Forum Supporter
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2019
Country
PT
Hi all,

I'm new here, having been diagnosed last year. My symptoms have been ramping up for years but, as is so often the case, it took a while for the puzzle pieces to fall together! I had a spinal injury that overshadowed what I believe FM was causing, although my symptoms fully manifested last year, with really acute flares as opposed to niggling rumbles for the first time.

My questions is with regard to comorbid psychological disorders. I know that depression and anxiety are heavily associated with FM, but am curious to hear if any of you have experience with others. I have had a long mental health battle, kicking off in puberty, but have never been properly diagnosed. The coping mechanisms I'd developed over the years are now getting lost under all the FM stress, so I'm seeking assessment from a psychologist for the first time! My research revealed studies that indicate around 1/5 of FM sufferers have comorbid Bipolar, and just under 1/3 have comorbid Borderline Personality Disorder. The studies are relatively limited in scale, so only indicative, but gave me an "aha" moment. My personal struggles mirror symptoms of both Bipolar II and Borderline, with some other fun stuff kicking around too. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm new here, having been diagnosed last year. My symptoms have been ramping up for years but, as is so often the case, it took a while for the puzzle pieces to fall together! I had a spinal injury that overshadowed what I believe FM was causing, although my symptoms fully manifested last year, with really acute flares as opposed to niggling rumbles for the first time.

My questions is with regard to comorbid psychological disorders. I know that depression and anxiety are heavily associated with FM, but am curious to hear if any of you have experience with others. I have had a long mental health battle, kicking off in puberty, but have never been properly diagnosed. The coping mechanisms I'd developed over the years are now getting lost under all the FM stress, so I'm seeking assessment from a psychologist for the first time! My research revealed studies that indicate around 1/5 of FM sufferers have comorbid Bipolar, and just under 1/3 have comorbid Borderline Personality Disorder. The studies are relatively limited in scale, so only indicative, but gave me an "aha" moment. My personal struggles mirror symptoms of both Bipolar II and Borderline, with some other fun stuff kicking around too. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

In my opinion if you feel you're struggling mentally you should definitely seek help/options for treatment. I struggle with depression and anxiety, both of which came on long before the FM did. They definitely work against each other and make the FM feel more intense at times. I've struggled with my mental health since high school. My mother has FM as well and also suffers from a lot of mental health issues. She struggles with Depression/Anxiety and has also been told she has borderline personality disorder.. that diagnosis may not be accurate for her exactly, because it was diagnosed by doctors who really had no idea what her history was like... but no matter what the issue may be, it's worth getting checked out by a Dr. I've found that with medication my depression/anxiety are really well managed with the FM. It was a real struggle at first and I've been misdiagnosed with Bipolar myself in the past, but over time and visits with my psychiatrist I'm on a good medication plan. Therapy sessions are always a good thing to check out as well. I've done therapy in the past and found it to get a great help. I hope you found this helpful! Mental Health is such a real issue, especially for those with FM.

In my opinion if you feel you're struggling mentally you should definitely seek help/options for treatment. I struggle with depression and anxiety, both of which came on long before the FM did. They definitely work against each other and make the FM feel more intense at times. I've struggled with my mental health since high school. My mother has FM as well and also suffers from a lot of mental health issues. She struggles with Depression/Anxiety and has also been told she has borderline personality disorder.. that diagnosis may not be accurate for her exactly, because it was diagnosed by doctors who really had no idea what her history was like... but no matter what the issue may be, it's worth getting checked out by a Dr. I've found that with medication my depression/anxiety are really well managed with the FM. It was a real struggle at first and I've been misdiagnosed with Bipolar myself in the past, but over time and visits with my psychiatrist I'm on a good medication plan. Therapy sessions are always a good thing to check out as well. I've done therapy in the past and found it to get a great help. I hope you found this helpful! Mental Health is such a real issue, especially for those with FM.

Thank you - yes, I'm about to start with a psychologist, and am hoping to bring a little clarity to what I'm feeling. I appreciate your insights, especially regarding misdiagnosis, alongside pinpointing underlying issues!

Thank you - yes, I'm about to start with a psychologist, and am hoping to bring a little clarity to what I'm feeling. I appreciate your insights, especially regarding misdiagnosis, alongside pinpointing underlying issues!
Of course! I hope you find relief in treatment and self care. I’ve also learned over time that coping mechanisms are Soooooo important with mental health. Finding good hobbies and exercise are always helpful too! 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back