Recordit

Diagnosis
06/2010
Country
US
State
WV
Hello,

I'm new to this board. I thought it would be good to share my story. My wife and I were married in 1989. We've had a beautiful life together raising our daughter. Then there was a day back in December 2009 that my wife began to experience pain. She visited the doctor in June 2010 and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Neither of us knew anything about it at that time, (along with many doctors). Since December 2009 I've watched my beautiful, vivacious, high-spirited wife's life simply crumble. She had a full time job as a legal secretary working for some high profile attorneys. She is now unemployed due to the fact that she can no longer handle any job due to her condition, (and she was denied disability twice which is now in appeal). I can certainly say that she is disabled. I've seen it everyday now for over 3 years. She has also developed many conditions that are associated with FB. Restless Leg Syndrome (diagnosed), Rheumatoid Arthritis (diagnosed), and lately she has been suffering with symptoms that resemble Tinnitus. I've read that FB may be based on a pathology involving blood vessels, (which may be linked to Tinnitus). She has the Fibro Fog which I can totally understand. If you have constant pain your attention will be focused on the pain and you may miss certain things that's said. And of course there's Insomnia. She has trouble sleeping every single night. She is in bed off and on throughout the day. I mainly see her in a robe, night gown, or pajamas. She is prescribed many medications. Mirapex, Flexeril, and Hydrocodone. I've read quite a bit on FB. Then there's the Dopamine. People with FB generally have low levels of Dopamine. Parkinson's Disease patients have low Dopamine. One of the meds she is prescribed treats Parkinson's Disease, (Mirapex). She has also taken Cymbalta and Lyrica. We can only hope for a cure, for doctors to isolate the condition so my wife can have the life she had before this.

Thanks Record it for telling the story of your wife. It is an all too familiar story. I can certainly relate to her.
I am new to this site and I have found it very helpful and encouraging. Im not happy anyone has this condition, but I am glad I am not alone.
Hope to see you and your wife around on the site.

You, good sir, give us younger women with fibromyalgia hope...... Hope that there are real men out there somewhere that are man enough to stand by their woman and not run scared like a little boy.

Your story is very sad, yet it made me feel so hopeful. I can only hope that you two continue to work together on her health issues and that she has pain free days that you two can cherish together.

I am only 25, and had my boyfriend of almost 3 years, whom I planned on marrying, give up and kick me to the curb.

Please let your very lucky, special, blessed wife know that in your search to help and understand her condition better, you also brightened other fibromyalgia sufferers day by showing your love, compassion, loyalty, and devotion for her.

I hope you both have very many, many, many, happy years ahead of you!
And please, let her know to keep her chin up! You both are wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing your story and giving me hope that maybe, just maybe, one day I, and other young fibro gal's, will be fortunate enough to have a catch like yourself!

Please continue to research as much as you can, keep posting here and asking questions, maybe have her take a look around on here if she hasn't yet, this may be a great place for her to vent or find advice.

Good luck to you both, and again, thank you so much, this really just made my day, I am literally crying writing this, because you truly gave me hope. I can't say it enough, thank you!
:) :) :) :) :)

Thanks for being a real man and sticking with your wife. I hope you and she both can find support and encouragement here on the forum. Knowing you're not alone, knowing it's not all in your head, knowing that there are other people who understand can be such comfort.

Katie I'm so glad that my story gave you hope. I think younger men may have trouble understanding FM. At first I had some trouble understanding it, I'll admit. But I educated myself by reading everything I could find on-line and now I have compassion for anyone that has FM. What a debilitating illness. I think it has always been in people's nature to shy away from anything that could be possibly linked to the brain. "They found nothing on your x-ray, it must all be in your head". If someone has a nervous breakdown and let's say misses work for a week generally won't get a get well card. But if you break your leg skiing, you'll get cards, flowers and balloons!

Recordit,
Thank you so much for sharing the story of your wife and also how you feel about her and this illness of fibro, plus the other health problems she is facing. And also thank you for sticking by her, it shows how much you love her. Being a good solid husband to a wife that has any illness is a very special and wonderful thing. Keep up the good work!

I understand where your wife is in terms of the depression from losing a very good job to fibro. I hope she has sought some type of counselling for her depression. It is really worth doing as it gives you another way of looking at things plus the counselers can provide advice and coping skills, plus be someone who can listen without being judgemental and can help turn the depression around so that life becomes more enjoyable again.

Another idea is to look for a fiber or feather filled, or foam mattress pad to lay on top of your regular mattress. These pads which are 3-4 inches thick can provide a extra cushion that pads sore muscles and also keep the body warm. They fit all bed sizes and are reasonably priced. I like the cotton fiber pads, but any of them will do. I sleep much better using one as compared to sleeping flat on a regular mattress.

Please continue to ask questions and join in on other posts. We are very supportive and caring. Glad you found us. :)

Thank you for the suggestions. Will have a pillow top mattress currently. Additional padding certainly can't hurt. Yes, I do love my wife. We are best friends. My wife was there for both my Mom and Dad, (prior to FM), as each developed many health problems as they grew older. My parents loved her dearly and likewise the love was returned from her. She cooked, cleaned, did laundry, grocery shopped, and took them to the doctor. She was there for them to the very end.

Now it's her turn to be taken care of. That's how I look at it.

Way to step up and be a man. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back