DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2006
Country
US
State
KY
Good morning everyone!
I am new to the forum and so happy that I have found this website. Everything I have read has been so encouraging. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, however, it is nice to know other people are going through the same thing and can offer insight. I have dealt with Fibro for many years. I also deal with IBS. My pain mainly from the fibro is rib cage pain, especially around my bottom ribs. One day it can be on one side and then the next the other. I notice it when I wake up or even when I just touch my bottom ribs. They are so sore to touch. My GP has told me that it is a combo of fibro/chondritis. All I know is that it is so aggravating. I have horrible posture. I think that aids in the pain I am feeling. Does anyone else suffer from pain like this? Anything that can make it better. I am a high school teacher, and with this pandemic, teaching is very very stressful. I think that is what brought on this flair. I would like to hear from anyone that has the same problems and maybe how you deal with them. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I'm glad to be here.

Welcome!! I too deal with that horrid rib pain. No idea what brings it on or how to relieve it. Glad you found this forum too!! It has helped me alot, mostly in not feeling alone or crazy!! Alot of my symptoms are odd even too me but seeing how so many others are experiencing the same thing helps the emotional well being :)

Thank you so much for reaching out. It makes me feel not so alone with dealing with this pain. I have it when I wake up quite a bit, but when I move around it seems to get better. Crazy! I know. Oh well, thank you so much and have a wonderful day! :)

I have this same type of pain and for my is is fascial issues and trigger points. I have had them released in the past by a myofsacial release practitioner. Right now I am working with a physical therapist and she has also been releasing these points in order for me to breathe better. I would definitely recommend a PT who does dryneedling/IMS because not only can they release the trigger points but they also will give you exercises to improve you core. For example I am doing breathing exercises that should address posture issues in addition to the trigger points. The PT explains to me that once my posture is better and I am moving in a better and healthier way then I won't be developing these painful trigger points. I pray that's true and keep doing my exercises hoping to overcome these issues!

By the way I had no idea what these areas were until they started releasing them, I went in for something different altogether and didn't even mention this pain (there is too much to mention it all lol) but they realized I had these trigger points when practicing the breathing exercises they gave me wasn't working right and they were able to manually release several points along my ribs. Not only does it feel quite a bit better I can breather better now too! And my posture is improving, too!

Hmm... I'd agree. My clavicula was giving me the most pain up to last month. Osteopathy and then "acupoint-massage" got rid of it almost completely. I'd broken it 14 years ago, the fibro flared it up again... Held me awake or woke me up. If you notice it when you wake up, has it praps to do with your mattress? I had to change mine, too hard, need it that way, but now with a soft topper and a hard cushion where I need it hard (under kyphosis). That helped a lot of things, praps clavicula and ribs too...

Thats awesome, Affinity, I appreciate the advice! I will have to check into this!!

I have this - diagnosed with costochondritis a few years ago. I try to avoid activities that require use of my arms a lot, use cold packs when it flares up, take OTC meds when it's bad. My then-doctor gave me anti-inflammatories sometimes, which also really help. I occasionally have massage, where they do myofascial release, and that is also helpful.

Hi - I used to get a lot of problems with my ribs which sounds similar to me. In my particular case, my physical therapist used to work on my intercostal muscles. That helped a lot - at least temporarily. I hope this helps some.

Hi,
I have the same sternum and rib issues as your describing. It’s awful, an considerable extra issue to deal with.
Initially my sternum was the worst, extremely painful and even worse on movement. Then my ribs, front back and lower front. Ive only has respite from this for a month or so between episodes lasting many months. Occasional breathlessness with it too.
I had one Dr say bad case of costochondritis, another said it’s part of Fibromyalgia.both experienced Consultants. Tbh I take from that they don’t really know for sure.
I e experience this for a couple of years now, tho diagnosed Fibromyalgia/CFS/ME for many years more.
Ive had bone scans, blood tests etc..nothing shows.
I do have nasty neck spine problems. Recent mri showed the issues plus arthritis. This could be to blame?
However, I also have a thyroid abnormality. For years my folate shows low (anaemia). GP not treated ongoingly (terrible GP)..I recently found out this can cause these sorts of issues and more.
Personally I wonder if being physically restricted is partly to blame, like a seizing up problem.
One thing for sure..keep warm, it’s helps.

I have found Alexander Technique to be really helpful for posture (and pain resulting from posture problems). Not a quick fix, you undertake a number of sessions to achieve benefits but I found them really worthwhile.

I had one Dr say bad case of costochondritis, another said it’s part of Fibromyalgia.both experienced Consultants. Tbh I take from that they don’t really know for sure.

Costochondritis often goes along with fibro. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine and I was diagnosed with costo 8 years ago or so, but I've had these symptoms all my life.

Hi, I have just joined the forum, and what you describe is very similar to what I have been recently experiencing, except that the feeling (for me, sensation of stiffness rather than pain) does not move around and it always on the right side of the lower rib cage. I had thought I had just strained some muscles but it has been going on for some time now, so I think it might be FM related, to do with tissue problems maybe. There is a programme called the Chrysalis Effect, which I have just undertaken (you can find it online easily enough by googling it) and I found it extremely helpful in finding lifestyle solutions, and knowing what to watch out for that may trigger flare ups. During this pandemic, while everyone's anxiety is elevated, we need to have self-care even higher on our lists...

Interesting to hear about the Chrysalis Effect programme, thanks for mentioning it. Reading it up it I think it boasts around quite a bit, implying total recovery is possible for everyone, and then costing 27£ after a 30-day "free trial" to be able to mentor you personally, they say. The book(let) they send you is an easy read, because it doesn't say anything much relevant, apart from that they try to be holistic. Reminds me of something similar here by I think a doc, where I did the free trial and realized quickly/more and more they haven't really much to offer me (they asked for feedback and agreed that I'm not the kind of person who would benefit).
So I think sunkacola's advice post at the top of the forum and talking & listening to people here is likely more effective, unless you are someone that needs to be made dedicated by that sort of programme and find it difficult to change your behaviour without a sort of mentoring, altho I'd be interested if they really do mentor you closely and personally?

Hi JayCS, I did have an actual CE practitioner involved too, as well as the online information. I think when I first received the diagnosis of FM, I was seeing FM and my lifestyle/work as being 2 distinct things... Prior to CE I had just read information leaflets/books on FM that were very pharmaceutical and chemistry friendly! and I felt I needed something more than just thinking about supplements or pills from doctors. At one end the CE programme is very 'common sensical' and a lot can be worked out/thought about yourself, but for me I was going through a particularly stressful time (partner in coma for a month after an accident) and CE particularly helped me realise how my lifestyle and stress affects my FM in many more ways than I had previously thought, so for me it really helped. I have gone from near non-mobility (extreme pain in feet and legs causing problems in walking), with intense flare-ups every few months... to pretty much being ok except for morning stiffness and discomfort sensations in certain areas, but no actual intense pain. I think the CE programme helped me get there... but yes, it is £27 a month which is a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back