat more often (I always ate very healthy foods, but just not very much) so as to be sure to get enough protein, and do my own experimentation with other things that could help. I also adopted as best I could a solidly positive attitude about things, and did my best to remove unnecessary stress from my life.

Now, it has gotten better. It still gets the best of me at times and I cannot do what I had planned for a day or more than a day. I take that in a positive way, also. A day to snuggle with the animals, read a good book, watch a movie.

5 years ago I was in constant pain and couldn't do much. Now I seem to have it much better under control; I have daily pain but it is much less, and I truly believe that the right medication, daily exercise in some form, being active, and having a positive attitude has made all the difference.

Wilkbon

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2007
Country
US
State
CA
m
mine

Wilkbon

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2007
Country
US
State
CA
mine has improved over the years
. began with therapeutic water class. hot water. after years have tried about everything and have to stay out of cold. still get attacks still learning what works for me. TENS machine helps alot, ladicane patches, still get as much exercise as I can, with out over doing, when starting to feel some, pacing, sleeping and heated throw best. Just was given a diet that lady said cured her. wonder if she really had it.

sunkacola

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
TENS unit has helped me too when the meds are not doing it. Especially useful for leg pain. Heating pads are also good. Remember it won't only just get worse.

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2003
Country
US
What's good for one person may not be especially good for another. I find I get the flare-ups after a stressful situation ranging from a thoughtless comment to overwork, etc. The weather does effect some people, some find it easier to bare in the summer when it is warm, others find it better in the winter for me there is no change in the symptoms. With rest one can get back to a somewhat normal life, I think but I truly can not say that for sure. I've done some studies but it's so inconclusive whether it is the stress-free living or weather, etc. I just spoke with someone and they told me if you feel like resting, rest. Two things helped me when I first got fibromyalgia after a car accident that I sustained in 2002. The sun booth (but then I have bone spurs in my neck) and Vitamin D is excellent for that and a breathing exercise. Sit up straight breath in, breath out hold it to the count of eight, then breath out. Do it again if it helps. Neither of these are a cure but it helped me.

sjbrown

Distinguished member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
US
State
ME
What's good for one person may not be especially good for another. I find I get the flare-ups after a stressful situation ranging from a thoughtless comment to overwork, etc. The weather does effect some people, some find it easier to bare in the summer when it is warm, others find it better in the winter for me there is no change in the symptoms. With rest one can get back to a somewhat normal life, I think but I truly can not say that for sure. I've done some studies but it's so inconclusive whether it is the stress-free living or weather, etc. I just spoke with someone and they told me if you feel like resting, rest. Two things helped me when I first got fibromyalgia after a car accident that I sustained in 2002. The sun booth (but then I have bone spurs in my neck) and Vitamin D is excellent for that and a breathing exercise. Sit up straight breath in, breath out hold it to the count of eight, then breath out. Do it again if it helps. Neither of these are a cure but it helped me.
I too have tried breathing exercises! I found it helped also. Not sure if its because its calming or what but it does help and I should do it more often like even when I am feeling "ok". Its all about trial and error for each of us. But having forums like this is most definitely helpful as well!! :)