Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
CA
State
ON
Hello. I'm new to this forum. I was diagnosed with fibre since 2008. Just had a baby last month and have been in extreme pain since delivery. Not sure if this is a flare or reaction from epidural. I've been having pain radiating down both legs from butt to ankles. Sometimes it keeps me from sleeping.

My delivery wasn't the greatest. LO was 10 days post-term and was 9lbs.
Dr sending me to neurologist. Wondering if any other moms experienced pain after delivery. So hard taking care of a newborn in contant pain. Meds aren't helping.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. It is a chance that your pain is not from the fibro, but caused by your Sciatic nerve. Please do a web search for more info. Usually when pain raditated from butt and down the legs it means something is pressing on this nerve. It can be very painful. Glad to hear your seeing a neurologist, as they treat spinal conditions. Please let us know how you make out.

In the meantime try reading posts around the forum for ideas on managing your fibro. Please ask questions and post on other members posts and share your experiences and knowledge with fibro.

Glad you found us. :)

Hi Veronica, I have hear similar stories to yours... if I'm not mistaken a member of this forum had a very adverse reaction to the epidural, sadly haven't seen her around her for a while. I believe the two of you would have a lot to talk about, but yeah, this sort of things do happen. So sorry to hear you are in a lot pain!

Hi Veronica...so sorry for your pain but happy for your beautiful healthy 9 pound baby! Okay, my thoughts on your pain...usually sciatica runs down just one leg and is VERY painful (been there got the tee shirt myself)....if your fibro presented in this way with pain down both legs before your pregnancy than I would assume it is very severely aggravated by the pregnancy and birth...every time I strain a muscle of my body (by any means, housework, yard work, excercise) the fibro pain is severe presenting itself in my case as muscle fatigue and ache (not like nerve pain from sciatica).....Bless your hurting heart! A newborn and fibro...that's just over the top! I can't say anything about the epidural as I haven't had children of my own but again with fibro any jolt to your body is magnified with fibro...I certainly hope you can find something to help with your discomfort before you lose your mind...I would definitely contact your doctor(s) and get some help...good luck to you!

I had a baby in 2010, 2012 and 2013. With the first 2, the pain after birth was unbearable. I didn't want an epidural but it was forced on me from the doctors. For the first delivery, my son was having erratic heart problems, so they induced me. The second delivery, I was having blood pressure problems so they forced me in to getting an epidural again. Third one, I refused the epidural, but I was high risk so they weren't taking chances. Ugh. For the first 2 deliveries, after birth, I was having horrible pain. From my butt up my spine and down in to my legs. The doctor said it was a side effect from the epidural, they opened a hole in my spine. It lasted for months. After the second time, It was a lot worse. Could not do anything without pain. The doctors said it was my sciatic nerve and to sleep on my side, it didn't help, but eventually 6 months or so later, it went away. I still had pain in cold weather. After the third time, miraculously the pain did not return. I am actually okay this time, no pain. I understand what you are feeling, I hope it resolves soon. I used to take scalding hot showers and it did help with the pain I was feeling.

Thanks everyone for responding. First time on a forum and I'm glad I found this board.

The pain is very similar to sipciatic pain. Weird that it happens on both legs at he same time. Along with this pain is inner right hip (in the groin) which stops me from walking. I can walk but with a bad limp. I'm taking Percocet which is relieving some of the pain until I see the neurologist. Sleeping is sometimes impossible. My pelvic bone was fractured but drs are saying it's an old fracture that hasn't healed properly. I'm confused. Percocet isn't taking away any upper back pain which is muscle related. It's a deep burning pain. Really hard holding, changing, feeding or lifting my son. Had to call my husband to help me as I felt as if I was going to drop my son.

I do have widespread pain but my concern are my legs. If I stop the Meds the pain comes back. I hope neurologist can shed some light and provide some relief. Really sucks starting a new chapter with my baby feeling completely horrible. A month has gone by so fast and I haven't been able to completely enjoy every moment.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

I have had 5 babies and all with epidurals, 4 of those experiences were after my fibro started. I never had the sciatica/epidural issue you are describing. Pregnancy is hard on our already hurting bodies. And childbirth is very traumatic and usually causes anyone with autoimmune issues to go into a flare, can take up to 6 weeks to happen. Please please please do what you have to so you can rest or your fibro will soon be the main issue. Enjoy your beautiful baby. One day or one hour at a time. :)

Hopefully it will go away, I had the same issue after delivery and an epidural. I hate epidurals but sometimes they are a necessary evil. Pregnancy really does cause a lot of wear and tear on the body. My daughter was 7 pounds. When you have fibromyalgia this kind of pain is not uncommon. Someone mentioned hot baths and those do help. Hopefully it will just disappear on its own when your body starts healing from delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back