Not open for further replies.

Uhura

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
I see it most of the time listed as purple. But not always. Does fibromyalgia have its own color or is it the same as chronic pain? I have epilepsy too. Does one pin represent both? One color represent both? Fibromyalgia awareness month is May, isn't it?

The second quesstion: What do all of you wear for fibromyalgia awareness and if you do anything, what do you do?

Hi Uhura,

Great thought and great questions.

Yes, you're right - fibromyalgia does fall under the purple ribbon, with quite a few other conditions. It's also symbolised by a purple butterfly. I have been thinking quite a bit lately about getting a pin, so I can add it to my arsenal if I have to go somewhere with a lot of people who don't know me well when I'm not feeling good. I found that there is the most amazing selection of pins, bracelets, and necklaces available on Esty (masculine and feminine styles) with designs saying things like "fibro fighter", "spoonie", "fibromyalgia warrior", "brain fog", "invisible illness club", and so on. If it's something you feel like you might benefit from wearing sometimes, there's an amazing number of options.

Fibromyalgia awareness day is May 12th, while the whole month is considered fibro awareness month. I found some funky fibro awareness t-shirts online too, so that could be something to think about if you want to be an ambassador for yourself and us all! I was thinking that I'd quite like to write a series of articles about fibromyalgia for this coming year - it was in my head last year too, but I just had too much going on. Need to carve out some time!

Is there a subtle difference between fibromyalgia awareness ribbons and epilepsy awareness ribbons or are they identical?

As far as I know they're identical, and other conditions share the colour too.

What do all of you wear for fibromyalgia awareness and if you do anything, what do you do?
Hi Uhura, I believe it's good to make people aware, if we are able, but I have no problem talking about it, learning to put it in a nutshell or expand a little.
In the beginning, I thought I'd be going to print out some of my favourite images (search online for my >pics and memes that visualize fibromyalgia<) and put them on things like my lockers or folders, but as I usually don't flaunt "who" or the "way I am" (e.g. music group stickers or badges, pro-organic etc., & definitely no social media etc.) it doesn't seem to be right for me. I hate wearing stickers & pins, incl. my name etc. I'm a bag of surprises anyway, begging all boxes - if I tried to make people aware of all of them I'd have pins & stickers all over me...
So it's back to: explaining & visualizing by word of mouth, thinking / learning about how to do so...

Hi Uhura, I believe it's good to make people aware, if we are able, but I have no problem talking about it, learning to put it in a nutshell or expand a little.
In the beginning, I thought I'd be going to print out some of my favourite images (search online for my >pics and memes that visualize fibromyalgia<) and put them on things like my lockers or folders, but as I usually don't flaunt "who" or the "way I am" (e.g. music group stickers or badges, pro-organic etc., & definitely no social media etc.) it doesn't seem to be right for me. I hate wearing stickers & pins, incl. my name etc. I'm a bag of surprises anyway, begging all boxes - if I tried to make people aware of all of them I'd have pins & stickers all over me...
So it's back to: explaining & visualizing by word of mouth, thinking / learning about how to do so...
I am completely like you in this respect, Jay. No buttons or stickers for me.
I want to be seen in the world (if seen at all) as just another person, no identifying statements.
(although, to be completely honest, I do have a bumper sticker that indicates I like dogs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back